NEWS

[SR5] Troll Etiquette Adept

• 5 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <01-03-14/0332:50> »
I usually don't like to play adepts, I think this is first one I've made, I wanted to do something different than the usual Stealth/Unarmed/Bow/Gunslinger adept.

Meet Mr. Manners the Japanese Troll social adept.

I'm trying to come up with background story and better street name. Right now I have Nakama, which is Japanese for friend. I want to do Unique take on Dragon Slayer Mentor Spirit, he uses his Social Skills and connections in a to fight his battles. (Example: digging up dirt on corrupt politician and using Trid Pirate contact to ruin their career.) I think the Japanese background and philosophy fits nicely with Mentor Spirit, acting with honor and respect.
so far some story Ideas..

-Former Evo Corporate Manager, Maybe former Mr. Johnson
-Found himself often working for underworld when employed with Corporation
-Dragonslayer Mentor spirit calling. Felt he could do more good in shadows.

Thanks for any feedback

Metatype A, Attributes B Magic C Resources D and Skills E
« Last Edit: <01-03-14/1605:44> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

mrcatman

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-14/1253:16> »
If you're going against the grain, might as well do it all the way.

Take Assensing skill (and adept power/astral perception). I would imagine reading other people aura's would be key to his social interactions, especially with the boost from the adept power "enhance perception."

Give him more skills, especially all the social CHA-based ones. Capitalize on your strengths (and concept).

Adept power points (6):
  • Enhanced Perception to max rating 6 (3.0 PP total)
  • Improved Etiquette rating 3 (1.5 PP)
  • Astral Perception (1.0 PP)
  • Improved Senses rating 2 (0.5 PP); perfect pitch (recognize a change in someone's tone during negotiations), plus whatever one more (maybe select sound filter 1, to hear the conversation across the loud bar).

Metatype = A (Troll, 5 SAP = MAG 6 [4 pts], EDG 2 [1 pt], then EDG 3 w/karma below)
Skills = B (36/5)
Attributes = C (16)
Magic = D (MAG 2); raised to MAG 6 with meta SAP
Resources = E

ATTRIBUTES:
BOD 5 (+0) = 5
AGI 1 (+1) = 2
REA 1 (+1) = 2
STR 5 (+0) = 5
WIL 1 (+4) = 5
LOG 1 (+3) = 4
INT 1 (+3) = 4
CHA [max 5] 1 (+4) = 5

ACTIVE SKILLS:
Acting skill group 5 (con, impersonation, performance)
etiquette 6
negotiation 6
intimidation 6
perception 6
assensing 6
pistols 4 [semi-auto specilization] [5 pts]
computer 1

QUALITIES/KARMA
You had 27 pts of negative qualities (core rules limits this to 25, to my knowledge). I'd say dump bilingual positive quality and spend 3 knowledge points on Japanese to be proficient in it. That is -19 positive quality karma points (Excep.CHA+Mentor Spirit), and (say) +25 negative quality karma points, +25 starting building karma = 31 to spend during CharGen...

EDG 3 with karma (15 pts)
put the rest in contacts (16 pts)

CONTACTS:
(base 15 + 16 from karma = 31)
contact #1 = Con 4 / Loy 3
contact #2 = Con 3 / Loy 4
contact #3 = Con 2 / Loy 3
contact #4 = Con 1 / Loy 3
contact #5 = Con 1 / Loy 3
contact #6 = Con 1 / Loy 3
(tried to keep 6 contacts, all at "friend" loyalty 3 rating)

Just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: <01-03-14/1256:05> by mrcatman »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-03-14/1342:54> »
I will strongly second adding more skills.

Additionally you might look at prioritizing Intimidation as a social skill. Trolls will usually get a number of situational bonuses to Intimidation, and that can really help a Troll Face.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-03-14/1346:04> »
I know the thread title says "Etiquette Adept", but it might be a better idea for the version mrcatman posted to have Intimidation or Negotiation as the Improved Ability. Those get rolled more (I think I've seen Etiquette rolls only a few times and most of those were in L5R), so the power would see more use.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-03-14/1459:25> »
I know the thread title says "Etiquette Adept", but it might be a better idea for the version mrcatman posted to have Intimidation or Negotiation as the Improved Ability. Those get rolled more (I think I've seen Etiquette rolls only a few times and most of those were in L5R), so the power would see more use.
I think better way to describe character is Mr. Contacts. His goal is to make friends and get those friends to see how a mutual relationship could be beneficial for both parties involved.I wanted a character that could make friends at a Humanist Policlub Rally." You know I hate Trogs more then anyone right?, but that Japanese Troll is alright with me..He's so well spoken.."

Thanks for the replies especially the detailed response Mrcatman. :)

I think your thinking of this character as a Face. I'm imagining a  character that doesn't try to trick or con to achieve his goals, but uses favors, reputation, and contacts.Who is more sincere and genuine in his relationships.

I don't think Con, Impersonation or Performance really fit character concept.

I thought about taking Leadership instead of Negotiation and getting Commanding voice adept power. I would think Leadership could substitute for Negotiation in a lot of situations, especially with good role-playing.

Reading through the Assensing chapter in book, I can't seem to justify taking it, especially when character already has such high Perception. I think Assensing is way more useful to character that can Astrally Project. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot more useful information, that a successful Perception test wouldn't tell me. (Perception test: You see a thug with obvious cyberware, he looks pissed off.......ok I'm going to Assense him...You see a thug, he has low essence, you can tell by his aura that he's angry...Wow thanks Assensing Skill!, I'm so glad I spent 6 skill points on that)

Etiquette gets rolled a lot at games I play, and will be rolled more with this character who would be doing a lot of legwork.

It is really hard to take Resources E for a troll, Living the Troll lifestyle is expensive.

Magic Resistance 6 Adept power gives character unique ability to deal with mages, especially in resisting the more subtle magic that would be used in Social setting. I also kind of like having 17+ dice to shrug off fireballs.

I wanted to take Contacts that compliment each other well. For example:  Yakuza Contact knows wereabouts of Mafia killer that would help Knight Errant officer close a case. Knight Errant officer informs character of Sting targeting Yakuza.  Goal is to have Contacts that character can build repoir with, increasing their Loyalty and Connection, sometimes being the middleman between two contacts that would normally not associate with each other. Hopefully gaining even more Contacts through the ones already possessed, and building Network.  I would appreciate any ideas of any Contacts that might be more useful.

« Last Edit: <01-05-14/1747:45> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-05-14/1747:28> »
I Made Some Changes to Character.
Added Leadership and Commanding Voice.
Added Motorcycle

Register