NEWS

Shield drone.

• 31 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <01-09-14/2110:20> »
That means +4 dices in addition to shoeld balistic armor. 2 minutes thats about 40 CT's.

Keep in mind that it hasn't made the jump to 5e yet....

But all that means is the bad guy shoots it with his heavy pistol and destroys/disables it.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <01-12-14/0755:31> »
hmm thats pretty cool.

Would that make the shield the drone, or would it make a drone carrying a shield. Because thats a massive difference.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <01-12-14/2117:19> »
Turns the shield itself into a drone....

but can only be done on a "smart" weapon (smartlink) that has been upgraded with a pilot program (+Ą6000?)

And the upgrade itself is Ą22,500(?)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #18 on: <01-13-14/0511:46> »
Well technicaly, there is the way how to create such thing. If we have micro/mini drones with precise enought propulsion with enought power, this can be assembled somehow. The question is, if RAW would support such creativity.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <01-14-14/0731:43> »
right... why would a shield have a smartlink. :) That would be pretty stupid, also, that would be one way overprized drone, compared to its use.

So thats a no go afterall then.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-14-14/1246:51> »
IMO you need to think a bit innovative to put this thing to use, on the other hand, it can be great  advantage to have mobile cover in the firefight that alows you to use both your hands for something else, that is able to analyze incomming fire and possiton itself to provide maximal cover and even cooperate with othe drones like this to work more efficiently.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <01-18-14/1342:23> »
You know, when you put it like that it does sound seriously cool. :)

Looks like I'll need to look into this afteral.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #22 on: <01-19-14/0429:05> »
I actually love the idea.
Take a duelist and change one arm to a shield and the other to a firearm and you'll have a great close support drone or rigger defense drone.
Great story item as bodyguards or siege breakers
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-19-14/0705:44> »
It really is a great Idea a kind of Myrmidon Drone. I like it too :D

Strangely the text says that you can't switch the Swordarms for something else . I wonder how they want to explain this ingame ?
Everytime some mechanic   works on the Arms the RPG Police bursts into his Garage and arrests him for ...."not obeying the Rulesbook " ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <01-19-14/0707:19> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-19-14/1430:10> »
It really is a great Idea a kind of Myrmidon Drone. I like it too :D

Strangely the text says that you can't switch the Swordarms for something else . I wonder how they want to explain this ingame ?
Everytime some mechanic   works on the Arms the RPG Police bursts into his Garage and arrests him for ...."not obeying the Rulesbook " ?

HokaHey
Medicineman

Design flaw?
Method of articulation?
Limit of joint stress?

they do mention that the drone is more of a gimmick then an actual "combat" drone....

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <01-19-14/1455:38> »
Qquite easy to fix, all those problems.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <01-19-14/1603:26> »
Don't forget that even if the 'flight mode' is technically possible - and I want to say that I think an assault cannon with one is not Rules As Intended - that this flying shield drone is getting shot at as long as it's staying in your vicinity. A wheeled/tracked drone that basically carries mobile cover has already been developed, tested, and considered "too expensive for practical use" (read: present-day soldiers' lives are too cheap to deploy a mobile cover drone with them).

The idea has existed since late WWII when amphibious assault ships had the problem of troops on board getting machine gunned into red confetti when the armored ramp went down, so the first redrawing was to add a second armor plate at an angle on that boarding ramp so when the ramp dropped, the troops had at least an inch of steel between them and the machine gun...up until they had to actually leave the ramp. An idea of making it detachable so that soldiers could pick it up and advance cover down the beach was proposed, but I don't think that it was put into production even as a prototype.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-19-14/1617:21> »
Don't forget that even if the 'flight mode' is technically possible - and I want to say that I think an assault cannon with one is not Rules As Intended - that this flying shield drone is getting shot at as long as it's staying in your vicinity. A wheeled/tracked drone that basically carries mobile cover has already been developed, tested, and considered "too expensive for practical use" (read: present-day soldiers' lives are too cheap to deploy a mobile cover drone with them).

The idea has existed since late WWII when amphibious assault ships had the problem of troops on board getting machine gunned into red confetti when the armored ramp went down, so the first redrawing was to add a second armor plate at an angle on that boarding ramp so when the ramp dropped, the troops had at least an inch of steel between them and the machine gun...up until they had to actually leave the ramp. An idea of making it detachable so that soldiers could pick it up and advance cover down the beach was proposed, but I don't think that it was put into production even as a prototype.

If I remember correctly, it was not developed because the Brass thought it would just make the men bunch up behind it, thus being more of a target... and mobility was believed to be the infantryman's best defense...

Course, it was also the brass that thought solid wall formations WALKING towards machineguns and trenches was the best strategy during WW1...

And that parachutes would just encourage WW1 airmen to abandon their aircraft instead of engage the germans.... who did have parachutes....

Stupidity is a generational trait that we have yet to breed out of ourselves. ....

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-19-14/1626:52> »
You dont have to use it, nor even think about that idea, if you dont like it ;)

I even use Force fields in my games, techno-version of magical barrer.

I`ve seen such things as flying shields in games like Diablo or Raptor etc, so in my game, you are free to think this way :)

If I remember correctly, it was not developed because the Brass thought it would just make the men bunch up behind it, thus being more of a target... and mobility was believed to be the infantryman's best defense...

Course, it was also the brass that thought solid wall formations WALKING towards machineguns and trenches was the best strategy during WW1...

And that parachutes would just encourage WW1 airmen to abandon their aircraft instead of engage the germans.... who did have parachutes....

Stupidity is a generational trait that we have yet to breed out of ourselves. ....

You`ve just made my day :D

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #29 on: <01-20-14/2114:24> »
What stats would this kind of drone have? It's frontal armor must be high enough to stop rifle rounds while body armor would be neglect able
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?