NEWS

How do you balance encounters?

• 30 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <11-06-13/0508:52> »
Like I mentioned before, Chasin' The Wind is a bit different because it exists out of 3 short introduction runs. So yes, there's not much room within each run for players to go on a tangent with plans and such. You go to the spot (possibly after gathering intel) and dig around until you get the right thing. Normally there'd be more space to plan where to go, what approach to take and how to get what you want when you're there.

A better example would be the second mission of the Ork Underground storyline in Season 4: "Grab this guy, get him to the protests, get him noticed by the news in the Humanis group." You could grab intel, follow him, see where you wanted to grab him, and even then there was the matter of "how do you get him at the rally?" There's probably about half a dozen different fairly-popular approaches people used, from Faking It and Blackmail to Con and Drugging, and if the group screws up that means their next attempt will be harder. But there's also the "holy crap we got screwed fubarfubarfubar on the run, find this guy, talk to him, ohgodshegotshot thegangsarehere holycrapthecops andwaitshewhat?! Seriously, what?! Okay, that does it, I'm capping some mofos NOW" railroad Mission in that storyline, as well as some inbetweens. So the taste of the Missions is different and they don't all feel like "I just go around and do stuff until I get told I found the right answer".
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Register