NEWS

[SR5] Can initiate use masking on their quickened spells?

• 8 Replies

mrcatman

• Chummer
« on: <09-22-13/1819:54> »
Initiates can use the masking metamagic power to hide the auras of their bonded foci (one of which could be a spell foci for sustaining spells).

The quickening metamagic power sustains spells.

Both the foci and quickening require karma investment.

Considering the similarities we see between the sustaining foci and quickened spells, our mage was wondering if a Grade 4 initiate could mask 2 bonded foci and 2 quickened spells. RAW, it's no. But we're thinking yes.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: <09-22-13/2048:28> by mrcatman »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-22-13/1856:24> »
I'd say no, and maybe wait and see what Extended Masking will do, which in SR4 let you mask (quickened) spells as well.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mrcatman

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-22-13/2302:21> »
I'd say no, and maybe wait and see what Extended Masking will do, which in SR4 let you mask (quickened) spells as well.

Oh... that sounds cool. What was Extended Masking in SR4? Another Initiate metamagic power choice?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-13/0413:13> »
Yes, requiring Masking as prerequisite.

mrcatman

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-25-13/1719:07> »

Did Extended Masking from SR4 also let you mask spells sustained by the mage himself or via the Focused Concentration quality?

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-25-13/1749:48> »
In SR4, Masking only applied to your own aura, and Extending Masking extended it to actively sustained spells, quickened spells and active foci.

In SR5, they've extended the base Masking to Active Foci, with no mention of Sustained spells or Quickened spells. Seems kind of weird if they bring back Extended Masking just for those two, instead of moving the full effect of Extended to the base metamagic.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <10-25-13/1823:59> »
Nah, it serves as balancing aspect on buff-builds.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-26-13/0054:59> »
Seems a weird place to balance it as sustaining focuses are the primary point of a buff build. Though I guess with focused concentration its in a similar with sustained spells. 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <10-26-13/0149:36> »
meh, it's not that big a change....

under 4a, while masking could hide your aura, your foci still glowed to high heaven and couldn't get through a barrier.... and by the time you are actually ready to initiate, you probably had a couple of Foci... which made masking practically useless :(

now under 5, at least masking hides your foci as well taking the ability from practically useless, to "a good choice" (there are other good choices too, so now it really depends on what you wish to do)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.