NEWS

Using AR gloves to remotely run an RCC

• 6 Replies

deepomega

• Newb
« on: <01-27-14/1351:35> »
This is a little abstract, but: Rigger wants to use AR gloves to be able to run an RCC remotely. I know an RCC needs a DNI, so I'd imagine this would play as basically a dice penalty, smaller than just giving orders to a drone thru a commlink. All the rules on riggers are sketchy, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience/ideas on how to implement this.

martinchaen

« Reply #1 on: <01-27-14/1651:23> »
And what, exactly, does the player mean by "running an RCC remotely"?

The AR gloves just adds a haptic interface to existing AR; it's already possible to use the RCC through AR without gloves, the gloves would just allow the rigger to press virtual buttons. If he wants to leave his RCC at home and use AR to control his devices through AR, then give him penalties according to range as per the Noise and Matrix Use table on page 231...

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-27-14/1655:25> »
Describing precisely what your player wants to accomplish will help a lot. :) So please do so and we'll help, there are several ppl here hell-bent on helping riggers :)

deepomega

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-27-14/1658:47> »
The stated goal is a faster and less dice-penalty-y way to run an RCC thru AR. So instead of dropping into AR through goggles, which requires a simple action and a penalty to other actions, it'd be a non-visual way to use the "AR steering wheel" so to speak. I'm still ruminating on whether this is feasible or desirable.

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-27-14/1711:43> »
It's not really. (S)He NEEDS to see what (s)he's doing, that's like mandatory. Only exception would be if (s)he sees the actual drone or vehicle (s)he's remote controlling and can thus adjust somewhat. But even then (s)he'd be better off with the AR penalty I think.

I don't think you can go around the -2 AR penalty any way. I'm assuming a main goal here is to stick with the team, keep mobile... try to focus her/him on using her/his drones for tests - no AR penalty there (since (s)he is doing matrix actions). Keep a flying eye or sg around for perception and use a rotodrone or doberman or steel lynx (yummm) for combat. Meanwhile you still get to keep awareness to your surroundings, so it's a pretty good concept actually :)

If a situation arises in which there is a need to do non-matrix actions I think you can drop out of AR in an instant (if there is no Surprise I think)?
(sorry for all the (s)he's I'm not used to using so many pronouns in a sentence and it gets awkward)

martinchaen

« Reply #5 on: <01-27-14/1755:38> »
I think your player may be confusing AR and VR.

AR is described on page 229 as being "normal living in physical space with an AR heads-up display". You only take a -2 penalty to Perception tests in AR "if your attention is really focused on your AR display and not your surroundings", and even then it's up to the GM.

VR is also described (page 229 for cold sim and 230 for hot-sim), and in this mode your body goes limp and you're completely immersed. Hot-sim VR provides a +2 dice pool bonus to all Matrix actions (which includes Control Device).

Your player can operate vehicles according to the three (four) individual methods on page 265; manual control, remote control, rigger control, and autopilot.

Of these methods, manual and remote control can both be done in AR, while remote control and rigger control can be done in VR. Note that rigger control (aka Jumped In) requires VR, and cannot be done in any other way.

So, with the above information, we see that the rigger can in fact operate a vehicle with manual or remote control just fine without AR gloves; as long as the character has a means of obtaining AR (and AR gloves does not really add to anything game mechanics wise), the character gains benefits as described on page 201.

[EDIT]
Forgot to mention the most important thing; since AR is considered always on as long as you have the components for it, you'll never need to take an action to drop "into" AR. It sure sounds to me like your player is confusing AR and VR, as it's entirely possible to control a device in AR without penalties, and it is only VR that requires the "Switch Interface Mode" action as listed on page 243.
« Last Edit: <01-27-14/1808:20> by martinchaen »

deepomega

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-28-14/1728:17> »
There we go - I think the "always on" is what I/he was missing. We're just gonna let him use regular old AR for this. Thanks all!