NEWS

[SR5] - Edit File to create backdoor account?

• 32 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #30 on: <10-18-13/2103:08> »
**From my understanding of programming, which I admit is very small, I was lead to believe that the binary language of computers is the major hold back to actually developing artificial emotion and intelligence as Binary MUST answer every question in a "yes" or "no" (0.1), which precludes the possibility of "maybe"..... which in the minds of many researchers, is a needed expression for human thought. Again, there are users with more knowledge then me on here that may be able to shed more light on this area of advanced theory programming then I ever could.

Yeah, at one point when my players asked about storage capacity, I told them that they don't use binary anymore, they use quantum spin states of particles which can be a +1, -1 or a zero.  Mathematically, this is a base 3 numbering system.  I named it Trinary and described that whereas a binary "word" has 8 bits and counts up to 256, a trinary "word" has ONE extra digit and counts up to 19,693.

Now except for the math at the end there, I pulled all this out of my arse, but it served quite well to halt their second guessing dead in it's tracks.

and you never know, it could be a "trinary" language... or even worse/complex.

The point is WE don't know, cause the writers don't know :P And trying to figure out how something works based on what we know is not going to work.

to put it in persective, we are then 1750 ad citizen, trying to figure out how a jumbo jet flies.... No matter how smart we think we are (in 1750) we are just not going to grasp the technology needed to make a jumbo jet get off the ground.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #31 on: <10-21-13/0929:06> »
to put it in persective, we are then 1750 ad citizen, trying to figure out how a jumbo jet flies.... No matter how smart we think we are (in 1750) we are just not going to grasp the technology needed to make a jumbo jet get off the ground.

Speak for yourself! I know the work of Satan when I see it!) =))))
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <10-21-13/1028:10> »
The 1750 analogy doesn't really fit, since we've already got a manual on using things (4th edition), and while things have changed greatly since then, it's only a few years' worth of difference. So in that analogy, we'd be 1750 AD people who were already explained how airplanes work, and then are faced with either a jet or a spacecraft, depending on how different things are.
Also, according to Sleepy Hollow, 1750s people can totally adjust in the present.

Register