NEWS

[Recruitment {CLOSED} - 5e] From the Cradle to the Grave

• 51 Replies

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #15 on: <09-17-13/2237:36> »
I'm aware it's pretty sparse.  Of course, given their lack of prominence in world politics, I can't say I'm surprised.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Reminder

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-17-13/2246:09> »
It has more to do with most of their customers living in the Northern Hemisphere. The Middle East, South America, Australia, etc, receive much the same treatment.

TheDarkMessiah

• Chummer
  • 'Sup?
« Reply #17 on: <09-18-13/0348:27> »
I am thinking of making a Street Sam/Ganger character (never made one before - will be interesting with less gear!)

David 'Shango' Adeboje is a Yoruba tribesman from the Lagos sprawl, where he grew up (like so many others) as part of a tribe-based gang. However, Shango was both more ambitious and more talented than the average ganger and at a young age begun to take work on the side. In the shadows. WIth the money and rewards he earned by this, Shango lived a prosperous lifestyle (well, compared to his peers), even able to afford some basic 'ware.

However, it was not long before this was noticed and his greed in not sharing his profits angered his superiors and Shango was forced to flee to Kenya, where he wishes to make his reputation anew.

DISCLAIMER: I don't actually know too much about Africa and the various tribal identities myself, but having recently read 'Feral Cities' I thought this would be fun. Besides, all you Oyibos need a native guide ;)

Character idea is likely to change as I do more research into the Yoruba culture (though I do have a pretty solid grounding in the mythology, being a geek for that sort of thing, I didn't wanna be a mage 'cause it looks like we already have a couple applications for magic man.)
« Last Edit: <09-19-13/0337:39> by TheDarkMessiah »
“Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who sticks his nose out-of-doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.”

Speech | Thought | Matrix | Astral

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #18 on: <09-18-13/0649:36> »
i'd like to play a south african decker. he's moved Nairobi to land a corp job but landed himself on the wrong side of his boss and earned himself a black mark on his employment record. He's moved about since then and
he now works the shadows to make ends meet.
i'll get a sheet in to your inbox later if that ok?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-18-13/0728:55> »
I'd like to play a local hunter originating from one of the smaller towns. He came to the "big city" in hope of a better job. He utilized his knowledge of the wild areas and of local wildlife in hunts, both legal and illegal.

@Reminder:
I have a general outline for the character. Should i PM it to yo, as soon as i'm ready?
Also, i was looking for a car, but none of the ones listed in the book are jeeps. The closest is the pickup but it's too expensive and not really a fit. I was imagining a jeep, not the open ones but one of those closed safari jeeps. I have about 10k remaining, but i can spare another 5k if i must. What do you think?
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Red_Cap

• Newb
  • Sometimes, the dragon deals with you.
« Reply #20 on: <09-18-13/1641:46> »
If there's room for one more, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring.  I was thinking of going with a South African down-on-his-luck ex-merc, exiled from MET2000 for being a little too heavy on the trigger finger.
Looking for a PBP or Roll20 game, SR 4 or 5.  I'm not picky.

Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

Reminder

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-18-13/1650:42> »
i'd like to play a south african decker. he's moved Nairobi to land a corp job but landed himself on the wrong side of his boss and earned himself a black mark on his employment record. He's moved about since then and
he now works the shadows to make ends meet.
i'll get a sheet in to your inbox later if that ok?

If you want to do a sheet already, that is fine. Otherwise at least a bit more in depth character writeup would be appreciated.  I'll review whatever I have tomorrow and then start figuring out what we have to run with.

I'd like to play a local hunter originating from one of the smaller towns. He came to the "big city" in hope of a better job. He utilized his knowledge of the wild areas and of local wildlife in hunts, both legal and illegal.

@Reminder:
I have a general outline for the character. Should i PM it to yo, as soon as i'm ready?
Also, i was looking for a car, but none of the ones listed in the book are jeeps. The closest is the pickup but it's too expensive and not really a fit. I was imagining a jeep, not the open ones but one of those closed safari jeeps. I have about 10k remaining, but i can spare another 5k if i must. What do you think?

Send me whatever you want right now. If we decide to go with it, we will talk more about a vehicle at that point in time.

If there's room for one more, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring.  I was thinking of going with a South African down-on-his-luck ex-merc, exiled from MET2000 for being a little too heavy on the trigger finger.

You are welcome to make a submission if you like, but just know I am at 7 interested parties so I cannot guarantee you a spot (of course no guarantee everyone sticks around). I will start making decisions tomorrow, based on strength of concept and time of submission, in an attempt to be as fair as possible.

TheDarkMessiah

• Chummer
  • 'Sup?
« Reply #22 on: <09-18-13/1801:00> »
Err, I.changed his name from Tilo to Shango (more Yoruba-y) but forgot to change that in the factory. :/
“Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who sticks his nose out-of-doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.”

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #23 on: <09-18-13/1856:06> »
Have submitted more of a write up on the sheet I sent through. Went for a toyota gopher vehicle due
To fluff talking about prevalence in 3rd world. Hope that suits the game.
Can guarantee daily posts as I'm gm ing games on here already
Cheers
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

BestTeaMaker

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <09-18-13/2001:35> »
Street-level African based Shadowrun campaign?

Boy do I have characters for you! Two of them, in fact.
I'll leave the concepts here, sheets for if I get accepted. And it'd be cool to get accepted as I really want to play.

>>Tom-Tom
>>M 35
>>Dwarf
>>Face/Rigger

"You, American! Wanna see the best of African wildlife upclose? I, Tom-Tom, am best navigator around here! Cheap prices and wild adventure!"

>>Tom-Tom has seen it all. The roaming lions stalking the young antelope. The beauty of the setting sun against the Savannah. The calm of the oasis where giraffes and zebras rest. The close encounters with many a hippo or rhinoceros. The man is an expert of wildlife.

>>He is also an expert at lying, especially since it is ILLEGAL AS FUCK to set up private nature tours outside of approved corporate-run ones. However, there's just something about the man that draws people fresh off the airplane towards him. Maybe it's his smile, the way it makes them comfortable trusting their lives and nuyen to this short stranger. Maybe it's the amazing trick where his jeep navigates the streets of Nairobi automatically as Tom-Tom turns to face his customers with his smile. Maybe it's the brief yet in-depth tour of the wildlife that ends ten before one, right as corporate grunts patrol the wildlands for trespassers. And, thinking about it, some of them might have realized that they somehow missed EVERY patrol checkpoint on their way out of the city, As if their tour guide had hacked into the traffic registry and known ahead of time. And those shady people in the next tour, with those bulky bags? They didn't look like tourists. But, in the end, all they remember is the big smile and strong handshake Tom-Tom gives them when they wire their nuyen into his (rather secure) account, sending them back onto the plane with fond memories of lions, cheetahs, and Tom-Tom's smile.

As you can see, I'm playing up the tour guide bit. I mean, we're in Africa, and no one wants to play a black market safari tour guide/con man?

>>Mwanga
>>F 23
>>Elf
>>Aspected Mage/Gun Sammie

"Don't believe the lies these basha mzungu spout from their mouths about peace and prosperity in Africa. The kivuli dada know what they have done to my body. I will pay it back in full."

>>She was only twelve when she was captured and taken away, sold as a child prostitute. For three years, she has known only drugs, sex, and abuse in the Nairobi red-light districts. But these feelings did not leave her broken. No, they gave her resolve, a burning revenge. And that revenge manifested itself as vengeful spirits that were called to her aid, killing her captors. She ran into the streets, never to be seen by others in the light of day.

>>Rumors abound in the slums and streets alike. Of a mwanga, a witch, roaming the streets with her wretched sisters of shadow, spirits that drag even the bravest of men into the depths of hell itself. They whisper of a girl who is so young, and yet her eyes feel so old, so full of hate and anger and fear. But not many notice the young girl working as a waitress in Orteo's Cafe, a popular hangout for locals. And no one bats an eye when a businessman who has had too much to drink goes missing, last seen near Orteo's. But, sometimes she stares at the tall office buildings that the corporations have built, looming over the slums she sought refuge in all those years ago. The day will come, she tells herself, when the mzungu that sit in their ivory towers will pay for the sins they have wrought upon her and her homeland. But, even witches need money from time to time, and so she sometimes disappears, returning with a bit more money than a slummer should carry. But they don't really notice her. And that's how she likes it.

This one reflects the darker aspects of the world, more specifically the sex trade. I wanted to create a character who personified vengeance. I am also aiming to show how cool Aspected Mages can be if played right.
« Last Edit: <09-18-13/2026:34> by awchern »
The Shadow Sessions
OOC | IC

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-19-13/2014:08> »
I'll have to figure out a term for an African Johnson
Given that Kenya uses English heavily - the next most common, Kiswahili, is not shared by all of the tribesmen and most likely only the next most major language by a simple majority in a setting where a dozen languages may exist. With that being the case, "Johnson" is quite possibly what they're called in Shadowrun's Kenya (the position exists almost exactly the same now in the real world, though usually called "consultants" or some such). Alternatively, you can look up common names (Johnson was taken because it is so common it grants a degree of invisibility) and snatch one of those if you really don't want to use Johnson.

Reminder

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-19-13/2106:32> »
All right, I have reviewed the character concepts that were submitted, and it was quite a wide array of characters. To start out, I think we are going to run with six (I had initially intended on five but I hate to say no to someone when given the array of character types presented). I will be sending everyone that submitted a concept an individual PM, but for now so you can starting thinking about things, some general starting information:

Your starting team is comprised as such (Using forum names instead of individual for now since some have not settled on a final name):

JackVII                       Conjurer
Crunch                      Smuggler/Wheelman
Bewilderbeast         Social Adept
TheDarkMessiah    Street Sam/Ganger
Csjarrat                     Decker
Ren                            Big Game Hunter/Guide

For the rest that applied, I will hold your concepts/char sheets/whatever you sent me should someone drop out, and I will PM you at that time:
Red-Cap             Former Merc
awchern             SS-AM or Hunting Guide

I will make an OOC thread soon with more information, but some things to think about right now(I have charsheets to review and individual messages to send as I do before I get to that):
-Where does your character live now: In one of the major cities (Nairobi is the capital, and covers about 25k not counting the sprawling slums), while Mombasa is a port of ~1mil), the slums outside one, in a smaller town, tribal village, off the land?
-Think about your contacts and how you know them. If you are willing, tell me what your relationship is so I know better how to use them. Failing that, at least give them names and metatypes.
For those of you with a tribal background, what tribe do you hail from? If you are from around Kilimanjaro, it is likely one of the Gikuyu (Kikuyu), the Maasai, or the Kamba. Of these, the Kikuyu are by far the most populous (that doesn't mean they control the most territory). These three are also the most actively opposed the corps. If one of these doesn't fit what you envision, or you want to have even more of a back country tribal heritage, send me a PM and we can figure something out.

This map is accurate enough for chargen purposes to outline the national divisions on the African Continent. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120814160426/shadowrun/en/images/8/8a/Map_africa.jpg

Edited to add a note: Don't fret if you don't get a message right away. I am having to balance reviewing characters while babysitting my brother's 15mo old until Saturday. Incidentely, Crunch, he says your character is Naaninm (I may have misspelled that)
« Last Edit: <09-19-13/2304:28> by Reminder »

TheDarkMessiah

• Chummer
  • 'Sup?
« Reply #27 on: <09-20-13/0324:35> »
Sweet. I'm out up town tonight, but i'll try and whip up a character sheet tomorrow. If anyone with more experience with SS characters (or character creation in general) wants to PM me for a few pointers, that'd be cool. As I said before, I am usually a mage type.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #28 on: <09-20-13/0756:18> »
Thanks for the slot mate, will tweak the sheet this weekend
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #29 on: <09-20-13/0833:02> »
Thanks for picking me, Reminder. Looking forward to playing with the rest of you. I'll develop my character and background a bit more over the next few days.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal