NEWS

Shadowrun core mechanic

• 10 Replies

Dracain

• Omae
« on: <09-20-13/0353:16> »
I've been working on a little side project recently, just a little PnP to play with friends mostly, but before I can go much further then setting, I need to decide a core mechanic.  Now, that got me thinking about the different core mechanics in games, and the OGL, and other such things.  My question in the end is simple though, If someone wanted to release a game that used the same "role D6s, 5&6 are successes, half pool of 1s is a glitch/botch" system, would that be infringement?  I know SR has never used the OGL, but I am wondering if something like that base mechanic is covered as well. 

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-20-13/0450:10> »
You can't claim the mechanical bits of a game (meaning the way that dice are used) as product identity or get a copyright on them... but all the other details (like what you call a certain mechanic) can be protected to some degree.

That said, you can use the d6 dice pool methods seen in Shadowrun... but the safest bet is to not use the words "hit", "glitch", and "critical glitch" when doing so.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-20-13/0620:56> »
You can't claim the mechanical bits of a game (meaning the way that dice are used) as product identity or get a copyright on them... but all the other details (like what you call a certain mechanic) can be protected to some degree.

That said, you can use the d6 dice pool methods seen in Shadowrun... but the safest bet is to not use the words "hit", "glitch", and "critical glitch" when doing so.
Thanks for the answer, that was driving me crazy.  I was wondering because there is stuff like the SRD which seems to have the D20 system under lock and key, but allows people to use it as open game content. 

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-20-13/1115:36> »

Thanks for the answer, that was driving me crazy.  I was wondering because there is stuff like the SRD which seems to have the D20 system under lock and key, but allows people to use it as open game content.
The license is not for "you roll a d20, add modifiers, and try to equal or exceed some number" though - it is for all the other parts that it allows you to use.

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-27-13/1638:00> »
Maybe not the best examples, because such terms are used in other games as well as in a totally different context. There are a lot of proper names and a detailed game world which exclusively refer to Shadowrun. Creating a modified clone of the game and just copy&paste parts is definitely a copyright issue. But developing a game for a different genre/setting and invest time and creativity in making the rules, poper names and content fit this genre while expressing everything in your own words should not be problem.

I cannot tell how much copyright might apply to the different aspects of a role-playing game at all. Content like media is always copyrighted, but altogether this is a question for a lawyer. Several game mechanics used in Shadowrun (especially SR4 and SR5) were basic approaches used in other D6 low-roller and D10 systems before. Computer games also feature quite some similar game play or follow certain user interface ideas. This is more about the technical implementation of abstracted realism. Plot, setting, media and a good title is what really make the money - creative ideas binding fans/customers.

Do not touch the registered trademark in terms of making your work benefit from the success of Shadowrun originated from the style and attitude cultivated. Then you should be pretty save. To clarify things conclusively you will have to ask a professional or sent a query to CGL directly. Personally, I would discard the latter option, because without any legal considerations I in place of CGL would say "No way!" proactively  ;D

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <09-27-13/1739:04> »
yea. Talk to a Lawyer.

copywrite laws and patent laws are complex things that law firms make millions arguing over.... and no one here can give a full answer that will protect your butt.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-27-13/1912:02> »
I made an error in reasoning when comparing computer games and "written" game systems. For CGs it is more about reengineering source code for the implementation of a mechanic which is generally not open to read while a board, tabletop or PnP game's mechanics are rather creative work that can be copied directly. And i have to admit reading about the details of the OGL the first time today. So yes, the core mechanics can be very well copyright protected.

You are thinking about a little fun project and if this will not be a economical competetive product to Shadowrun I still think you could publish it on the internets without risking CGL to put hell of a litigation on your head. From my own experience I know about CG publishers how took legal actions against open source game projects which were way to close to their product identity. This again was mostly because of the projects name and what I have said in my preceding post: Benefiting from the success of a trademarked title.

Nevertheless, the first thing to tell you should have been: No, it is copyright violation! And then start to relativize the statement. Small free project, different title and setting, fanbased work and so on...
« Last Edit: <09-27-13/1920:31> by mjack »

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-27-13/2341:50> »
Core mechanics in all likelihood can't be copyrighted, but nobody has tested it to destruction. One of the main ideas behind the OGL was to create a safe harbor so nobody had to risk it.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-27-13/2344:43> »
Thanks for the extra information.  I don't plan on using any setting info or anything like that.  If I did use anything from Shadowrun, it would just be the roll d6 5&6 are successes etc. 

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-28-13/0005:29> »
I think "roll a die and one or more numbers is a success" is about as old as dice themselves. You're probably safe.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-29-13/0026:03> »
I think "roll a die and one or more numbers is a success" is about as old as dice themselves. You're probably safe.
True, but the specific variation Shadowrun uses is what I am talking about...Not to mention, I will never stop being amazed at what people can be sued over. 

Register