NEWS

Notoriety

• 26 Replies

TX_DM

« Reply #15 on: <08-30-13/1556:54> »
I'll tell you what I do, I look around me to figure this one out.

If you get known for shooting the people who you are supposed to be doing jobs FOR, and tons of collateral damage and acting like a psychopath, then nobody wants anything to do with you. You keep tripping on people, showing up in bars, acting the tough-guy and the like, and eventually you'll find a very, very high grade tranquilizer in the beer you just ordered and end up an organ donor. End of Story.

If you get known for being a 'Stand Up Guy' doing the job with honor, integrity and most importantly, protecting the profit margins of your employer, you get loyalty from those employers back. Sometimes that doesn't protect you from a stray bullet, but it means the difference between tapping a Fixer for a favor to pay your hospital bill and ending up as spare parts in a vat.

Ya see this is a given do we all really need rules for us to use this common sense?   Not really and as far as GM's coming up with something or being "forced" to use some rules that are written.  I can tell you from being a long time GM/DM is that rules are nothing but tools to begin with to be discarded at whim when those rules prohibit a potentially more "fun" possibility or a more eventful time or inhibit the story.  So there's no such thing as a rule forcing you to do anything.  In fact thats why there are house rules. 

My point is why bother with any of the categories.  Why not just say hey keep track of how well your players do and reward or hurt them based on these facts?  They're really just general guide lines and without a real definition for new players shouldn't be in the book.  It appears that it should be linked to loyalty ect,. looks like there could be some potential there but ultimately it's down to each individual person to come up with it.

Some people like to have rules, they may not want to offend their friends by saying things like "You're acting like a psychopath in the game and that's why your character of the last six months is dead"

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #16 on: <08-30-13/1656:58> »
Also, with a high enough notoriety, the discovery that you have six or seven guys after you to try and collect a two nuyen award.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #17 on: <08-30-13/2329:06> »
I'll probaly just use 4th edition rules for it, as I have the book. But selectively enforce them, rather than put them into every encounter.

Public Awareness is easier. I'll just set a number and tell the players ahead of time that at this mark your runner must either retire or "go visit the plastic surgeon."

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #18 on: <08-30-13/2340:04> »
Don't forget you can burn Street Cred to lower Public Awareness.  Or they could always try signing on with Kane.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <08-31-13/0503:38> »
Don't forget you can burn Street Cred to lower Public Awareness.
Not in SR5. Since Public Awareness no longer has an automatic [(StreetCred+Notoriety)/3] component, lowering Street Cred and Notoriety doesn't matter either.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Faradon

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-04-13/1112:04> »
"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both." - Niccolo Machiavelli

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <09-05-13/0007:01> »
Don't forget you can burn Street Cred to lower Public Awareness.
Not in SR5. Since Public Awareness no longer has an automatic [(StreetCred+Notoriety)/3] component, lowering Street Cred and Notoriety doesn't matter either.
This doesn't necessarily mean that the GM shouldn't allow the characters to work hard to lower their Public Awareness, or even to not still link PA to both Street Cred and Notoriety; IMO, burning Street Cred at double the amount listed for Notoriety might do well to lower PA.  Again IMO, only a really flamboyant runner (Kane) or someone who makes a point of getting their name out there, who are trying to be famous (again, Kane, but IMO certain other 'street legends' as well) should retain a high level of Public Awareness.

Also, as people are constantly getting bombarded with new material, IMO (yeah, yeah) things like Street Cred, Notoriety, and Public Awareness should recede over time presuming they're not being constantly 'added to' - down to perhaps half their maximum level.  Current and Permanent  levels, as it were.  Adds some more granularity to the game, I admit, so ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-05-13/0125:04> »
What the heck is the effect of these various things such as notoriety, street cred, public awareness?  How do you apply it in your sessions?
I'm playing Shadowrun for  nearly 15 Years now (SR2,3,4A ) We never used Notority,etc. And it worked quite fine
Sometimes, on rare Ocasions, a GM uses the charackters karma  as a modifier.
On a few ocasions some Chars got the pos Qual "good Repution" (+2 Dice on social rolls) for free as a Bonus reward for good roleplaying.
(The opposite is also possible but even rarer, IIRC)

with a notorious Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <09-05-13/0132:21> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Gripper

• Newb
  • Good luck! *Passes out*
« Reply #23 on: <11-23-13/2152:50> »
Since it's not specified in the book, I'm using a variation on the SR4A rules (including a change to Street Cred)

1) Street cred counts as bonus dice when making social tests where knowledge of you would be a factor (when negotiating with a Johnson for instance). As an alternative, you can use use the SR5 rule which increases your social limit instead. You can also split the pool between bonus die and limits if you choose to do so.
2) Depending on he situation, notoriety counts as a negative or positive modifier to ones street cred. In situations in which the character is attempting to gain a persons trust or win them over, notoriety counts as a negative modifier. In situations involving intimidation or fear, notoriety counts as a positive modifier. In either event the one being influenced must know the character.
3) Public Awareness acts as a dice pool modifier for a person outside the shadows to have heard of you. This can possibly act as a negative modifier on street cred in situations where discretion is an issue.
« Last Edit: <11-24-13/1119:14> by Gripper »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <11-24-13/0442:43> »
I have to say I find it really amusing that someone would describe an SR5 Core rule as a houserule.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Gripper

• Newb
  • Good luck! *Passes out*
« Reply #25 on: <11-24-13/1118:53> »
Ha! Was a bit sleepy when writing that. I meant to say "as an alternative"

Vidnaut

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <12-07-13/1302:11> »
How does one lower Public Awareness?  Simple!  Drop off the face of the Earth!

Quote from: Safehouses pg. 11-12
Off The Grid
Living off the grid can be done by dropping a character’s
lifestyle down to squatter or street level using the rules laid out
on p. 267, SR4A, and specifically avoiding contact with anyone
whenever possible. The public awareness portion of reputation
can drop at the gamemaster’s discretion while living off the grid
for long periods of time to simulate the fleeting fame of the Sixth
World."

One can literally copy-paste the lifestyle rules from 4e IMO seamlessly since it seems there's worldwide rent control in the 2070s.

Register