Off-topic > Off-off-topic

Tron: Legacy

(1/7) > >>

FastJack:
So, I didn't get a chance to talk about it (mainly because I seem to be super busy right now...), but I got a chance to go see the 23-minute sneak preview of Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3D last Thursday. Here's what I came away with:

* The sneak preview's 23 minutes was all from the first half of the movie. And, from what I can tell, every trailer, commercial and teaser that's been released/shown is all from the first half of the movie. This means they're doing a terrific job of keeping the second half quiet.
* The beginning of the movie is not 3D. Let me repeat that: The beginning of the movie is not 3D. Much like Wizard of Oz, when they are showing the real world, the movie is plain old 2D. Then, when he crosses over to the Grid, the 3D comes out. And boy, does it come out.
* It was filmed the same way as Avatar. So, instead of them running around a stage and some guy's holding a green pole with a green sign saying "Look Here!", the actors were in the VR suits that projected a wireframe/graphics-light AR Display on HUD screens on helmets so they could actually interact with the environment. And, like Avatar, these helmets had mini-cameras in them to catch the actors reactions to that interaction for times when they needed to CGI their faces (e.g. Clu was played by Jeff Bridges in T:L, but they de-aged him 20 years).
* Daft Punk did the entire score of the movie and have cameos in the Grid
* These aren't your father's Grid games. Disc and the Bike game have been seriously and awesomely upgraded
Overall, I cannot WAIT for this to come out. I'll be home in PA for Christmas when it does, but we are making a trip to a wrap-around IMAX theater go go see this. (For those of you in MN, go to the IMAX at the zoo... they have the wrap-around as well and the screen is MUCH larger than in the AMC theatres).

Now, for you kiddies too young to remember the original Tron, this is the movie that defined the idea of cyberspace/the Matrix for a lot of people. Without Tron, I don't know if the idea of VR would have caught hold like it has. For sure the Wachowski Brothers wouldn't have made The Matrix (don't care about the sequels) and I don't know if William Gibson & Friends would have gotten far with Cyberpunk. So it's an imperative that you young 'uns go see this movie at Christmas (heck, we might even be able to topple that rip-off Avatar from the king of box-offices).

Medicineman:
I'm sooooo looking forward to the Release (been a Tron Fan too)
@Fastjack
So you advice watching it in 3D ?

with a TwoDimensional Dance
Medicineman

FastJack:
Well, I'm going to go see it in IMAX 3D, just so I'm completely absorbed into the movie. But, I do have to say, the 3D effects were good, but not jaw-dropping spectacular--although, I don't know of any 3D movie that is.

Overall, I never can really recommend 3D over normal 2D since it's a gimmick; plain and simple. However, I don't think any of the IMAX showings will be in 2D anyway.

Usda Beph:
I was around for the first Tron and avioded it like the plague. I thought it was the dumbest looking thing I had ever seen! Fast forward several decades & I am impatiently waiting for the sequal! I still think the original is a waste of film (understand not the concept but the delivery), but then again FX were not up to what the story needed at the time.

Crossbow:
Tron is definitely on the to do list, saw the original in theaters and I loved it, when I heard about the new one I got the same thrill I had when I heard about the second Star Wars Trilogy, though obviously on a smaller scale.  The tech is there to do it right now, so I hope they do it justice with a good story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version