NEWS

SR5: my first technomancer

• 24 Replies

grid_roamer

« Reply #15 on: <08-24-13/0653:32> »
Oh wow I always though Hacking's specialties were for specific actions, not targets, for some reason. Nifty.

Attributes A, Skills B, Magic C, Metatype D, Nuyen E is classic Technomancer. I'm not sure its the best, but it is good.
At the moment I'm toying with Magic A, Attributes B, Metatype C, Skills D, Nuyen E -- Possibly swapping Skills and Metatype. Or something closer to your build.

Question, are you okay on "Hacking" through the use of Sprites and Complex Forms? If so, you can completely nix Hacking, Electronic Warfare, and Cybercombat. Maybe nab a point in each so you can spend Edge in the case of emergencies, but otherwise you can get by with Sprites and Complex Forms. If you want to branch out into Hacking proper later you can do so with Skillwires supported by a Machine Sprite easily enough. If you go this rout, consider swapping Willpower and Logic.

I actually recommend pumping Focused Concentration up even more, then you can use Infusion of Sleaze or infusion of Firewall as needed. That's what makes Focused Concentration worth it, IMO. If you don't pick up Infusion of [Sleaze / Firewall], don't bother with Focused Concentration.

For your Complex Forms, nix Stitches and Diffusion of Firewall. Replace with Editor and Infusion of [Firewall]. I'd just replace Static Veil with Cleaner. Its the same effect, cheaper, more versatile, and you don't have to sustain it very long.

What do you plan on doing when you're not in the Matrix?

I disagree....
A Technomancer/Decker combination looks pretty potent....

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-24-13/0722:20> »
What part are you disagreeing with, exactly? Decker + Technomancer is beyond fantastic, I don't think I implied the contrary? If I did, it was an accident.

Now, A Technomancer/Decker combination on the same character isn't viable... You'll never get enough Nuyen to buy a good deck.

grid_roamer

« Reply #17 on: <08-24-13/0736:37> »
What part are you disagreeing with, exactly? Decker + Technomancer is beyond fantastic, I don't think I implied the contrary? If I did, it was an accident.

Now, A Technomancer/Decker combination on the same character isn't viable... You'll never get enough Nuyen to buy a good deck.

You don't understand my post..... :D
I'm talking about the validity of the Technomancer/Decker. The topic of this thread.....

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-24-13/1052:33> »
I thought Decker referred to people with cyberdecks? A technomancer who hacks would be better described as a Technomancer Hacker.

grid_roamer

« Reply #19 on: <08-24-13/1059:49> »
I thought Decker referred to people with cyberdecks? A technomancer who hacks would be better described as a Technomancer Hacker.

*shrughs*

The skillset above are hacking skills a Decker would need. Unless they don't need a deck somehow....

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <08-24-13/1622:58> »
Oh, I see what you man. A Technomancer who classically hacks through his Living Persona is possible, but highly resource intensive and you wind up being worse than a straight Decker--at least until you nab some Skillwires. Its not bad, you aren't a horrible person for doing it, but understand that it means the Matrix will be basically all you can do.

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <08-28-13/0035:24> »
You can see my take on a Magic A, Attributes B, Metatype C, Skills D, Nuyen E Technomancer by following the link. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hi DMK,

I considered a dwarf at first before I hit upon the ork poser backstory. We created very similar TM's. I'm curious to see how they work in practice.

And thanks for reminding me about starting with a registered sprite. Now I know what to do with those three last karma!
« Last Edit: <08-28-13/0040:00> by thinklibertarian »

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <08-28-13/0038:11> »
What do you plan on doing when you're not in the Matrix?

Hi SoulGambit.

The concept mentioned he works in a garage during the day and surfs at night. He has the Engineering Group at 2.

It's not much, but he is a grease monkey in training.

« Last Edit: <08-28-13/0041:51> by thinklibertarian »

lunarboy4

• Newb
  • What is it with you guys and Burritos?
« Reply #23 on: <09-06-13/1046:11> »
What kind of sprite are you thinking of having? I would always recommend a fault sprite if you are looking for a "matrix bodyguard" or a crack sprite if you are looking for a sprite to help you with hacking. A crack sprite working in tandem with you to hack into a node means that the node has to split its resources to stop you both, and that is sometimes just the advantage you need. A fault sprite as a bodyguard is always fun, especially if they use their supression power, leaving them weaker for you to resonance spike them to bricking. And damaging them in the process. :)
Team combinations that can only end in bad things. A psychopathic mage with an obsession for proper table manners and a Sea lion shifter who is still fairly new to society and not really socialized yet... My vote is with the Sea Lion, personally.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #24 on: <09-06-13/1059:35> »
Just to clarify:

Crack sprites have the Suppression Power. While awesome, Suppression just delays IC from coming on line.
Fault Sprites have Electron Storm, which inflicts matrix damage and increases their noise (which is also pretty great). Note though that noise doesn't effet defense or resistance tests.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal