NEWS

[SR5] Gimme back sport rifles!

• 43 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-19-13/2255:48> »
Didn't 3rd Edition have this thing where you could default to a related skill instead of just using Attribute - 1? That seems like it might have been important to making something like that work.

If I remember right, related skill was the -1 and the further you got away from the proper skill the higher the penalty was. It wouldn't be necessary to go that far though. Getting rid of the Skill Web was a good thing, but combining the skills was just silly.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-19-13/2256:36> »
Can I go old school and say I'm nostalgic for Firearms as a skill?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-19-13/2306:18> »
Can I go old school and say I'm nostalgic for Firearms as a skill?

*shudders*

The skills need to be as specific as possible, not as general as possible.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-19-13/2340:39> »
Didn't 3rd Edition have this thing where you could default to a related skill instead of just using Attribute - 1? That seems like it might have been important to making something like that work.

If I remember right, related skill was the -1 and the further you got away from the proper skill the higher the penalty was. It wouldn't be necessary to go that far though. Getting rid of the Skill Web was a good thing, but combining the skills was just silly.

The point is that defaulting to related skills made that more specific system functional - without it, such a system cannot work.  The balance point between specificity and generality is very much sensitive to the system the skills have to exist in.  Frankly, balance wise, the skills are at a very good point now - Pistols covers the most concealable weapons, Longarms covers the best main combat weapons, and Automatics provides both, but inferior versions thereof.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <08-20-13/0044:58> »
One of the things that always bothered me was that you could just take a mess of point in say, automatics, and not have a clue about a basic pistol - I've fired an awful lot of guns, from as small as a 22 caliber pistol to a spencer rifle, to an AR... I can't imagine knowing hot to use an automatic weapon but not a clue about a pistol or rifle... at least a little bit.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-20-13/0050:55> »
One of the things that always bothered me was that you could just take a mess of point in say, automatics, and not have a clue about a basic pistol - I've fired an awful lot of guns, from as small as a 22 caliber pistol to a spencer rifle, to an AR... I can't imagine knowing hot to use an automatic weapon but not a clue about a pistol or rifle... at least a little bit.

I can kinda understand where you're coming from. In my experience, the progression goes shotgun -> hunting rifle -> pistol and then if you go military you learn the other stuff.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-20-13/0059:19> »

You could house rule in some sort of defaulting to related skill...  Maybe a -3 penalty with a limit reduction?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-20-13/0101:48> »

You could house rule in some sort of defaulting to related skill...  Maybe a -3 penalty with a limit reduction?

I'd imagine he's thinking more of somethink like "skill prerequisites", which is why I said 'kinda'. That wouldn't be such a great idea, but I can see why someone would want to do it.

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <08-20-13/0106:13> »
Well, it is a game, and while I won't make my players go that road when they're playing for me, I tend to pick up points in longarms and pistols before I pick up automatics when I'm a player.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <08-20-13/0648:24> »
You mean Substituting skill, at e.g. a -3 dice pool penalty? Would be a GM call, not a houserule, page 130, red block.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-20-13/0655:50> »
One other reason not to split things like that is that out of those 8 skills, 6 currently fall in the Firearms skill group, which means that such a split would be highly unfair to those with Priority C or lower in Skills.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-20-13/0704:21> »
You mean Substituting skill, at e.g. a -3 dice pool penalty? Would be a GM call, not a houserule, page 130, red block.

Huh.  I completely missed that that box existed.  Kinda funny that I arrived at the same number, but given that I used the skill rank descriptions to get there maybe not so surprising.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bonx

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <08-20-13/1439:46> »
The Firearms GS I would like to see would be:

- Handguns skill (pistols, revolvers, machine-pistols, SMGs)
- Longarms skill (shotguns, sport rifles, assault rifles, sniper rifles)
- Machine Guns skill (light, medium, heavy)

The Heavy Weapon skills would then encompass grenade-launchers, rocket-launcher, assault canon, all miniguns.
« Last Edit: <08-20-13/1658:10> by Bonx »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #28 on: <08-20-13/1444:29> »
What about Assault Rifles?_?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Bonx

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <08-20-13/1658:59> »
Omission corrected.