NEWS

out with the new in with the old????

• 20 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #15 on: <08-22-13/1551:09> »
Old Cyberdecks are 1980s style keyboards (Although they usually look like MIDI boards) with a high-end computer inside.  New Cyberdecks are like Tablets, with a high-end computer inside.

I paid extra to make sure my new deck still loks like a keytar from 1st Ed.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <08-22-13/1604:08> »
2. On a game balance side it was far too cheap and easy to be a decker on the side.
And thus Mungo was born.
Mungo wuz 1337.  Nawo izn't.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-22-13/2240:15> »
the in game reason was given. But 2 reasons spring to mind.

1. the term Decker is shadowrun, other games have hackers or netrunners, Shadowrun had Deckers,.  Its bringing back a brand name instead of using the generic.Little things like this and the slang are important to create a more distinct brand identity and feel to the game.

Some of us never stopped using "decker". :)

Yah the people I game with always used decker.  I suspect the longer you've played the more often you are stuck on the old terms, old habits and all that.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <08-23-13/0056:37> »
Decker was still used by Saints Row The Third after all.  ;D  (Yes, they knew the origin of it, yes, they admitted they were Shadowrun fans!)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

grid_roamer

« Reply #19 on: <08-23-13/0540:57> »
More importantly the revamp of the hardware pretty much makes the casual Matrix user unremarkable to the Hacker types. It's very hard to justify preying of some random individual with a comlink....

Except to steal their identity.

I guess the file abstraction still applies to cominks.
plenty to steal there.... :-[

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-23-13/1256:21> »
1. the term Decker is shadowrun, other games have hackers or netrunners, Shadowrun had Deckers,.  Its bringing back a brand name instead of using the generic.Little things like this and the slang are important to create a more distinct brand identity and feel to the game.

Pretty sure Randall confirmed that this was definitely a part of the logic. Check out the interview w/ d6 Mafia