NEWS

SR, Fifth Edition Compatability

• 10 Replies

roguecaliber

• Newb
« on: <07-30-13/0519:31> »
I'm somewhat new to Shadowrun, so I've decided to start with the current edition.

I see that Catalyst made a list of sourcebooks from previous editions that are compatible with SR4:
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-resources/shadowrun-fourth-edition-compatability/

Not sure how accurate it is (An example would be "Bug City", wasn't that nuked of all or most of the bugs?), but perhaps most of the fluff from the various books can be altered by adhering to the new timeline?

Would this list, for the most part, work in SR5?

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-13/0637:35> »
The fluff from other books should work pretty well. Please keep in mind that SR5 is set about 5 years after SR4, after the Corps did a major Rewrite of the Matrix protocols. All of the older books are 'history' books only, at this point.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-13/0749:15> »
The fluff from other books should work pretty well. Please keep in mind that SR5 is set about 5 years after SR4, after the Corps did a major Rewrite of the Matrix protocols. All of the older books are 'history' books only, at this point.

Well, yes and no.  It's set about 5 years after SR4 *starts*.  Shadowrun 4th edition ran for about 5 in-game years, from 2070 to 2074.  Shadowrun 5th picks up in 2075, so there's no "time jump" between the end of 4th and the beginning of 5th.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #3 on: <07-30-13/0833:46> »

Well, yes and no.  It's set about 5 years after SR4 *starts*.  Shadowrun 4th edition ran for about 5 in-game years, from 2070 to 2074.  Shadowrun 5th picks up in 2075, so there's no "time jump" between the end of 4th and the beginning of 5th.

Guess I should have read the timeline a bit closer.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-30-13/0837:02> »
Would this list, for the most part, work in SR5?
It should, background information from old books are just as usable for SR5 as they where for SR4.
But do note most of it is just history, there isn't much that is directly relevant to current event except as what happened before sort of way.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-30-13/0845:54> »
All good.  you were kinda right.  It is 5 years since SR4...  Sorta :)

To answer the original question...

Anything that's not rules is still applicable, in it's way.  It's history, at the very least. 

When I'm writing Seattle, for example, I utilize all three of the Seattle sourcebooks (From 1st, 3rd, and 4th editions).  Now that I'm doing Chicago for Season 5 of Missions, I make sure to have Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America (1st ed, which has a small section on Chicago), Bug City (2nd ed), Target: UCAS (Which has a large chapter that follows up on Bug City events 3 years later), and Feral Cities (4th ed, and has a large chapter on 2070's Chicago).

If you're going to be using a location or a setting or a theme, all the books can be useful, because while they will double up on some information, each product often still has unique information to it as well that can be useful and can offer inspiration.

And even older rulebooks can still be outstanding from a perspective and fluff standpoint.  The 1st and 2nd ed gear books, for example, all had plenty of Shadowtalk in them giving insight into the items they're discussing, plus adding some excellent reading and flavor.  Awakenings and the 1st or 2nd ed grimoire are still, IMO, must-reads if you're playing a magically active character.

You don't NEED anything but the current edition.  And the older books will have lesser or greater value depending on what you're doing.  But to me, it's like saying "Is World War II worth reading about?  It's 80 years ago, who cares what happened?"  It may be 80 years ago, but it's had a direct impact on how the world was shaped, so it's still worth knowing what happened.

Bull

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-30-13/0950:26> »
So Season 5 is going to be in Chicago? I guess we're going to get a lot of characters who came there on the trail of their father's killers.

Regarding the "history": what happened in the city you're in in the past few decades could be inspiration for the Knowledge skills of your characters, or for specific runs. Seattle has the whole Ork Underground and Brackhaven angle, Chicago has a lot of supernatural bogeys... at the very least, I'd borrow someone's copy of the 4th edition core and read the history section, as it has a summary of the 2012-2072 major events (with a little bit of 1999-2012 in there).

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-30-13/1012:34> »
It's also worth noting that if your players are just starting there's nothing saying you couldn't adapt Bug City to SR 5. Heck Queen Euphoria -> Universal Brotherhood -> Bug City would be a heck of a fun campaign to start with for characters new to the setting.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-30-13/1211:36> »
It's also worth noting that if your players are just starting there's nothing saying you couldn't adapt Bug City to SR 5. Heck Queen Euphoria -> Universal Brotherhood -> Bug City would be a heck of a fun campaign to start with for characters new to the setting.

they certainly were teh first time! :)

(Bul the ork Decker's home game was set in Chicago, picked randomly before Bug City came out. :))

roguecaliber

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-31-13/0031:40> »
It's not often that someone directly connected with a product responds, thanks Bull! I really appreciate the other responses as well.

So books like Mr. Johnson’s Little Black Book, Runner's Havens, Spy Games, ect...would more than likely still hold up as mostly current?

Queen Euphoria,Universal Brotherhood, and Bug City do sound like a lot of fun, though I would need to roll back the timeline some 20 odd years?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-31-13/0124:37> »
With new players largely unaware of the setting you could just whitewash the history and start the adventure in the 70s.