NEWS

[SR5] Quick question - Quick answer thread

• 347 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #345 on: <04-02-14/0509:22> »
Does a power focus add dice or add to effective magic rating?  That is, if I have 4 Magic and a rating 3 power focus, can I cast force 7 spells without risking physical drain (and other force-related effects and formulae following suit)?
In short, the fluff talk is raising 'effective' Magic, which as in-game mechanic solely has a dicepool bonus on your Sorcery/Conjuring/Alchemy tests. This means no impact on overcasting or PP, but also no stacking with Spellcasting/Dispelling/Conjuring/alchemicalstuff foci that also add dice. The math is that if you have more than ... 3 iirc?... different kinds of things you'd like a Focus on, Power Focus is superior.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #346 on: <04-02-14/1216:33> »
Hmm I thought that power focus vs drain issue came up the other day and we determined that it does effect drain.  I don't have a book in front of me to double check the wording but I was convinced at the time.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #347 on: <04-02-14/1603:05> »
Definitely not the case. Didn't do so in SR3 either, and the phrasing hasn't really changed since SR4: It's just a dicepool bonus on any test that has +Magic in it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!