NEWS

Mystic Adept Questions in 5e

• 8 Replies

Argentis

• Newb
« on: <07-16-13/1648:47> »
Hi guys, I have been looking over the 5e corebook, and I just want to double check that I have this right.

Mystic adepts start with their magic rating dicttated by the priority (let's pick A for instance).

This gives a magic of 6.  I then have the option to purchase power points up to 6.

Now, say I go and buy 6 power points to invest in adept powers, is my magic still 6 for spellcasting, summoning, etc.?

Seems too good to be true, but I can't find anything in the rules to dissuade me from this reasoning.

Thanks,
Argentis

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-16-13/1745:13> »
Correct.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-16-13/1753:12> »
But do not that the karmacost of powerpoints is going to go up significantly in the first errata, 2 per point is a missprint.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-16-13/1815:49> »
But do not that the karmacost of powerpoints is going to go up significantly in the first errata, 2 per point is a missprint.

He didn't mention anything about the cost in his question, so I didn't go into that. (And, personally, that will be a portion of the "errata" that I will be ignoring should I break down and run again. I do not agree with the wild eyed claims that the cost is supposedly "broken".)

Argentis

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-17-13/1130:09> »
Thanks guys.

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-17-13/1133:59> »
I agree with all4big gun. After chargen you would still need to purchase PP with karma correct?
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-17-13/1148:17> »
I agree with all4big gun. After chargen you would still need to purchase PP with karma correct?
No, PP comes free  with magic points like a normal adept past chargen.  Though I do think they should be bought with karma after chargen, but there is already a whole thread on that, so I won't go into it here. 

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-17-13/1348:34> »

No, you do get them the same way as other Adepts, but considering that more of the meta-magics have bearing on the Mystic Adept than on the Adept, it would be less likely that the Mystic Adept would be taking that option for another Power Point (leaving it at when Magic is increased, which is pretty expensive).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <07-17-13/1800:09> »
Initiating for a PP is listed as Adept only, doesn't specifically allow for a Mystic Adept to take it. Definitely worth asking.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!