NEWS

SR5 - Semi Auto now a Complex Action

• 35 Replies

phydaux42

• Chummer
« on: <06-18-13/1421:04> »
So now that word is out and SR5 will change shooting a Semi Auto from a Simple Action to a  Complex Action, how do we see that affecting game play?

I see two things - One is some players will forgo Heavy Pistols for SMGs.  The other is a surge of PCs carrying revolvers.

Seems like a change in game flavor.  To me Shadowrun has always been my PC, and the only thing he ever needs is his beloved Heavy Pistol.

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <06-18-13/1432:53> »
Wasting your time, shooting certain weapons may be a simple action but the rules now ALSO state that even if you have two simple actions and shooting someone in a given way is a simple action, you can not shoot two different people or the same person twice during one run through the initiative order. 

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <06-18-13/1441:25> »
Both incorrect, Let me explain:

Firing a semiautomatic weapon is a simple action. You may fire at one person. You may attack once per IP no matter the weapon mode (SA, SS, BF, FA)

Firing a semiautomatic burst is a complex action, that mimics firing a semiautomatic weapon rapidly.

When using a fire weapon action (it doesn't specify it must be a burst) you may use a free action to use 'multiple attacks' therefore splitting your dicepool (after positive/negative/edge modifiers) and attack multiple targets. You can split the pool as many times as 1/2 your combat skill.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #3 on: <06-18-13/1443:58> »
So two SA shots are now burst?

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <06-18-13/1453:43> »

Technically three.

A semiautomatic burst functions as any other burst, which is to say gives the target a penalty to defense. (you can no longer choose to increase DV instead)

• Semi-auto burst is a -2 and uses 3 bullets
  • burst fire is -2 and uses 3 bullets
  • Long burst or Full auto (as a simple action) is -5 and uses 6 bullets
  • Full auto (as a complex action) is -9 and uses 10 bullets
  • suppressive fire uses 20 bullets and bautomatically hits targets in the affected area unless they fall prone or have cover.

also worth noting, you can throw multiple small throwing items (knives, shuriken) as a semiautomatic burst using the same rules.
« Last Edit: <06-18-13/1455:52> by White_Ghost »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #5 on: <06-18-13/1512:00> »

Technically three.

A semiautomatic burst functions as any other burst, which is to say gives the target a penalty to defense. (you can no longer choose to increase DV instead)

• Semi-auto burst is a -2 and uses 3 bullets
  • burst fire is -2 and uses 3 bullets
  • Long burst or Full auto (as a simple action) is -5 and uses 6 bullets
  • Full auto (as a complex action) is -9 and uses 10 bullets
  • suppressive fire uses 20 bullets and bautomatically hits targets in the affected area unless they fall prone or have cover.

also worth noting, you can throw multiple small throwing items (knives, shuriken) as a semiautomatic burst using the same rules.

What is the difference between firts two? SA/Burst seem to be the same in your explanation...

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-18-13/1512:27> »
Finally a chance to throw multiple shuriken for absolutely no fracking reason.

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-18-13/1545:47> »
So you can autoinflicht 11k damage on everyone (sup fire)?

MfG

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <06-18-13/1546:44> »

MfG
Unless they fall prone or have cover.

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <06-18-13/1547:40> »

Considering that alchemical preparations can be applied to any given material, I could see a great utility to creating a bunch of alchemical shuriken and flinging them as a burst at someone, then activating them on your next pass. I guess I've just found a way to break some rules.

Only if they enter your area of effect, they roll a reaction+edge to avoid it, or they can choose to drop prone as a free action (if they have one) and forgo the check.
« Last Edit: <06-18-13/1554:50> by White_Ghost »

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <06-18-13/1601:54> »
Both incorrect, Let me explain:

Firing a semiautomatic weapon is a simple action. You may fire at one person. You may attack once per IP no matter the weapon mode (SA, SS, BF, FA)

Firing a semiautomatic burst is a complex action, that mimics firing a semiautomatic weapon rapidly.

When using a fire weapon action (it doesn't specify it must be a burst) you may use a free action to use 'multiple attacks' therefore splitting your dicepool (after positive/negative/edge modifiers) and attack multiple targets. You can split the pool as many times as 1/2 your combat skill.

Yes but splitting dice pool tends to be a great way to miss two people rather than hit one.

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <06-18-13/1603:48> »
So you makes you're choice. Good chance of hitting one, or poor chance of hitting two.

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <06-18-13/1611:00> »

Considering that alchemical preparations can be applied to any given material, I could see a great utility to creating a bunch of alchemical shuriken and flinging them as a burst at someone, then activating them on your next pass. I guess I've just found a way to break some rules.

Only if they enter your area of effect, they roll a reaction+edge to avoid it, or they can choose to drop prone as a free action (if they have one) and forgo the check.

What I am not sure about is that it says anyone acting in your suppressive fire zone is at a penalty equal to the number of hits you got when shooting it,  Nor sure if that is penalty affects their attempts to dodge or not or if it goes away if they manage to sucessfully dodge it or if they get hit by it....

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-18-13/1611:36> »
Can you still elect to drop prone as a Free action during someone else's action?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-18-13/1622:52> »
What is the difference between firts two? SA/Burst seem to be the same in your explanation...

A Semi-Auto Burst is a Complex Action, think of three rapid shots with a double-action revolver.
A Burst Fire is a Simple Action, the firearm has a three-shot selector.

Both fire three shots, one takes advantage of the design of the firearm.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015