NEWS

SR5 magic

• 82 Replies

ChromeZephyr

• Newb
  • Listen much, talk little
« Reply #30 on: <06-18-13/1404:40> »
Wonder what the market for shadow talismongers to make those for Talent-poor groups is like.  "Why, yes, I can make you a Fireball marble.  3 easy payments of Ąx,xxx"

Icy

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <06-18-13/1414:12> »
There's a new(?) skill called Alchemy where you can imbue an object with a spell. Kind of like Quickened spells, but more short-term and everyday.

It's more like Anchoring than Quickening as I understand it. Which is interesting, since Anchoring was a bit to expensive to use. I always thought that's a shame, since it allowed the mage to give a single use spell to his mundane friends.

Btw. I'm really eager to hear about mentor spirits. They are cool, but until now, they had been badly designed when it came to adepts, as their boni were mostly magician related. That's why we houseruled them in SR4.

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #32 on: <06-18-13/1441:23> »
A mage can't pass an alchemical preparation to another person to use unless you count having the Troll throw it.
A Commanded Preparation is commanded only by the mage.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #33 on: <06-18-13/1451:23> »
What about counterspeling..does it survived, or is it dropped from rules? And in case A) how does it work now?

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <06-18-13/1507:19> »
Giabralter is correct. I misread that.... but I am betting a Metamagic or future book will allow mages to give them to mundanes. I shall count down the time to the magic supplement book's release. Mwhuhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaah.

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <06-18-13/1518:42> »
What about counterspeling..does it survived, or is it dropped from rules? And in case A) how does it work now?

Counterspelling is still a skill, and works similarly:

You have as many counterspelling dice as your skill in counterspelling. Unfortunately however, you must choose how many dice you use for each resistance check. So for instance, if you decide to use a few dice from your pool to resist a spell cast at you, you will have that many fewer dice to resist the next spell.

The pool refreshes every combat turn, and can be used to defend the people you declare as a free action (or inturrupt at any time to declare for -5 initiative)

If multiple people get hit by an area spell, you can apply the dice you declare to all of them. So if 3 people get hit with a fireball and you use 4 dice to counterspell, each of them will get 4 dice to resist with.

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <06-18-13/1546:14> »
And so they brought back pools ...

MfG

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <06-18-13/1548:21> »
And so they brought back pools ...

MfG

It's the only one I've seen so far.

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #38 on: <06-18-13/1601:17> »
You now have Ritual Spellcasting, and reasons to learn it, and Artificing, and reasons to learn it.

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <06-18-13/1602:37> »
I hate the idea of Corpsec getting these things handed to them to throw at runners.

Team Mage "No mages among them.... But I see an astral signature. Weird"
Me "Why did they just throw a stick at us...... OMG FIRE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!
Team Mage "Oh shit, that ain't cool....."

I guess I like the idea, because that made me laugh. :)
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <06-18-13/1615:47> »

It's more like Anchoring than Quickening as I understand it. Which is interesting, since Anchoring was a bit to expensive to use. I always thought that's a shame, since it allowed the mage to give a single use spell to his mundane friends.

Yeah, Anchoring. That's what I meant to say.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #41 on: <06-18-13/2101:58> »
I'm particularly amused with the example in the book about etching a credstick as a lynchpin and setting it up with a Death spell with the trigger being "Next person who touches it". Makes for a nasty trick for your standard rent-a-cop.
Great, now you can't trust the Johnson completely when he hands you a credstick like we've done in the past.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <06-18-13/2105:19> »
Perception. Perception perception perception.

Luckily they boosted the ability to notice magic. It's a perception test with very specific standards. Especially if you have a background knowledge skill involving it (automatic +2. Dice to your role)

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <06-18-13/2109:37> »
Perception. Perception perception perception.

Luckily they boosted the ability to notice magic. It's a perception test with very specific standards. Especially if you have a background knowledge skill involving it (automatic +2. Dice to your role)

Now that is cool. Would have loved that in one of my old runs where someone boobytrapped my gun and it blew up in my face.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <06-18-13/2111:55> »
You now have Ritual Spellcasting, and reasons to learn it, and Artificing, and reasons to learn it.

That's good.  Mages weren't enough of a karma sink before.