NEWS

300 BP and you

• 23 Replies

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #15 on: <05-18-13/0055:11> »
He's a Rat Witch. Even though Hedge Magic or Witchcraft is restricted to female characters. The more neo-pagan tradition is covered under Wiccan.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-18-13/0205:22> »
He's got Witchcraft for tradition. So not sure about drain on that. But, yeah, maximum bound spirits... Hrm... Might wanna make strength yer dump stat...

He's a dwarf - Strength: 3 is one of his dump stats.  But the limitation on bound spirits doesn't really matter, when he doesn't even have the binding skill yet.

Hedge witches are normally women, but it does say that exceptions are made if a witch lacks a female heir and the line is is danger of being lost.  They are wary of mentor spirits, so the character would have an ambivalent relationship with the rat mentor spirit (it would be considered helpful but still not completely trustworthy).

I think he is limiting himself a lot by picking a self-possession tradition and expending a lot of resources on animal control which are redundant with the two spells he already has for that.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #17 on: <05-18-13/0225:33> »
He's a Rat Witch. Even though Hedge Magic or Witchcraft is restricted to female characters. The more neo-pagan tradition is covered under Wiccan.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up. There are male witches, I know, because I used to be one, along with others in the coven. They're still called witches, the title is sexless, even if some folk with no authority on the matter say they're "Warlocks" which is a completely fabricated term. If that's how it works in shadowrun, so be it, but "The more you know!"
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-18-13/0229:07> »

Whoa whoa whoa, back up. There are male witches, I know, because I used to be one, along with others in the coven. They're still called witches, the title is sexless, even if some folk with no authority on the matter say they're "Warlocks" which is a completely fabricated term. If that's how it works in shadowrun, so be it, but "The more you know!"

Even if the term is fabricated, it's a good one to differentiate :)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #19 on: <05-18-13/0258:12> »

Even if the term is fabricated, it's a good one to differentiate :)

I was talking about the Street Magic definition. And even then, they also call Wiccans and other neo-pagans "witches" in Street Magic. I don't really care what people call themselves in reality, but as far as the magical tradition of Witchcraft in Street Magic, it's usually reserved for females.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-19-13/0132:03> »

Actually, a minor correction on that (I am still a witch); warlock isn't a fabricated term, it is just grossly misused. Warlock comes from the Old English wǣrloga, and basically means oath breaker. A few centuries of propaganda, and gross ignorance on Hollywood's part (and to a lesser extent most entertainment), have pretty much permanently sunk the term into the public's consciousness.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-19-13/0141:49> »

I was talking about the Street Magic definition. And even then, they also call Wiccans and other neo-pagans "witches" in Street Magic. I don't really care what people call themselves in reality, but as far as the magical tradition of Witchcraft in Street Magic, it's usually reserved for females.

My understanding was that Traditional/Hedge Witchcraft were basically reserved to women, but Street Witches were a subset of Wicca (basically Urban Wiccans), and thus were open to both genders. At least that's what Hero Lab's says under the description, and it's descriptions are generally word-for-word from the text in the books. A rat witch, to me at least, would fit under the Street Witch (i.e. Wiccan) category. It's not mandatory, of course; what with the ability to make your own magical tradition, and all that.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #22 on: <05-19-13/0218:39> »
Understandable, I won't debate that, though I will break the rule for my own devices. Interesting thing about hollywood, Werewolves were never allergic to silver till they got their hands on the idea.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <05-19-13/0339:50> »
Understandable, I won't debate that, though I will break the rule for my own devices. Interesting thing about hollywood, Werewolves were never allergic to silver till they got their hands on the idea.

Research? Pffft! Who needs research?!