NEWS

Arsenal issues.

• 42 Replies

DamienHollow

« Reply #15 on: <05-10-13/1448:04> »
The spidersilk could be enhanced with a factory designated coating of hydrophobic layering. Just enough to prevent the issue you spoke of, but not enough to otherwise prevent contact-vector chem attacks like the Chemical Resistance mod does.

What I'm wondering is what happens if you give it a spray coat of Kevlar. Worm Silk has been shown to stop shrapnel surprisingly well with the same technique. Something old, something new... And again, it's not the spider-silks strength that's of interest, plenty of materials are that strong. What most materials are not is tough and that makes a whole world of difference.

i.e.
Carbon Fiber: Strong not Tough
Vulcanized rubber: Tough not Strong
« Last Edit: <05-10-13/1451:32> by DamienHollow »

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #16 on: <05-10-13/1514:20> »
The spidersilk could be enhanced with a factory designated coating of hydrophobic layering. Just enough to prevent the issue you spoke of, but not enough to otherwise prevent contact-vector chem attacks like the Chemical Resistance mod does.

MIT is working with spider silk variants - some spider silk is hydrophobic (A) some is hydrophilic (B). So they string it together in different ways (AAAB, AAABA, AABB, etc) to see what happens.

The stretchy properties actually make it better, not worse, for body armor, because one of the weaknesses of Kevlar is that it breaks down as it disperses the energy, whereas the stretchiness of spider silk makes it better at soaking multiple rounds.

Did...did he just say "Dikote" and run?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <05-10-13/1515:01> »
*Giggles Wickedly*

Dikote.

I HEARD THAT.

DamienHollow

« Reply #18 on: <05-10-13/1524:23> »
MIT is working with spider silk variants - some spider silk is hydrophobic (A) some is hydrophilic (B). So they string it together in different ways (AAAB, AAABA, AABB, etc) to see what happens.

The stretchy properties actually make it better, not worse, for body armor, because one of the weaknesses of Kevlar is that it breaks down as it disperses the energy, whereas the stretchiness of spider silk makes it better at soaking multiple rounds.

Yes but if it's too stretchy then It won't stop the bullet, just catch it and let the deformation give you terminal internal damage. So you've got to get the mix right. Most armors of all kinds are trending towards composites not singular materials. So again, kevlar, ballistic nylon, and half a dozen other materials will not up and vanish simply because someone turns out a new material. It all get's incorporated. In addition, does anyone have any idea as to the biodegradability issues? Have they started adding preservatives or some such?

Ninja137

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <05-11-13/0444:54> »
Which is why a Trollbow is a valid build in Shadowrun.  ;D
Wouldn't a Sasquatchbow be even better?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <05-11-13/0505:59> »
Bows have been stealth-errata'd to maximum 8 Strength rather than 12. This also means the best you can do is 2 nethits for 12 damage, meaning that the only way to really pack a punch is taking a Quick Draw Martial Arts / Adept Power, Mercy Software from War! and hit with 2 arrows in 1 IP (which can only be done once per 2 IPs) for 24 damage.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <05-11-13/1432:33> »
Can't do sign-language and shoot a bow at the same time.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #22 on: <05-11-13/1433:20> »

It IS however, a form of communication.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #23 on: <05-11-13/1434:36> »
It IS however, a form of communication.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
Shorthand for "I don't want you to be alive any longer.  Ever.  Go away."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <05-11-13/1446:44> »
Then Sasquatchbow has Rating 2 SuRGE for Shiva Arms. Sign away as you make pincushions of us all.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #25 on: <05-11-13/1448:06> »
Then Sasquatchbow has Rating 2 SuRGE for Shiva Arms. Sign away as you make pincushions of us all.
With two bows.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <05-11-13/1451:35> »
With two bows.

One bow, and a crossbow with a Smartlink for hip-firing. Much better that way.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <05-11-13/1455:17> »
Yes but if it's too stretchy then It won't stop the bullet, just catch it and let the deformation give you terminal internal damage.
There are verified historical records in both Europe and China of people wearing silk, which would not stop arrows but would catch the arrowheads and allow the arrows to be removed without complex surgery as likely as not to cause more damage than it stopped given surgical and germ-knowledge of the time.

And since the thread seems to have been answered and is drifting anyway...
Quad crossbows. Smartlink and red laser sights don't apply their bonuses to dual-wielding by RAW, silly though I think that is. If you're going to do it, go big or go home.

DamienHollow

« Reply #28 on: <05-11-13/1529:55> »
a modern cross bow can deliver somewhere in the range of 200 foot lbs of force... a modern .30-06 deals around 6x that much.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #29 on: <05-11-13/1537:51> »
a modern cross bow can deliver somewhere in the range of 200 foot lbs of force... a modern .30-06 deals around 6x that much.

Just a factoid, or are you making a point?

I'm low on coffee, it's impairing my ability to extrapolate.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist