NEWS

Couriers

• 43 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #15 on: <05-03-13/0355:05> »
If you decide to walk around in say, poland, then yeah it wouldn't do you much good. But if you are suddenly exposed to radiation, it'll instantly blacken. If you expect to be going into a zone, or to come up against radiation, you'd take a geiger counter.

The film strip badge is just nice to have on the off chance you come across an unhealthy bit of ionizing radiation, and here's the kicker, high amounts of radiation in short exposure is far less lethal than moderate ambient levels of radiation. The chances of you being exposed to either is rather slim, unless say you feel like transporting some uranium, or walk into a recent melt down zone, or decide to pick a fight with a neutron bomb.

Actual low levels of ambient radiation is usually from radioactive fallout, which can easily be mitigated by wearing protective clothing, like a rain slicker. This would be the case where you have a geiger counter to avoid hot zones.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #16 on: <05-03-13/0404:00> »

I'm gonna go all in for ¥75 and buy both.

I found some loose credsticks under my couch.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #17 on: <05-03-13/0500:48> »
If you're hunting rads it's probably the smart way to go. I just can't ever seem to justify the level of paranoia needed to carry a geiger counter, except for one of my characters...

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #18 on: <05-03-13/0655:14> »
If you're hunting rads it's probably the smart way to go. I just can't ever seem to justify the level of paranoia needed to carry a geiger counter, except for one of my characters...

Oh, you were talking about the game.

Yeah, that's probably overkill.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <05-03-13/0851:22> »
The two combined would be very usefull when hunting down a Radiation Spirit and its Toxic Mage. Something my players thought about when they were hunting one.
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #20 on: <05-03-13/1835:29> »
I've yet to have an adventure involving any amount of radiation, so the film strip badge is really all I've ever carried, and that was by characters near poland.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #21 on: <05-04-13/0945:43> »
I've yet to have an adventure involving any amount of radiation, so the film strip badge is really all I've ever carried, and that was by characters near poland.

Are you sure?

Maybe you should have that film developed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #22 on: <05-04-13/1728:14> »
The badge(s) I've worn haven't darkened beyond any amount they normally would under usual sun contact, or at least the GM's have yet to point out that they have, so I assume I've been as rads free as you get.

The only time civerts or rads were ever involved in any shadowrun adventure I've had was one I'm running, and that's because they flew in close to Novaya Zemlya.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #23 on: <05-04-13/2027:10> »
You guys made me so paranoid that I had my character buy a handheld sensor with geiger counter functionality during yesterday's session.  Thanks. :o
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #24 on: <05-04-13/2243:39> »
If you're suddenly exposed to a lethal dose of radiation, or are in a highly irradiated zone it won't help knowing about it. If you're going to one, there are good chances you'll know ahead of time, it usually comes up in the legwork or biohazard signs stuck in the lawn out front. If you're expecting to go into it, take a geiger counter and a film strip. If you're worried you might come up against it, you have a film strip that tells you to get the fuck out of there.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #25 on: <05-04-13/2259:04> »
If your legwork said the area was clean, and you see glow-in-the-dark devil rats, you may need to rethink your legwork.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #26 on: <05-04-13/2321:55> »
Bad intel is part of life, and luceferin isn't dangerous, what caused them to mutate in that fashion maybe hazardous to your health though.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #27 on: <05-05-13/0433:59> »
If you're expecting to go into it, take a geiger counter and a film strip. If you're worried you might come up against it, you have a film strip that tells you to get the fuck out of there.

*facepalm*

That is exactly backwards.

You keep insisting that the FSB tells you when to leave.

A film badge has to be developed to tell you anything. It's film. Literally. Like from Ye Olden Film Camera.

Even if SR FSBs are new and improved and don't have to be developed, it's a dosimeter. It is measuring exposure. As in, what you have been exposed to. Past tense. All it can tell you is when you should have left. Again, past tense.

FSBs are helpful if you're measuring exposure to a known source over time. If you are worried about unknown sources of radiation, and want to actually survive, spend the extra ¥25 and get the bloody Geiger counter! Wear the FSB, too, for peace of mind - but using it to detect radiation is like checking to see if the stove is hot by putting your face on it.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate
« Last Edit: <05-05-13/0453:56> by JoeNapalm »

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #28 on: <05-05-13/0512:15> »
A FSB uses ionizing radiation to change its colour, like film uses light radiation. It darkens as it's exposed. It even says this under the item description
Radiation Film Badge: Th is square piece of chemical fi lm is
usually clipped to a visible part of the body, and changes color in
the presence of radiation.
You're thinking of a film badge dosimeter which is different, and used for recording an areas radiation levels for safety or medical purposes.

This badge is a canary alarm.
My history is a bit fuzzy but I believe it works on similar principals to the film used to "See" or more witness the effect of, Radium Salts I think it was, and this was the guy before Curie, but this is crap I haven't read about in like 5-10 years. So maybe this badge is actually a scintillating material of some sort.

There wouldn't be much of a point in including a dosimeter that you had to develop for shadowrunners.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #29 on: <05-05-13/1302:25> »

Ah, that is indeed better than a FSB.

Very vague description. Does color indicate how MUCH radiation?

As Geigers are so cheap, I still like my characters to have one, as it can tell you a lot more - how many rads you're seeing, and where.

Seattle has some pretty glowing spots. For the price, I'll carry both.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist