NEWS

Heavily armored PC needs a little humbling.

• 130 Replies

Maskerade

• Newb
  • Reality may not match advertised product
« Reply #60 on: <03-20-13/1725:50> »
To deal with a character like this, whilst not resorting to outright PIDOOMA methods.

1. Have a quiet run go awry, and get a Lone Star SWAT team called in. Now this doesn't sound too bad for a tank, but such a team would no doubt include some sniper support, and seeing as a tank would be quite high priority, how much of that 33/30 is on his head?

2. If he dump-statted STR/BOD, then all those cyberlimbs will weigh heavily on his poor little legs, and he'll be very prone to injuring himself whilst doing everyday tasks.

3. Rating 1 tranq patches. Costs 20 nuyen x (stun boxes + physical boxes) and has is availability 2. Slap him with a load of these. If he dump-statted willpower, then he'll be unconcious in no time, and then the damage overflows into physical damage (which if he dump-statted body, will quickly kill him). Perfect if he's been kidnapped, and having realised what a potential threat he is, his captors decide to take no chances, but get a little to... enthusiastic with the patches. Hey, if he's going to break the system, so can you.

4. A dart rifle and my "headbanger cocktail" which consists of a mixture of gamma-scoplamine, narcoject, kamikaze, bliss, jazz ,novacoke and nitro. The cocktail basically massively ramps up his stats but leaves him unable to move, and then after about an hour, he gets hit with a huge amount of stun damage which cannot be resisted.

5. Have the team hired to provide security for a Horizon middle manager, only to have the group set upon by a large mob of anti-augmentation protesters (yes, I have been playing Deus Ex recently) who will gun for him as the most obvious target.

6. Well, there's always the chance he could run foul of a dragon...
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #61 on: <03-20-13/1742:33> »
Dart rifle + Laes = Fun.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <03-20-13/1948:44> »
and a military guy will know how to take a component out of a gun to make it useless.
Having had first-hand experience with "military guys", I can personally tell you that's not always true.

So maybe if your conjuring or compiling is like a 1 or a 2 I can understand you not having Decomp or Banishing, but anything above that and I consider you experienced enough to know how to undo what you did.
I get what you're saying, but I'd set the threshold at "above 3, I'm going to phone book you if you try to say you don't know how to banish". Sure, you could summon some things for a while without knowing what you're doing, but after a while you're going to realize the kinds of monsters that can bite you in the ass and you're going to move to cover.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <03-20-13/2018:10> »
I may have already said this, but a bus hitting him at high speed by accident is improbable. A bus hitting him at high speed because the bus is worth 90k and his head on a stick is worth half a mil? Very likely.;)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #64 on: <03-20-13/2025:35> »
My combat mage has Banishing. Its called Astral Combat + Weapon Focus. And it works a helluvalot better than the Banishing skill.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <03-20-13/2031:53> »
Always a drop a point into it, if for nothing else than flavor. It's hard for me to imagine a Mage or TM that knows nothing about how to undo what they created. You can't put that much study into how to do something without learning at least a few tricks to cause that something to fail on the fly.

I can think of a lot of concepts where it would be Wrong, for the simple reason that the character would never even consider doing it, at least not until game events change that outlook.

I do think one point is a good investment for the simple fact that there's the odd occasion where there's literally no other option to do what you need to do.

Not to call you a liar, but I fail to believe you can justify a way in which you can learn any craft and not know SOMETHING about how to disassemble it. A chef knows that too much salt can quickly sabotage a dish, an IT guy knows how to turn the Wi-Fi off of something, a mechanic knows you can loosen a spark plug and keep a car from starting and a military guy will know how to take a component out of a gun to make it useless.

Which are all very, very, very different acts from summoning or compiling.  It's pretty much just hermetics and cyberadepts who take such a view of spirits or sprites.  Pretty much any other magician or technomancer considers their spirits or sprites to be something far, far, far more than that.  And if the character's conception of spirits or sprites is as something fundamentally alive, they would likely see banishing/decompiling as morally wrong and not learn it unless something demonstrated to them that they needed to.  Hell, I've got a technomancer I'm playing in a play-by-post who has Compiling 6, but Decompiling 0 - and I even considered Incompetent (Decompiling); he's never been confronted with a circumstance where he'd need Decompiling, and thus the concept of it has literally never occurred to him - at least one of his sprites from his backstory has gone free, sure, but that one's a Loyalty 4 contact (which reflects how he treats his sprites and the view he takes of them).
« Last Edit: <03-20-13/2035:58> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <03-20-13/2036:55> »
Which are all very, very, very different acts from summoning or compiling.  It's pretty much just hermetics and cyberadepts who take such a view of spirits or sprites.  Pretty much any other magician or technomancer considers their spirits or sprites to be something far, far, far more than that.  And if the character's conception of spirits or sprites is as something fundamentally alive, they would likely see banishing/decompiling as morally wrong and not learn it unless something demonstrated to them that they needed to.
That's true, Infosavants and even more Technoshamans would be strongly disinclined to practice those skills. It would benefit them to know how, but they'd still not want to use those measures.

Either way, I'm still far more strongly inclined to build characters to a concept than dice pool maximization, but that's drifting from the topic.

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <03-20-13/2043:30> »
Also, I can't build pens that well, but I can sure as hell break them. Make the character trying to destroy a gun roll 2 dice if it's not a pistol. If it's a pistol, just unload it and break the hammer off. You have rendered it effectively useless. Repairable? Maybe. Usable in current state? Nope.
And if they glitch that roll.......

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #68 on: <03-20-13/2058:04> »
Which are all very, very, very different acts from summoning or compiling.  It's pretty much just hermetics and cyberadepts who take such a view of spirits or sprites.  Pretty much any other magician or technomancer considers their spirits or sprites to be something far, far, far more than that.  And if the character's conception of spirits or sprites is as something fundamentally alive, they would likely see banishing/decompiling as morally wrong and not learn it unless something demonstrated to them that they needed to.
That's true, Infosavants and even more Technoshamans would be strongly disinclined to practice those skills. It would benefit them to know how, but they'd still not want to use those measures.

Either way, I'm still far more strongly inclined to build characters to a concept than dice pool maximization, but that's drifting from the topic.

Oh, quite certainly.  Optimization, to my mind, is useful only as a way to build the best and most accurate version of your concept.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <03-20-13/2148:59> »
To the original topic: What to do with the player?

TALK TO HIM!!!!

Never ever ever ever ever EVER use the game to teach someone a lesson. In all seriousness, it always ends up with you looking like a dick. Any time you screw someone over in the game that is you stating quite clearly and publicly that you think what they did was sooooo unacceptable you're going to punish them for it. There isn't anything done here that needs punishing, just a conversation that needs to happen so he understands what's going on. If I was a player at the table and I got totally shafted and singled out by the GM like that.... I wouldn't be back. You're adults, so don't settle this like 4 year olds.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <03-20-13/2156:19> »
To be fair, I think it's more that he wants a way to still be able to challenge the guy.  And there are options.  If I'm wrong at it is actually causing serious problems, then talking to him is best.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #71 on: <03-20-13/2349:58> »
Talk to him,

Its a better option than putting something together that is going to primarily target him, because once he goes down the rest of the team may be SOL.

Now if he's stubborn (some players are, I've had my share of them) and its disruptive to everyone else then take him out in a way that's not going to harm everyone else. As someone said, best way is have him routinely stopped by security, if he doesn't pass the check throw him in jail, have them disarm his 'ware or even begin removing his illegal stuff (and if he's obviously running any F gear, then he's SOL).

But there's lots of options, just remember, don't screw over the rest of the team.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <03-20-13/2351:37> »
Once again, my read is that he's simply looking for ways to challenge the guy.  Which does mean the bus method won't work, but still.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #73 on: <03-21-13/1354:30> »
This is not a "consistent world". It is not "realistic". All it is is passive aggressive douchebaggery spawning from not having the balls to say "No. That character isn't acceptable. Please make something else." right from the start.

Seems you skipped the 'passive' here, Guns. Chill a bit? He has his own points there, even if you don't like them. I don't either, but that's no reason to bite anyone's head off.

I'm not going to sugar coat on this. It's his own fault that a character that isn't acceptable for his game got through, so he can either do the 'cordial chat' to deal with the situation or he can suck it up and deal with it.

Said as much myself, earlier, 'case you forgot. Just no reason to be rude.

Challenging Mr. Chromedome is pretty easily done. Pit brawls with Paracritters. The Parazoology book gives a few nasties, and the GM can always think up a few more. This fits in with Black Trenchcoat as easily as Pink Mohawk - looking for Enchanting ingredients, versus some sort of arena fight against a Bunyip or five. A kick to the face from a Ghazu Horse is nothing to sneeze at, Snow Moose have BOD 11. Ambush from an Amikuk!

If he can punch out a Sea Wolf without breaking a sweat, send in a team of Warrior's Way Bear Shapeshifters. Or have Eagle Shifters bombard him while overhead, with Manabolts.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <03-21-13/1604:58> »
This is not a "consistent world". It is not "realistic". All it is is passive aggressive douchebaggery spawning from not having the balls to say "No. That character isn't acceptable. Please make something else." right from the start.

Seems you skipped the 'passive' here, Guns. Chill a bit? He has his own points there, even if you don't like them. I don't either, but that's no reason to bite anyone's head off.

I'm not going to sugar coat on this. It's his own fault that a character that isn't acceptable for his game got through, so he can either do the 'cordial chat' to deal with the situation or he can suck it up and deal with it.

Said as much myself, earlier, 'case you forgot. Just no reason to be rude.

Challenging Mr. Chromedome is pretty easily done. Pit brawls with Paracritters. The Parazoology book gives a few nasties, and the GM can always think up a few more. This fits in with Black Trenchcoat as easily as Pink Mohawk - looking for Enchanting ingredients, versus some sort of arena fight against a Bunyip or five. A kick to the face from a Ghazu Horse is nothing to sneeze at, Snow Moose have BOD 11. Ambush from an Amikuk!

If he can punch out a Sea Wolf without breaking a sweat, send in a team of Warrior's Way Bear Shapeshifters. Or have Eagle Shifters bombard him while overhead, with Manabolts.

Hell, put him in an arena fight with reasonable doppelgangers for the rest of the team in his "corner".  This serves as a distraction to allow the rest of the team to get the job done for so long as he can keep on going.  Let's you challenge him without the fight spilling over to the rest of the team.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites