NEWS

Request for ideas for news bits to share with players

• 9 Replies

Downtime

• Newb
« on: <03-22-13/1038:50> »
Hello all,

We're slowly working our way through the Season 4 missions, with a side helping of some Elven Blood.

I'd like to increase the players' connection with 2072 Seattle by providing transcripts of trid news blurbs at the start of each session. Each blurb being a headline and one to three sentence summary, such as you'd hear at the opening of a news program.

This will mostly provide the feel of the scenario, but will also be a good way to sneak in introducing mission related ideas such as the Mayan Cutter and Proposition 23.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any ideas for headlines / blurbs? Items can be international news, Seattle specific, pop culture, etc.

Mach_Ten

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <03-22-13/1053:37> »
I've done it with other games (World of Darkness)  but not in SR

but the idea I used was previous  sessions after math suddenly makes local news... but is massively twisted and warped from both reality and fact.

So blowing up a warehouse on their way out,
  HEADLINE :  GANGLAND riots sparked by destruction of toilet paper factory .. Locals barricaded in their homes demanding better/softer screamsheet materials be used !

that way there is not just some random stuff going on in Seattle,  it actually involves something that the PC's DID ... something that says "Wait a second .. there could be consequences for my actions !"    those consequences are funny now,  but what if we come up against Lonestar and get in the news ?   Frag that would be bad!

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-13/1546:59> »
I did these scream sheets for one of our Denver and L.A. campaigns. Feel free to steal ideas from these.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B25wztGsDMEzQ01pLW96TU1nX2c/edit?usp=sharing

Downtime

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-22-13/1607:00> »
Thanks to you both.

Mach_Ten, I like the idea of reporting on including previous hijinks through a heavy filter - I think the players will really enjoy that, and it will help cast suspicion on the rest of the blurbs.

Mantis, thanks for sharing that, definitely an awesome resource.

Anyone have ideas on puff pieces, or entertainment bits? Are there any canon celebrities in 2072 I should be namedropping?

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #4 on: <03-22-13/1759:40> »
Here's some news from a 2060's campaign I ran. The first bits are from the Bell Street Buzz, a matrix news site open only to members of the Seattle shadow community given  access to it, with comments added after from site visitors. The last 2 are Seattle Times news stories. You may need to alter some of it to use for the 2070's, in partcular the Joint Task Force Seattle story from the Seattle Times. Feel free to use or alter whatever.

Some of of the Bell Street stuff was based on things the PC team did and may be a springboard for creating runs. Some of the comments were my players too. It was fun responding to them with npcs, but I also found it hard to keep up as it was alot of work. The comments of Dozerman about the warehouse asault in particular really got to our Ork team member's conscience and caused him to go running to the Sons of Sauron to try to get absolved of his crimes against orks. He's the username Betrayed99 on the comments.

Bell Street News, your source for the paydata you need to keep your hoop safe in Seattle's Shadows

Newsdate: January 31, 2060

Ragers Gang Leader Shin Brickbat Assassinated Near the Crying Wall

by

Muckraker Mike

Ragers Gang Leader Shin Brickbat was fatally burned by an unknown magical assailant late Saturday night, along with 3 other orks all affiliated with Tacoma's Ragers gang.

The attack happened on E Portland Avenue in Tacoma, Just blocks from the Crying Wall, a monument to the metahumans who died in the Night of Rage, and the Port of Tacoma. Witnesses reported seeing flames shoot out from a Samuvani Criscraft Otter pleasure boat out in the nearby Commencement Bay to the north, which struck the orks, causing a massive explosion. A crate one of the orks was carrying apparently held illegal fragmentation grenades, which set off several lesser explosions.

No others were injured and the Otter immediately departed north out into Commencement Bay and further out into the Puget Sound. No one was spotted crewing the Otter, leading some experts to theorize that invisibility or other illusion magics might have been used in the attack.

Lonestar detectives and DIP magicians investigating the attack are keeping the case very tight, but appear to have no solid leads at this time. The Ragers have had various gang conflicts and Humanis thugs in the past, but no major battles in recent days. It is rumored they greatly disliked the Yakuza, but they had no real ties to other organized crime syndicates.

Comments

Those in the know have known quite a while that Don Bigio wants to use the Ragers gang against the Yakuza. His overtures to the Ragers were met with cold rebuffs, but that could change under new leadership. How convenient.-Tempyst

Frag that you ignorant slot, for this to be a Mafia attack, and with that amount of mojo used, it would have to be the work of the Merlyns wizzer gang, the Mafia's go to guys for spark throwers. The Merlyn's are under the thumb of the Finnigan family, and there is no way Rowena Finnigan would have approved this. It's obviously a Yakuza hit.-Plex Peon

I hate to interrupt the makeout session, but I heard that the Ragers just scored some major hardware, something like LMGs. No word on the source. And no, I didn't hear nothing about no frag grenades.-The Reading Rat

Humanis skags maybe? That's it, time for this ork to take a vacation out of the plex.-Dozerman

When in doubt, I always blame the Brackhavens.-Noose9

Or insect spirits. Nasty fraggers.- Net Ned

It was the night hunters!- Vulkan

Sounds like Vulkan is a pow wittle elfy who got it's ears trimmed over in Renton. I heard the Renton plastic surgeons did steady business last Saturday night - Green Mohawk666

Racial prejudice is such an ugly thing and it's a wonder it still exists in this modern age - Everett Ghoul Gentleman

Wait, they allow ghouls into the Matrix now? - Dozerman

The world's changing. I heard there's even going to be a ghoul pride parade in Puyallup coming up. Could turn ugly with what's already going on down there-Net Ned

I do a brisk business in cybereyes for ghouls. The ones I deal with seem rational. The sooner we integrate them into society, the better- Doc Brown

So everyone's crying for the ghouls, but no one cares elves are getting their ears hacked off in Renton? - Shayna

Newsdate: January 31, 2060

Aztechnology Extraction

by

Samantha Squealer

Researcher Dale Hastings was extracted from the Aztechnology Pyramid early Thursday morning around 3 am by some Shadowrunners. My sources say that two individuals were involved, a Troll and a Human, and the target appeared to be willing. The runners should have been captured on cameras, but to the frustration of the Leopard Guard, the files were mysteriously eliminated. The duo and their target proceeded from the employee mall on floor 38 to the B2 parking garage, where they hopped into a Eurocar Westwind 2000 and drove out. There was only light pursuit by Aztechnology security forces and the Westwind outraced them and escaped. Aztechnology is not cooperating with Lonestar in this case.

Comments

My sources say it was inside job.-Azzie Observer

No big shocker there vidclown. The Azzies are always at each other's throats. Probaly why they haven't already ripped all our hearts out or some such drek.-Space Needle Squatter

So, who did it?-Gorge

Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.-Black Bishop

I heard a guy was forcibly kidnapped in renton and raped around the same time this happened, word is he was supposed to be in charge of some security or somesuch.- Limerick777

Kinky. What do you have to pay to get that done to you? - Randy in Redmond

Word is that it was some hot new runner team out of LA called The Firm. I heard they got a red hot decker, so that's how they fixed the cameras- Gallant88

Curious, I've never heard of this "red hot decker" - Reading Rat

You just don't know the right people - Gallant88

Don't make me laugh, poserboy. I know you're just trying to create biz for yourself, but ask around and in the future keep in mind who you are talking to. It would be a shame for a young thing like yourself to gain a record with the Star. - Reading Rat

If rape was involved, the corpers were definitely behind it. Hahah. - Net Ned

That is so true Ned that it isn't even funny. - Plex Peon

Word is that the Cartel isn't happy with certain other factions down south and this recently spilled over into the Seattle/Northwest division-Azzie Observer

Who the hell is the Cartel? I thought blood mages ran the place and like sacrified people for kicks - Lipman12

Bell Street Buzz, your source for the paydata you need to keep your hoop safe in Seattle's Shadows

Newsdate: February, 2060

Dangerous New BTL Chip Hits the Streets of Seattle

by

Muckraker Mike

According to both street and Lonestar sources, a dangerous new BTL chip is being sold on the streets of Seattle. Renton, Bellevue, Redmond and the east side have been particularly hard hit. The chip makes takes over user's personalities and makes them act like famous people from history and fiction. There appears to be some sort of defect in the chip's programming as well, since users commonly develop a form of amnesia. Lonestar is keeping very quiet about this and the source is unknown.

A very nasty chip. It is based upon personafix BTL and lays an artificial personality over the user's normal self. - Doc Brown

Where can I score some? - LubLub300

The wonders of techn0logy. We now can't tell if the guy in the Napolean uniform and hat is old fashioned crazy or riding a chip dream. Still thinking you were Niel the Ork Barbarian could be kinda fun... - Net Ned

Puyallup Ork Underground Warehouse Hit; Guards Slain

by

Libel Larry

A Harbor Island warehouse reputed to belong to the Puyallup Ork Underground was assaulted Monday night by a Shadowrunner team weilding heavy magics. Over a dozen orks and trolls guarding the warehouse were slain and several crates of weapons stolen. It's unknown who the Shadowrunners are, but several of them were quite distinctive. One was apparently some kind of Shifter and another was an ork with a steel skull.

My sources inside the Puyallup Ork Underground say that there is a high level of frustration that there was an ork involved and that they are blaming elves for the attack, but no word on why they believe this. It was mentioned that elves are master manipulators and can even get orks to kill other orks - Dozerman

Interesting. I wonder this is how someone was supplying guns to the Ragers gang in Tacoma. Steal guns from orks to give guns to other orks? A bit confusing. - Net Ned

Sigh. More shifters. Time to shoot me some werewolves again - Deep Redmond Hunter

The Puyallup Orks have been harboring ork terrorists for decades. They finally got what is coming to them is all that happened. - Talis

I am the ork in question. I was hired by a a fixer named Logos out of the elven ghetto. He clearly has partially betrayed my identity, so I will return the favor. I would never take a run against the Sons intentionally, and will be evening the scales as soon as possible in humanis blood. Viva la revolution. - Betrayed99

Logos has a solid rep in the shadows, so this is a little hard to buy Betrayed. - Plex Peon

I can verify that the Sons were the real target of the attack and no one mentioned this until Betrayed. - Reader Rat

Logos is already among the dead then, even if he still thinks he is walking around. - Dozerman

So, who is Betrayed? - Gorge

He's Damien Knight in full ork drag. - Net Ned

We were double crossed. I'd never attack an orc underground warehouse if I could help it. That damn elf Logos has made an enemy today. If anyone is looking for him, send me a pm and we'll talk business. - Leadfoot69

I'm looking for him. We'll take your pet shifter too. A tail would add some flair to my necklace of elf ears. Green Mohawk

Oh drek, I hate tailchasers. - SteelSam11

Listen well young ones, do yourself a favor and just shoot the Johnson before he can open that pretty mouth and spout honeyed words. - Beakman

Hmmm....who is Leadfoot? - Gorge

He's President Dunkelzahn. - Ace Face

Make mock not of Dunkelzahn. We will ascend to a state of unity and fraternity under his anima's guidance. - Aeisha

I'm the driving force behind the revolution in Seattle. First orcs, then soon all metas will be rising up. The time of a human ruled world is coming to an end. They've had it too easy for too long. - Leadfoot69

The MPs swarmed to the Harbor Island chokepoint the night of the raid and arrested several gatehouse guards on corruption charges. Naturally, both Lonestar and Knight errant are renewing their bid to gain the Harbor Island security contract, and the Metroplex guard is crowing. - SPD

Can I join? - Gorge

If anyone needs to hire some real runners that don't turn on their Johnson, send me a pm. MadHat30

Humans aren't so bad. You just gotta selectively turn off the cyberears at times, to cut off the jabbering. Korz

Shigeda-gumi Yakuza Clan Imports Bunraku Parlors from San Fransisco

by

Samatha Squealer

The Shigeda-gumi Yakuza clan has been making enormous amounts of nuyen lately by importing the latest craziness out of Bankgok, Thailand and San Fransisco, California, bunraku "flesh puppet" brothels, using prostitutes modified with personafix BTL chips to make them into whatever the client wants.

The smell of nuyen has attracted several of the Yakuza's rivals and it is rumored that the Mafia and several Seoul rings are planning their own parlors. - Plex Peon

Ick. Just ick. - Shayna

A despicable practice and abuse of science. Often the "workers" are outfitted with cranial bombs to prevent the removal of the chipjack. - Doc Brown

Bell Street Buzz, your source for the paydata you need to keep your hoop safe in Seattle's Shadows

Newsdate: February 16, 2060

Elven Gangers Vanish While in RPD Custody

by

Muckraker Mike

The 21 members of the Sygils, an elven street gang, vanished while in the custody of the Renton police department sometime yesterday, with the public none the wiser. Although there is a clear electronic record of Renton PD transporting them to Shadowlake Correctional Facility, and electronic receipt of the prisoners at the prison, our sources inside Shadowlake say the elves have not been seen.

The elves were arrested last week just after a gang of elves with FN-Har assault rifles terrorized the teachers and students of a Renton school for autistic ork children.

Shadowlake has a history of experimental treatments and unorthodox methods for prisoner rehibiliation, leading to the possibility that the prisoners are being kept from the general population for some particular experimental program or the like. However, not even the usual guards in charge prisoner intake and checkin have seen the elven gangers. Which leads to the obvious questions...Where are they? And why isn't the mainstream media reporting this?

I did some time at Shadowlake, before I learned my way around a deck. A hideous place to live, especially for deckers. I only was there a year, but I was 5 years recovering from the experiments with BTL and skillsofts they routinely practice on prisoner deckers. - Reading Rat

Sounds like a Humanis conspiracy. - Dozerman

Is there anyone left ignorant of the fact that the Humanis Policlub owns Renton and thus the officials inside it? -Plex Peon

Though Renton has made a concerted effort to eliminate racism, the Humanis Policlub and its ilk are not only active in the district, but they have made alarming progress in recent years. The policlubs actively recruit the district's bored and rebellious teenagers, with so many voting-age young people now swelling the ranks of these hate groups that they now have representation in the district government. - Smiley

As usual, Smiley is too polite to come out and say that the Humanis scum have a virtual stranglehold on the district's future. Even 20 years ago when I was a rookie in a prowl car, I saw Humanis reccruiters hanging around the schools waiting to fill kids with their drek about this-or-that race being responsible for all the world's troubles. The worst thing about it is that the racists taught the kids to hide their hatred and prejudice behind phony smiles and fake demonstrations of racial good will. At least the fools in the Barrens are up front about who they hate and why. In Renton, you can't be sure if a smiling teenager is really a straight-thinking believer in giving everybody a chance, or a twisted little pervert ready to sink a knife into some poor Metahuman mother the second her back is turned. - SPD

We deplore the comments made by SPD (whoever he is) about our district. He is obviously delirious to imply that our streets are home to nothing but knife-toting racists. - The Renton Race Relations Coalitiion

I served the Seattle Police Department or 30 years before it disbanded, and I know this city better than I know my wife and kids. I stand by what I said, and I might further point out that on the day the Renton Race Relaions people filed their complain, three elves were found excecuted in south Renton. Don't ever call me a liar again. -SPD

Careful, chummer. The way you say that makes it sound like you did it. - Findler-Man

Newsdate: February 16, 2060

Shadowrunners Hit Bellevue Luxury Hotel; Steal Master Chef

by

Samantha Squealer

The blessed lives of the filthy rich guests staying at the luxury hotel the Chateau were brutally interrupted this morning when armed Shadowrunners began attacking security forces. Both gunfire and magic were exchanged on both runner and security sides, with the runners making effective use of wide area stunball spells. Many of the hotel guests were caught in the spells and knocked out as well.

After defeating the security forces near the kitchen, the runners broke into the kitchen and forced the hotel's master chef to come with them. The runners escaped in a getaway car, but were pursued by a hotel security rigger. The Shadowrunners managed to best the rigger by the simple expedient of blowing out his engine with automatic weapons fire.

Our sources both in the sky and in Lonestar tell us it appeared the runners were going to be caught in the infamously tight coils of Bellevue's multi layed police and barrier cordons, but then vanished as if by magic. (Quite possible with the heavy use of magic by the runners during the assault)

Demonstrating a mastery of the media beyond most mortal ken, the hotel somehow managed to massage the "official" news story to be about bratty rich kids stealing cars and going for a joyride in Bellevue.

And who were these heroic shadowrunners? Like I told last night's conquest, I'll never tell.

Oh, the lame stream media, I never trust them. Oh wait, does this place count? Damn, I'd have to get a social life if I couldn't waste countless hours here. - Net Ned

Rather vulgar use of magics and autofire, but still the unorthodox use of a vehicle mask spell to escape the Star was timely indeed - Sorcerous Bill

So, who was it? Gorge

Governor Schultz's zombified corpse - AceFace

« Last Edit: <03-22-13/1807:03> by GiraffeShaman »

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-13/1802:09> »
Seattle Times News Stories

Originally published February 1, 2060 at 8:02 AM | Page modified February 1, 2060 at 6:20 PM

Share:
Share on FaceBase Share on Quickhits Share on MatLink More Sharing Services
Comments (54) .E-mail article
Joint Task Force Seattle Brings 5,000 troops; Soldiers and Airmen ordered to conduct "peacekeeping operations" in the Seattle Metroplex in response to the Renraku Shutdown

By Janice Harper and Reggie Stanze

Seattle Times staff reporters

PREV of NEXT

Related
Most Popular CommentsHide / Show comments

This will drive the Injuns up the wall...
(February 1, 2060, by Horace) MORE
It's all over chummers. We'll soon be part of NAN... (February 1, 2060, by Cpirast) MORE
Rumor is that Colonel O'Neil isn't happy about his command being taken over like this... (February 1, 2060, by nihilist) MORE
General Angela Colloton is a puppet of the Seattle Yakuza. Look at this Pic of her brother. Those tats signify that the Yaks own him, body and soul... (February 1, 2060ConcernedCitizen) MORE
read between the lines here, folks. there's more here than meets the eye. (February 4, 2060) Limerick777
Read all 55 comments Post a comment .

Joint Task Force Seattle Brings 5,000 troops; Soldiers and Airmen ordered to conduct "peacekeeping operations" in the Seattle Metroplex in response to the Renraku Shutdown

5,000 UCAS soldiers and airmen arrived in Seattle today, a move sparked by the continued ominous silence inside the Renraku Arcology. Joint Task Force Seattle is led by Brigadier General Angela Colloton, deputy division commander of the First Infantry Division. General Colloton outranks the current Metroplex Guard commander, Colonel Ben O'neil, which puts her in charge of all armed forces in the Seattle metroplex. General Colloton brought with her a detachment of forty magicians-almost two thirds of the First Division's entire magical force. This is in stark contrast to the four magicians currently serving in the Metroplex Guard. Joint Task Force Seattle is ordered to conduct "peacekeeping operations" in the Seattle metroplex.

Responses were swift from other Nations bordering the Seattle Metroplex. NAN border forces, already operating in an increased presence on the Seattle border immediately responded with massive force deployments and increased military movements and stances along the border.

The Seattle Metroplex is a valuable source of healthy competition and an excellent outlet for our goods, said Salish Chief Harold Gray Bear.

"However, this aggressive move by the UCAS is greatly disturbing and we will do what we must to protect our borders and our people. Formal protests are being filed."

*The rest of this article contains various reactions by nearby nations, including Tir Tairngire, Aztlan, and the California Free State*

Janice Harper: 206-818-1822 or jharper@seattletimes.com. Reggie Stanze: 206-813-4611 or rstnze@seattletimes.com.

Originally published January 15, 2060 at 9:06 PM | Page modified January 16, 2060 at 6:58 AM

Share:
Share on FaceBase Share on Quickhits Share on MatLink More Sharing Services
Comments (54) .E-mail article .Print Conner's South Hill rezone plan has towers up to 400 feet
Ork Riots Shake Puyallup; Buildings could rise to 400 feet in parts of Puyallup's fast-growing South Hill area under a proposal unveiled Monday by Mayor Jason Conners

By Bob Young and Eric Pryne

Seattle Times staff reporters

PREV of NEXT

Related
Most Popular CommentsHide / Show comments This doesn't bother me. Time to clean up the trash in Puyallup
(January 16, 2060, by mannyh) MORE
I was surprised the reportr mentioned nothing about the effect tall towers would likely... (January 16, 2060, by Craig Johnston) MORE
Another example of how the City Hall of Puyallup hasn't met a developer's or special int... (January 16, 2060, by nihilist) MORE
Read all 54 comments Post a comment .

Ork Riots Shake Puyallup: Buildings could rise to 400 feet in parts of Puyallup's fast-growing South Hill area under a proposal unveiled Monday by Jason Conners

South Hill Housing Projects protests led by pro Ork and pro metaHuman groups turned violent this week, claiming dozens of lives on Tuesday the 15th. Only quick response by Lonestar Citymasters and Wasps brought some measure of order to the district directly south of Puyallup proper and authorities fear further uprisings. The protests came about in response to the Mayor Conner's South Hill building project, which led to the closure of the South Hill housing project. South Hill housing project was primarily inhabited by orks and there has been great resistance to the enforced evacuation. A common complaint by pro meta groups is that Conners is trying to put all orks into a "ghetto" in the Carbanado region.

The long-awaited plan, which must be approved by the City Council, was released last Monday after a neighborhood process that started in 2058.

Bigger buildings would bring thousands of jobs and households, Conners said. They also might provide millions for affordable housing and park improvements under a policy that gives developers extra height if they contribute to public benefits.

"Many companies in our growing technology and public-health sectors want to be in South Hill region. This proposal will help that growth continue in ways that bring significant public benefits," Conners said in a statement.

Proposed height increases are not uniform throughout the area, which is roughly defined east to west by 8th and Aversin Streets.
Much of the Carbanado neighborhood in the eastern part of the area would not see zoning changes under the mayor's plan.

The tallest buildings — apartment and condo towers up to 400 feet, and office towers up to 240 feet — would be allowed on the blocks just north of Garison Way, where current zoning limits building heights to 100 feet. That strip includes undeveloped blocks owned by Vulcan Real Estate and Corson Company.

Condo towers up to 240 feet and office towers up to 160 feet tall would be allowed on much of the area north of that, between Averson Street North and FairWood Avenue North and south of South Hill.

The height limit there now is 85 feet at most

In three blocks between Hallond Street and South Hill, Conners also would allow 200-foot buildings. But the property owner, Gary Allen's development firm Vulcan, could only build one tower per block in the city's effort to preserve northward views.

In a deal still being negotiated, Vulcan would have to provide land elsewhere in the area for affordable housing and parks, plus a cash contribution in order to take advantage of the increased height. Donations to various ork-friendly groups were also instituted, in addition to generous relocation funds.

Conners would let residential buildings go higher than office towers, in hopes of encouraging more housing near jobs in the neighborhood and northward into Puyallup proper.

His proposal also would use a new Metroplex law by which developers would buy the development rights of rural land in King and Pierce County to keep that land as farm or forest. In exchange, a portion of property taxes from new buildings would be plowed back into South Hill to pay for new infrastructure needed to support growth. The concept is called tax-increment financing for transfer development rights.

Led by Vulcan and aided by about $300 million in public funds, South Hill is being transformed from a warehouse district into a high-tech beehive, replete with upscale restaurants and housing and stores.

Nearly 2,300 residential units and 4.2 million square feet of office, research, lab and hotel space are planned to have been completed in South Lake by 2065.

The zoning changes may not touch off a flood of new development there — because the flood already has begun.

Nearly 400 apartments and more than 300,000 square feet of office and lab space are under construction in the neighborhood, and developers have filed plans for an additional 800 apartments and 1.15 million square feet of offices, heading northward into Puyallup proper.

A few of those planned projects were designed in anticipation of the zoning changes. Skanska Development, for instance, has proposed a 160-foot office tower on property where the height limit now is 65 feet.

Most of the development in the pipeline could be built without the proposed zoning changes, said Blaine Weber, a principal with Seattle architectural firm Weber Thompson.

"But we'll definitely see some new towers," Weber said. "We've got some clients looking at them right now ... They've been in a bit of a holding pattern, waiting for the zoning to shake out."

The proposed changes have the potential to add 8,000 new housing units and 12,000 jobs, according to city planning director Marshall Foster. "The neighborhood has changed so much. This will help step it up to the next level with more housing and amenities," Foster said.

The City Council's land-use committee hopes to finish its review of the proposed changes this summer.

Bob Young: 206-464-2174 or byoung@seattletimes.com. Eric Pryne: 206-464-2231 or epryne@seattletimes.com.

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-23-13/0000:27> »
There are a bunch of celebs in Attitude and on pg 50 of SR4A. That is where I got the names for the Entertainment bits in my scream sheets. There are others scattered around out there like Maria Mercurial.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-23-13/1100:40> »
I used to play an investigative reporter (a la sunshine) and wrote news articles to sell to papers before they knew the event had happened. I felt very Clark Kent.

Companero

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-24-13/2005:58> »
The serious problem with this kind of thing is that once you start doing it, your players will start issuing statements to the press!

Mantis' screamsheets are really inspirational. I want to emulate that level of commitment in my own game, really.

I started doing a paper for my Star Wars campaign after some of the players commented on how funny it was to hear local news and rumours completely misrepresenting their actions, and I got inspired. I kinda found that actual news was less interesting and funny than fluff pieces. It doesn't hurt that the players in my game are currently wealthy celebrities and sportsmen, but...

...I just found that writing fluff pieces directly about the players tended to create more immediate plothooks than basic screamsheets I've used in earlier games. Having a journalist criticise one of the players directly basically redirected my campaign more than I expected it would, and I want to find a way to use that power for good  ;).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mAaOeleaAyU8ijnWBhKYcCkYkgyeGbjYEZyHAjOlcNU/edit

http://vircadesproject.blogspot.co.uk/ RPG blog! - cyberpunk gaming blog!

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-25-13/0451:06> »
That's pretty cool. I read through your pieces and I'd like to offer a bit of advice.
Never, ever, ever, never, ever, never use that purply pink colour ever, ever again. My god, my eyes still aren't focusing right. Otherwise, nice. I used Adobe InDesign for my layouts but you could use Photoshop or something similar. Maybe even Word and use a multi-column layout. Once you have it set up, it's just a matter of changing the content each time. Have fun. And seriously, don't use that pink.