Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

HMHVV - The Romero strain?

(1/4) > >>

Pure Mongrel:
(First off sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed already)

I was wondering if anyone had done a Zombie adventure / campaign / setting in the Shadowrun universe?

A HMHVV strain that effected dead tissue perhaps? (Either by mutation of the disease or manipulation of the disease.)
A Universal Soldier themed adversary? (Either science based reanimation of the dead or automated cyber that uses a corpse merely as a vessel to house the tech.) 
Necromancy?

If so ...

How did your Zombies differ from Ghouls (aside from being the living dead) and why?
How did you deal with reanimated metahumans that had cyberware installed and why?
How did you use these undead in your games and how did it "work out"? (For instance, mindless brain seeking zombies epidemic, a necromancers minions or "Dead" special forces controlled by a corp or other organization).

Longshot23:
With the number of house games out there, you'd never be able to find out.  Sorry.

My thoughts:

"A HMHVV strain that effected dead tissue perhaps? (Either by mutation of the disease or manipulation of the disease.) "  This niche has been filled, more or less, by the shedim - although there's no HMHVV element.  If you want to have a shedim-possessed Infected, that's up to you.  Pretty nasty though.  And FABIII works on Infected.

"A Universal Soldier themed adversary? (Either science based reanimation of the dead or automated cyber that uses a corpse merely as a vessel to house the tech.) 
Necromancy?"  Basically, this is cybermancy, as defined in SR.  I've never played any of the published adventures, so I have no idea if a cyberzombie pops up in any of them.  And they're pretty tricky to build too, from a GM viewpoint.  I've tried a few times.

Zombies don't eat.  ghouls do.
Reanimated metahumans with cyberware generally aren't PCs.  Either the cyberware is deactivated, in which case it's dead weight, or it's not.  Either way the zombie isn't going to be able to use it.  It's dead - no cognitive function.
Attack by massed zombies?  Airdropped incendaries seem to work.  FAE bombs, maybe, with a couple of 'normal' bombs in the mix for blast effects.  Maybe including a drop on the apparent source.  Depends how complicated you want to get.

But old HERO-system GM saying = when in doubt, complicate . . .

Eisenbeiß:
*cough* Shedim *cough*

No seriously, I've been pondering about an infection/zombie campaign for some time. HMHVV has the problem that the infected retain some if not all of their mental capabilites. So my best guess are the shedim. Throw lots of low powered Shedims  (F1-3) at your group and you should have a very fine zombie apocalypse. ;-)

tbrminsanity:

--- Quote from: Pure Mongrel on ---1. How did your Zombies differ from Ghouls (aside from being the living dead) and why?
2. How did you deal with reanimated metahumans that had cyberware installed and why?
3. How did you use these undead in your games and how did it "work out"? (For instance, mindless brain seeking zombies epidemic, a necromancers minions or "Dead" special forces controlled by a corp or other organization).

--- End quote ---

1. Zombies (as of SR3) are animated corpses usually created by a corrupted Voodoo Priest.  Take any metahuman host and add in a loa spirit (with associated powers).  Check Street Magic to see if they updated the rules from SR3 as I'm not as good with magic in SR4.  Ghouls are infected metahumans with HMHVV (Krueger Strain).

2. Treat the cyberware as part of their body as normal (unless as the GM you want to say certain cyberware was turned off at death (like datajack)).  The possessing loa won't be able to use all types of cyberware (especially netware) so use your better judgment.

3. I've only incorporated Zombies a couple of times and they can be VERY evil (picture a cyber-Troll Zombie of the Warrior loa).  Lucky for PCs, these types of Zombies can't turn you into a Zombie (usually they just take your body back to the priest to do that).  If you want a Zombie apocalypse though I would have a Voodoo priest turn a pre-turned ghoul into a zombie and then have the loa go free (ie an uncontrolled zombie that can spread HMHVV).  You can even say that any turned character will instantly become an astral beacon for free loa spirits that will possess the body and thus giving you the Zombie horde you want.

Coldbringer:
Hmmm how about nanites gone horribly horribly awry?  I ran a Cyberpunk 2020 game were I had a zombie plague caused by some medical nano-tech that went crazy. It was fun.  Alternately it could be an HMVV strain that causes ghouls that is unusually virulent.  I have pondered a number of appropriate ways to do a Romero type zombie scenario for Shadowrun myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version