NEWS

metahumans and facial hair?

• 7 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <01-30-17/1522:26> »
Do orcs get facial hair?  What about trolls?  The art I’ve seen doesn’t show it for either race that I can recall, but I also don’t recall reading anything one way or another. 

I’m assuming that elves can -- but only if it looks dapper or appealingly roguish -- of course dwarves can.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-17/1611:24> »
Trolls and orks can, and I'm not sure why it appears that they usually don't. I used to have a picture of a bushy-bearded elf, but that was on my old laptop that has long since kicked the bucket.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-17/1732:21> »
yes they can grow facial hair....

Or suffer from male pattern balding....

They ARE related basically humans still.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-17/2121:42> »
I am now trying to picture the George Costanza version of an elf.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-17/0241:58> »
I did some quick searching for pics and it isn't hard to find the various meta-types with facial hair. Hardest one was maybe elf. But google searching with the keywords "Shadowrun elf beard" gets some decent examples pretty quick.

Ork beard turned up specifically Shadowrun examples without even needing the keyword. And the example Troll Shaman that Cliffhanger Productions drew up for SR: Online has a big braided beard.

So yeah, all the metatypes can have all the variation of a your run-of-the mill human. They just also have the characteristics of their metatype too. All of them have pointed ears, Elves tend to be thinner and taller; Dwarves stockier and short; Orks have tusks and are bigger; and Trolls have horns, dermal deposits, and are way bigger.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-31-17/0325:35> »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-31-17/1058:50> »
I am now trying to picture the George Costanza version of an elf.

In the Tir Taingire book, there's a fantastic picture of a homeless Elf with a potbelly warming his hands over a burning trashcan while a noble walks by with her guards.

I *want* to say that he had a mullet, but I can't be certain.

But now?

Now I want to see the mullet catch on as a trendy Elf hairstyle.

Because that'd be just hilarious.

(Facial hair was "In" for the Tir, back in the day, as the Princes were almost all beard-sporting types. When they fell out of fashion, so too did facial hair. It'll trend back in time.)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-01-17/1612:55> »

<mod edit>Giving credit where credit is due, image from Blademaster by Greg-Opalinski.
« Last Edit: <02-03-17/0713:09> by FastJack »
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.