NEWS

Random thoughts on anti aging spell

• 23 Replies

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« on: <10-01-12/1817:11> »
Just a thought that popped into my mind . Numbers wise it seems  reasonably possible to make a health spell that (I`d suggest it was sustained) would heal "aging damage" taken whilst the spell was in effect. It wouldn`t heal aging allready in place but would prevent such damage while it was sustained?
Is this even in keeping with SR4 themes or just a bit too early in the Mana cycle if at all possible? ???
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

foolofsound

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-12/1920:51> »
The Immortal Elves exist. I would say that you could probably sustain an anti-aging spell, though you would have to be careful of wards from then on out. Very long term exposure to large amounts of mana could take a toll also.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <10-01-12/1937:17> »
Actually, a Permanent duration Health (or Manipulation) spell to mimic Leonization wouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe -1 calendar year per hit?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-12/1953:54> »
Actually, a Permanent duration Health (or Manipulation) spell to mimic Leonization wouldn't be too far fetched. Maybe -1 calendar year per hit?

What would the drain value be you think? I'd probably make it kind of high so there was some risk of something going... "wrong"
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-01-12/2027:32> »

What would the drain value be you think? I'd probably make it kind of high so there was some risk of something going... "wrong"

Away from books, but it shouldn't be too horrible.

Permanent Duration on a Touch range Physical restorative spell. Minus some Drain for Restricted Target (Willing) and possibly Restricted Effect (Younger only, never older).
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-12/2128:44> »
Only issue would be potential impact on the setting itself.  Currently medical treatments are only available to the rich and powerful, and not without rumoured side effects.

This spell could easily become available to the masses and makes youth much more wide spread, potentially impacting the setting...

I rather leave this as an 'undiscovered' spell or a powerful sacrifice ritual or something similar...

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-12/2159:06> »
Oh, definitely something any sane GM would veto, just going over the mechanics of it.

Hmmm, I agree about it fitting best for Blood Magic. Perhaps an Advanced Metamagic (call it "Life Stealing" or something) that has Sacrifice or Canibalism as a prereq. De-ages 1 year per Essence, perhaps.

If nothing else, it's a great excuse to have a first-generation goblinized Ork Blood Adept (Twisted, too, of course) still walking around in prime fighting condition.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #7 on: <10-01-12/2205:53> »
I actually think it would be much more likely to exist as a Metamagic with preqs, to limit it further. Maybe the character ages only (12-Initiate Grade) months a year. Since it's not as powerful as Dude's suggestion, it need not be a Twisted power, but could still require an expensive or dangerous ritual, like a metaplanar quest.

Edited because Dude said the same thing better.
« Last Edit: <10-01-12/2252:23> by ArkangelWinter »

foolofsound

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-01-12/2246:41> »
Being constantly inundated with mana isn't exactly a good idea, even if it does extend your life. I'm sure GMs sould come up with much more interesting deterrents than simple bans.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #9 on: <10-01-12/2254:24> »
Being constantly inundated with mana isn't exactly a good idea, even if it does extend your life. I'm sure GMs sould come up with much more interesting deterrents than simple bans.

Like a Mana Addiction, maybe a few more psychoses. Not to mention the guys after your "secret of immortality", and curious Awakened investigating the aura.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-02-12/0049:32> »
Eh if you go earthdawn like they had a spell or 2 that removed some years, I think they had some hefty reqs though.  And even in the SR setting I think 2e may have been 3e, there was shadowtalk about a human from the middle ages in some magical cult/secret society.  The black council or something. 

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <10-02-12/0650:39> »
As an healing spell, it would suffer from the 'body reset' problem: by the time you try to 'heal' aging, the body considers it the normal setting so it won't be permanent, you'll have to sustain it.

It might work as a manipulation spell, similar to Makeover, but... I think we would be talking at least Ritual Sorcery here if only from the difficulty of casting it, and with a leader who also happens to have a good Medicine skill.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-02-12/0722:00> »
As an healing spell, it would suffer from the 'body reset' problem: by the time you try to 'heal' aging, the body considers it the normal setting so it won't be permanent, you'll have to sustain it.

It might work as a manipulation spell, similar to Makeover, but... I think we would be talking at least Ritual Sorcery here if only from the difficulty of casting it, and with a leader who also happens to have a good Medicine skill.

Actually, according to my understanding of human aging, the body's "natural state" is actually most perfectly represented just as we hit full physical maturity somewhere in the mid-20s. All the changes after that are the result of wear and tear from every-day life breaking us down.

Plus, given that Leonization doesn't cost Essence, one could very easily argue that the Health spell would work just fine as a Permanent effect, since the game mechanics seem to consider age reversal to be a "restorative" process, not a "disruption."
« Last Edit: <10-02-12/0726:52> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <10-02-12/1240:54> »
Haven't read through the whole thread, but I'll drop my .02 nuyen here.

1) In the Earthdawn days, there were spells/rituals that could dramatically slow (or even reverse) aging. However, those spells all required high-level blood magic.

2) Immortal Elves exist, however they are not immortal because of a spell cast on them, but because they have dragon DNA.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-02-12/1247:10> »
How do they have dragon DNA? this is the first I've heard of immortal elves.... are they the result of an elf + dragon mating? Sorry to be off topic just curious.

Back on topic, if it's 12-intiaite grade than when you initiate 12 times you'd stop aging correct?
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man