NEWS

Dunkelzahn's Will

• 237 Replies

gyrobot

• Newb
« Reply #150 on: <08-22-14/0316:51> »
Now when you think about it. It all lands on a 7. Feburary 14 aka 14/2...2057 2+5+7 = 14. Since 777 is a way to say jackpot and Fastjacks last name is Matthew. I see that Jackpoint was involved with a dragon. Asking Big D to help him hide and in his case if he had fallen to sybil...find runners to stop before its too late. So yeah Fastjack dealt with big D to prepare for the crash seven years from now and this was a warm up.
Wow. I doubt that was the intent.

When did they let Plan 9 on here?  :P

And then there are four sevens. Fastjack left his position to Slammo and Bull around the end of 74 when his multiple personality disorder became too much.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Big D was concerned the whole Nanovirus was a threat but was at least subtle about it. It was Big D way of saying "If the Shadows can't find you Fastjack in 10 days, then yes we are well damn fucked. If we do find you, maybe we can use your body to help find a cure..."

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #151 on: <08-23-14/1723:20> »
But that's not all! There are more 7s!  The analysis was brought to us by gyrobot!
G is the first letter in the name and the 7th letter of the alphabet!
Y is the 25th letter of the alphabet and 2+5=7!

Yeah I'm done.   Can't keep going too silly.

Also there's no mention anywhere that *I* can find of FastJack's last name being Matthew/Matthews.  In fact the only fic I remember just names him as "Jack," and since I doubt a 12 year old boy would be going around with that as a street name in 2011 (I could be wrong mind) its quite possibly his actual name.

gyrobot

• Newb
« Reply #152 on: <09-04-14/2200:56> »
Now I remember, Happy Trails

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=7437.0;wap

Lars may be a relative of Fastjack  or an alias at least.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #153 on: <09-04-14/2218:44> »
Different Perri.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #154 on: <09-05-14/1040:55> »
Ah, the Will...the gift that keeps on giving....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <09-05-14/1238:06> »
Sort of. The last time the DF gave anything out from the will was like 2068.

:P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #156 on: <09-05-14/1421:08> »
Well, there are the bounties on blood mages and toxics. But yeah, we're still waiting on the Tirs to disclose the full bios of their founders, for instance, and for Aztlan to give up blood magic.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #157 on: <09-05-14/1657:49> »
Yeah, but even the bounties aren't given out that often.

And there may not be a gift to give if the Tirs ever did comply.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #158 on: <09-05-14/1819:15> »
I was thinking more to us as players, GMs, and writers....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #159 on: <09-06-14/0706:50> »
Sort of. The last time the DF gave anything out from the will was like 2068.
There is one bequest to be handed in 2071, and one which is required for as long as the Draco Foundation exists.
Quote from: Dunkelzahn's Will
To Morgan Leroy Hall, on the occasion of his reaching his majority at eighteen years of age on June 28, 2071, I leave all stocks in my Florence portfolio. Until this time, no transactions may take place involving these stocks. Any votes to which these shares are entitled shall be undertaken by Morgan’s legal guardian. I also leave 1 million nuyen in a trust fund to be managed by his legal guardian for his care and schooling until his twenty-first birthday, the remainder of which will transfer to Morgan Hall on his twenty-first birthday.
Beginning in February of 2058, the Draco Foundation will sponsor two annual competitions for the purpose of advancing the frontiers of knowledge, with an emphasis on practical applications. These competitions will be open to the public, with no entrance fee and no formal qualifications required. Winners will receive a patent established in their name by the Draco Foundation, and additional resources for development if applicable.

The first competition (time and date to be announced) will judge magical innovations, including but not limited to such categories as Spell Design, Magical Theory, Magical Objects and Astral Exploration. The second competition will judge technological innovations, including but not limited to such categories as Rigger Technology, Space Technology, Matrix Technology, Medical Technology and Cybernetics. This competition will take place roughly six months after the first competition.

But yeah, we're still waiting on the Tirs to disclose the full bios of their founders, for instance, and for Aztlan to give up blood magic.
Too late for the latter.
To the Aztechnology corporation, I leave the Sexton of Worlds, with the provision that the corporation and the government of Aztlan ban the practice of blood magic in territories under their jurisdiction within a year of my death and submit to an outside investigation to verify this ban, the investigator to be designated by and answerable to the Draco Foundation.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #160 on: <09-06-14/0712:10> »
MOrgan Hall is a plot thread that could be picked up. Neat!

And the Tech/Magic competition should *really* be used more.

*jots down a  couple of notes*

I swear, if I ever write anything *half* as useful as Dunk's Will, I'll consider myself a good writer. That book remains astounding to this day.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #161 on: <09-06-14/0823:44> »
The annual competitions are possibly the most overlooked item in Dunkelzahn's Will. They stand out as the only one with no time and no money limits: The foundation is to give any quantity of "additional resources for development".

Most people boast about Dunkelzahn changing the megacorporate scene by triggering Fuchi Industrial Electronics collapse (which he's supposed to have done by giving Richard Villiers just enough additional stock to make him realize he would never control Fuchi and should leave).

Those competitions target the very basis of megacorporate power. Megacorporations have more employees, more facilities, more money and more power. There's no more room for growth. What matters is innovation. Most of Shadowrun is about abducting scientists, stealing research results and blowing up labs. Because megacorporations had no other way to ensure the next breakthrough will come from their own R&D divisions. To remain in the top spots for several decades like the AAA do, they had to either take over or crush any start-up business who could threaten their market shares with a new product. That's what shadowrunners are for, and that's why they required the governement to restrict the extraterritorial privilege (and the security measures it allows to take) only the the largest corporations, to be decided by the Corporate Court.

Dunkelzahn's Will allows the Foundation to grant unlimited funds to such start-up, for additional research, production, distribution, marketing and, most important, security. It doesn't even have to disclose the sums engaged.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #162 on: <09-06-14/1407:06> »
Well, IIRC, Fuchi's demise came because of two things. First, Miles Lanier, head of Fuchi Security, got a board seat at Renraku, Fuchi's primary rival. That would be like one of the big guys at Apple suddenly getting a seat on Microsoft's board. Second, he gave Villiers more shares of Fuchi, enabling him to roll enough core properties into RJR, which he was then able to break off and turn into Novatech. So basically, Big D gave a one-two punch to Fuchi, and also shook up Renraku something awful at the same time.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #163 on: <09-06-14/1440:08> »
Well, IIRC, Fuchi's demise came because of two things. First, Miles Lanier, head of Fuchi Security, got a board seat at Renraku, Fuchi's primary rival. That would be like one of the big guys at Apple suddenly getting a seat on Microsoft's board. Second, he gave Villiers more shares of Fuchi, enabling him to roll enough core properties into RJR, which he was then able to break off and turn into Novatech. So basically, Big D gave a one-two punch to Fuchi, and also shook up Renraku something awful at the same time.
My point is that what happened entirely relied on Richard Villiers will to leave Fuchi and start a new corporation he would own. Miles Lanier was actually so loyal to him that he kept working toward that goal while seating on Renraku board of directors. Had Richard Villiers been perfectly happy to keep on running Fuchi like he did from the two decades, only with a little bit more voting stock, a trustful mole inside Renraku and a new head of security, Fuchi may still be around.

So either Villiers already had started crafting a plan to create a new corporation, and Dunkelzahn learnt about it, or the dragon knew he just needed those two gentle pushes to knock off Fuchi delicate balance of power, counting on Richard Villiers' ambitions or any other factor to destroy Fuchi.

Another big factor in the events as they took place during Blood in the Boardroom was Renraku Computer Systems getting access to Brightlight technology, encroaching on Fuchi and MCT market shares with new, superior products (and upgrading the Seattle arcology computer system with the result we know). Without this, Fuchi may have been able to survive the loss of its North American division. Renraku and Brightlight struck their secret deal in May or June 2057 (at the end of Black Madonna events). It's possible Dunkelzahn knew about it, but this was supposed to be a big secret.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #164 on: <09-06-14/1851:19> »
I was thinking more to us as players, GMs, and writers....
:P