NEWS

Shadowrun version of a lightsaber

• 29 Replies

malady305

• Newb
« on: <10-18-11/0132:43> »
I am working on creating a magical tradition based loosely on the jedi order. I want to equip him with a weapon somewhat like a lightsaber. The only options I find in the books are either vibrosword, monofilament katana, or perhaps monofilament whip. Does anyone know of a more fitting alternative, either from the book, or homebrew?

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #1 on: <10-18-11/0157:17> »
I think that is as close as you get with conventional weapons. But do you really, really need a lightsaber in shadowrun? I get the other Jedi order things with a specific code etc. but lightsabers are SciFi not so much cyberpunk.

You could give him a fancy weapon foci and add a glowing effect (I can't remember the foci creations rules and haven't my book at hand right now). But GM fiat should make it possible; a glowing weapon isn't a boon its a signature and in the dark anything that lights up is a easy target.

Or you could create a custom spell that generate a glowing blade (like a touch damage spell with +1 reach) and then have a sustaining foci in a ring you cast it through (Space Balls anyone?)

Hope that helps a little.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Barskor

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-18-11/0159:19> »
Develope a spell that creates a sword of energy add fire and acid with a minuet per force level tie that in to a sustaing focuse Oddly clindrcal in shape and ther e yoyu go

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-18-11/0227:54> »
an Ally spirit with Realistic Form (Lightsaber) and Energy Aura (Light). Will take some karma to achieve, but a proper lightsaber has to be earned.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <10-18-11/0451:58> »
Despite Barskor's incomprehensibility, he's essentially correct.  Develop a touch-range (+1 Reach, like rasmusnicolaj suggested) damaging spell, cast it, tie it to a sustaining focus 'hilt' ... and there you go.  In SR2 we used the Anchoring rules then (which have since been severely emasculated) to enable an actual on/off action that you didn't really need to worry about.

Alternately, and here's the more likely, less Drain route, go with weapon foci swords.  And mystic adepts.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #5 on: <10-18-11/0503:24> »
You could take a leaf out of one of my SR3 player's book and make a Reach 1 Monofilament Whip, and reduce the DV to 6P.

malady305

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-18-11/0527:59> »
All very interesting ideas. I will have to run them by my GM to see how he wants to deal with it. I may even end up just using a vibrosword or monowhip. Essentially, this weapon is something he will gain once he initiates, and the main purpose of its use is to slice things apart. The "light" part of the lightsaber is not as important, especially because of the stealth killing nature of the lightbeam and the humming sound. Im still not sure how to go with this one.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-18-11/0901:39> »
[Element] Aura with the Light Element on yourself adds damage to your melee attacks. You could either use that, or research a limited version that only works on swords you are holding.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <10-19-11/0049:28> »
Yeah, but the thing of it is any time you cast the spell, you have to handle the drain; sure, a sustaining focus will hold onto it for you, but the drain is still a concern -- or at least it would be for me.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

malady305

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-19-11/0316:09> »
Yeah, but the thing of it is any time you cast the spell, you have to handle the drain; sure, a sustaining focus will hold onto it for you, but the drain is still a concern -- or at least it would be for me.
Well this character does resist drain pretty well, but I dont think I want to risk overdoing it, so Im leaning more toward a monofilament blade, vibrosword, or monofilament whip. Which among these does the most similar kind of damage to a lightsaber?

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-19-11/0409:45> »
Well this character does resist drain pretty well, but I dont think I want to risk overdoing it, so Im leaning more toward a monofilament blade, vibrosword, or monofilament whip. Which among these does the most similar kind of damage to a lightsaber?

Well, that's kind of like asking whether a bison, hyena or chimp smells more like a Troll - hard to answer because the latter doesn't exist in the world of the former.

But, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the Monofilament whip - it has damage that is not based on Strength, and halves the armor of your opponent.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-19-11/0427:09> »

Well, that's kind of like asking whether a bison, hyena or chimp smells more like a Troll - hard to answer because the latter doesn't exist in the world of the former.

But, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the Monofilament whip - it has damage that is not based on Strength, and halves the armor of your opponent.

Not to mention there was that huge discussion about monofilament whips a couple weeks ago that claimed they were the shadowrun equivalent of a lightsaber because of the fear factor.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-19-11/0517:52> »

Did the comparisons really go that far? (just curious - I

Not to mention there was that huge discussion about monofilament whips a couple weeks ago that claimed they were the shadowrun equivalent of a lightsaber because of the fear factor.

Did the comparisons really go that far? (just curious - I kinda got tired of the discussion )

OT - Who the hell have you pissed off to have such a smited Rep?!?  :o

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-19-11/0645:21> »
Who knows, it went south in that discussion and I figure it's just someone being petty.  Big deal.  I'm never rude, rarely vulgar, use the rules as I understand them, and I try to keep my spelling correct.  I was worried about it but not now.  The ones that keep smiting me won't get me to leave, and the mods won't kick me off because I haven't broken the TOS.  Heck if I get a -300, I'll probably throw a party at this point.  I figure it would be good for morale.
Living the Electronic Dream

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #14 on: <10-19-11/0744:04> »
 ;D
I will come, and I'm sure you are right about it must be a single user being petty.
I Applaud you whenever I get the chance just to even the score a little.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?