NEWS

Usefulness of Watchers

• 5 Replies

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« on: <07-28-16/1442:58> »
I am playing an intuition mage who is a detective.  I started with R6 in ritual casting, with the intent to use locate person and locate object with remote sensing, with summoned and bound spirits as the spotters.  I also have taken the watcher ritual for help with surveillance and such.  I did all this because it made sense for my theme. 

The reality seems to be that a single mage pulling off a decent force ritual is very difficult.  My first three attempts at F6 watchers were unsuccessful.  We have another mage, and eventually I hope to do ritual casting together, but I had planned it by myself.  Unfortunately, watchers have an Intuition of F-2.  So even a decent F4 watcher only has an Int of 2.  This only grants 6 perception dice. 

What are good uses for watchers, if they have limited dice pools?  Even the search power requires rolls.  With such a low dice pool (remembering that extended tests use diminishing pools), you can't expect much success.  Does anyone use them in their games? 
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-28-16/1631:45> »
You'll need an initiation: Greater Ritual (p.153 SG) adds your magic rating to your force, allowing you to cast much stronger rituals even when you are alone.
Getting an Ally Spirit to help you with your ritual casting will also benefit you greatly.

If you have a lot of Watchers you can use them to either aid each other through teamwork or use them to mob a target in astral combat (You'd likely have to max out your spirit control)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-28-16/1635:48> »
Yes, if I decide that watchers are worthwhile, I am planning on taking that metamagic.  Suddenly, with an F4 watcher, he is effectively F10, with a dice pool of 13.  I'm just trying to see if they have enough utility to spend an initiation on. 
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-28-16/1645:17> »
You could get the Homunculus ritual as an addition. Getting R12 golems made from hardened concrete in addition to a bunch of watchers will allow you to greatly expand your ritual mage's repertoire of tricks.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-28-16/1716:35> »
Corpse Cadavre and Zombie Rituals for the Win. :)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <07-28-16/2139:05> »
Not everything requires perception, I'd think.  Most people are not expecting magical surveillance, so often they can just be spotted, vehicles followed, rooms checked for living things, etc.