NEWS

[5e OOC] And The Rain Keeps Falling

• 575 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #120 on: <07-25-16/0307:13> »
I pinged Pixel a few days ago and received a response right away - like three hours later - saying that she had been out of town for a days but would be back that evening and could post then. But, as we can all see, no post, nor has she been online since then.

I think the Wednesday deadline is reasonable. I'm not adverse to some starter rolls taking place before then too, lest we lose too much momentum.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #121 on: <07-25-16/0850:35> »
Alrighty, in the interest of giving the group the ability to move forward, I'll make a couple small rolls for Pixel. As I am pretty new to this, please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere...

Roll 1: Hack on the fly to enter the Newhaven public grid: Somehow rolled 0 successes with 14 dice. not the best start, but since she's not even on the grid, and technically, the grid should have a free mark on her because of the failure, I'll assume she resets her deck and tries again clean.

Roll 2: Hack on the fly to enter Newhaven public grid attempt 2: 6 successes this time

So she's on the grid, time for matrix perception to find shift schedules, building files, and anything else particularly useful looking. In that order:

Guard shifts: Computer 5 + INT 6 = 11d6; 3 hits
Building info: Computer 5 + INT 6 = 11d6; 4 hits
Other info: Computer 5 + INT 6 = 11d6; 4 hits

I'll gather the files and copy all at once: Computer 5 + LOG 6 = 11d6; 2 hits

Alright, so she's able to copy all the files. The group now has the rent a cop guard shifts, they work 8 hour shifts, morning shift starts at 6am, afternoon/swing starts at 2pm, and overnight/graveyard shift starts at 10pm.
Building layout appears similar to every other hospital, main lobby waiting area, individual exam rooms populated along long hallways, the fourth and seventh floors are dedicated office floors for the doctors, each with their own office. The fifth and eighth floors are dedicated labs, with wide open bays and island countertops for work.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #122 on: <07-25-16/0912:55> »
Hahaha, 0 successes on 14 dice is horrible. Ouch!

Minor correction on Grid Hopping from page 240 of SR5:
"Using Hack on the Fly to hop grids unsuccessfully doesn’t alert the grid or its demiGOD the way most unsuccessful Sleaze actions do."

You are right that the sleaze action would kick off Overwatch, and with a failure on the very first step you might as well reboot.

Couple of comments on hacking in general for your reference:
In order to access the grid she has to roll against 4 dice for a local grid; any hits are added to her Overwatch Score (which is important for you to keep track of).

Getting on the grid itself technically isn't enough unless that information is entirely public, and even then it'd probably be protected by a host. In that case, she'd have to sleaze a MARK on the host by either attacking the host directly or finding a device she could plug into to bypass the host ratings. If she went up against the host directly she would be rolling against Host Rating + Firewall. Assuming a Rating 4 host, for example (low-end commercial, private business), the host would be configured with an ASDF score of 4 through 7, likely focusing on Data Processing and Firewall, so A4, S5, D6, and F7, for a total of 4+7 dice. If the host was a local corporate host instead, the guideline is rating 7 to 8 which means a dice pool of 7+10 dice. Understandably, hosts can be pretty nasty.

Getting the MARK would allow her to enter the host, at which point Patrol IC would likely get a chance to spot her (Data Trails page 86 has a great reference on Patrol IC). In the case of IC they always roll Host Rating x 2, which in this case could be 8 or 14 dice, by the above examples.

Once inside, it'd probably be a Matrix Search test, not a Matrix Perception test to find the relevant files. Makes for the same dice, as both use Computer + Intuition, but the time frames are slightly different. Assuming she's running the Browse program, you'd only be looking at a 30 second interval with a threshold of 1, with additional hits used to reduce time. Then, you're right on the money with the copy file test, assuming the files aren't protected (which they probably wouldn't be).

That all being said, that's just for reference. Nothing wrong with handwaving a bunch of rolls like this.

Do we have any info on the 9th and 10th floors? I could have sworn Newhaven was described as a ten story building.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #123 on: <07-25-16/1233:42> »
Ahh thanks for the very detailed and useful response, I'll have to save that one for when matrix stuff comes up again. For now, I'll hand wave stuff so the team can keep moving and not have to worry about re rolling all those.

Yes, it is a ten story building. The majority of the floors are simply hospital rooms, either exam or recovery focused. Only the floors directly mentioned are any different. Given corporate fat cat lifestyles, I'd bet the top floors are high roller recovery type rooms with a nice view. But for IC purposes, no different from the majority of the floors.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #124 on: <07-25-16/1308:57> »
Asher had already said that Dr. Nelson's "last communication indicated his office was on the 7th floor" so that fits with the dowloaded blueprints.

CraterShip, I'm not sure if you're using it but on Orokos there's a super-handy link underneath the rolling results. Look for "Copy pasta" and click on "bbcode" and it will give you a string that can be copied and pasted into the forum posting window. That saves a lot of time formatting the rolling results. I just noticed that your URLs weren't matching what Orokos would producing automatically. Maybe you were changing them manually, but I thought I'd mention it in case it saves you some work.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #125 on: <07-25-16/1455:56> »
rednblack
As I hinted at in my post, Eddie's knowledge of security devices would very likely include the knowledge that keycard copiers are expensive (600¥ per Rating). If we pooled our money we could get one, but between Pixel and myself we can bypass maglocks the hard way, or steal the cards from off-shift workers on the eve of our break-in.

In terms of looking through the personnel files to find people whose physical shape and size matches the team members, let me know if you want a roll on that CraterShip.

With a straight up Perception (Searching) test I'm sure we could team work it, and Eddie by himself can buy 3 hits for a couple of rolls. I'd primarily look for someone higher up in the ranks for Chaim especially, and someone lower for Eddie as he'd prefer not having to talk to anyone unless absolutely necessary. Of course, we might also have to consider abducting someone who's about to go on shift so that the system doesn't throw any flags for someone being where they're not supposed to be especially when they're not to supposed to be there...

Pixelated

• Newb
« Reply #126 on: <07-25-16/2020:53> »
Hi guys, sorry I vanished...I had been working nights for a few then on the way home friday from work I got rear ended at a light and well been dealing with that and not being able to sit comfortably at the computer, I'm pretty sore : / anyway! I promise I'll get back into the swing of it. I'm glad you guys kept it moving though! I'll be posting again IC starting tonight or tomorrow...if I fall asleep it'll be tomorrow since I just took some real strong pain meds sleep is probably the more likely since I feel drugged :/ Now I have to figure out transportation too >.>

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #127 on: <07-25-16/2029:40> »
Glad to have you back! I hope you are alright. I've lived through that pain before, and it is no fun! Take your time getting back into everything, I did make some rolls for you as you can see in the previous OOC post, you are welcome to RP them as your own, if I missed anything you'd like to look for just let me know. Again, welcome back!

Tecumsah: I have been using the bbcode link from orokos, I thought I had used it correctly, but I am also mostly using my phone, so out may have odd issues.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #128 on: <07-26-16/0757:29> »
Update from IC posts: Yes the guard roster contains duty stations, the guards are on rotating shifts as to which floor they are on, or who is patrolling outside.

Also, leaving it to chance to see if any of you have similar builds to people that work there... And you got super lucky!
Rolled 5d6, with each die corresponding to each of the 5 PCs. A success = have a similar build. Rolled 4/5 successes everyone but pixel has a similar person on the roster. Up to you guys how you want to use them now.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #129 on: <07-26-16/0821:36> »
Man, sorry to hear about your accident, Pixelated. At least the car can be replaced, hopefully you're doing better.

CraterShip
These similar people, are they all guards or do they have other jobs? Also keep in mind that Chaim at least can use disguise, so he could theoretically make himself match someone that isn't a perfect match.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #130 on: <07-27-16/0537:12> »
For now, I'll operate on the assumption that all the roster names are for guards. Clients and doctors will of course be much harder to impersonate. Although if you want to go dig up physical records or dive back into the matrix, there could be more.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #131 on: <07-27-16/0709:14> »
In that case, let me edit my IC post :)

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #132 on: <07-27-16/1753:57> »
given the nature of our target and its inherent allergy to light would it be wrong  to assume that the basement would be a more logical place to [erform research on it?

either way is there a way we can look at the duty stations in relation to the floor plans to swag (scientific wild arssed guess) a target area?
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #133 on: <07-27-16/2004:38> »
Do either/both research floors have airlocks, or things like that which would appear to us that it's for researching dangerous diseases, etc?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #134 on: <07-28-16/0732:42> »
Nothing on the blueprints you found mention a basement at all, and there are clean rooms on both of the lab styled floors.