NEWS

"Enabler" and Drugs?

• 4 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <05-06-16/0723:54> »
Is this another case of "The fluff doesn't match the mechanics" or am I doing drugs wrong?

The fluff of the Enabler spell (SG, 110) says that it makes you more susceptible to drugs and toxins and that wiz-gangs use it to get a better high out of drugs. It does that by reducing the Toxin Resistance dicepool...

Now I looked at Toxins and Drugs in the CRB. Body+Will, each net hit reduces the Power of the toxin by 1. So ok, Enabler works fine for Toxins.

But drugs? I've never seen anyone roll a Toxin Resistance test to try and resist drugs, drugs don't even have a power level that it could reduce. It's just Duration "12 - Body in hours" or something, not "12 - net hits from the resistance test".

So my guess is that it's just one more instance of "The mechanics don't really work like the fluff tells us". Correct?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-06-16/0736:40> »
Correct.

Weaponizing drugs (with DMSO for example) is a good way to ensure someone takes a hit, as there is no resistance test. You could literally overdose someone into oblivion with a few capsule rounds full of a drug of your choice.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-06-16/0741:37> »
As a quick response, I would say that it is less "mechanics don't work like fluff tells" and is more like "mechanics don't touch what fluff says."

The fluff says that gangers take it to get a "better high," not a longer one. You are right in that there is no resistance against the effects of most drugs. But this doesn't mean that Enabler isn't doing what the fluff says it does. Getting a "better high" from drugs isn't really covered in the mechanics of the drugs, it is a fluff aspect of using drugs. There isn't a stat on the drugs that says "how good a high" a character gets from taking it, so the fact that Enabler doesn't modify anything in that regard is unsurprising.

Now, I haven't looked at the rules for Enabler, but does it also modify addiction ratings or thresholds? Because based on the wording you mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if it also made the user more susceptible to addiction. But that might not be covered in the rules effects either...

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-16/0813:06> »
No, doesn't touch addiction ratings and thresholds at all.

[spoiler]Enabler  is  the  opposite  of  the  spell  Antidote  (p.
288, SR5). This spell increases the target’s susceptibili-
ty to drugs or toxins. Naturally, Enabler is popular with
wiz-gangers to help themselves and other druggies get
a better high.   The target resists with Body + Counter-
spelling.  Each  net  hit  scored  reduces  the  target’s  dice
pool by 1 for the Toxin Resistance Test. Enabler must be
sustained until the toxin effect kicks in, otherwise it does
not affect the Resistance Test.[/spoiler]

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-07-16/1712:12> »
How's this for a ruling.
Enabler increases all effects by 50% rounding up.
Also add 50% rounded up to addiction ratings.