NEWS

[5E OOC] The Further Adventures of James and Illeana

• 589 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #405 on: <09-12-16/1557:47> »
Wow, Illeana's the vampire but James is the one going for the neck.

I suppose Illeana's IP1 is a free action to comm that it didn't work, then holding the rest to see what James does.

Towser will try to dodge/block/parry, whatever the unarmed combat version is.

Towser defense: Reaction + Intuition + Unarmed + Combat Sense + Reach: ?d6t5 8 hits

Tie goes to the defender. Hartman uses his long arms to swat the blow aside. It nicks his neck but does no significant damage. Looks like they put the first-stringers on your protection detail.

Hmm, what would Illeana do. Trolls are tough, and she'll be doubly concerned that he shrugged off her spell with no effect. She'll try once more and if that doesn't work then maybe they'll have to tag-team him. As for spells, there are a few options:

Mana Bind: Targets break free out of Mana Bind with Body+Strength so let's just forget about that for a troll.
Foreboding: Area effect, hits allies and enemies alike, so let's skip that since James is in melee combat.
Influence: worth a shot, I suppose

CT1 IP1
Free: Comm James ("It didn't work!")
Complex (held): cast Influence ("Run for your life!")

Illeana spellcasting: Magic 11 + Spellcasting 7: 18d6t5 5 hits
Hartman resisting: Willpower + Logic: ?d6t5 2 hits

I should have subtracted a die for being a held action but her final die was not a hit so the result stands.

Got some traction with that one. There might be more efficient uses of the command but Illeana is hoping that one that has a basis in reality ("run for you life" being relevant for a situation where a brain-damaged supersoldier is attacking you with a cyberspur) will both last longer and provide some deniability in case they get captured and she needs to claim that James was fugue-ing.

CT1 IP1
33: Illeana: held, then spellcasting
30: James: skewering attempt
24 24: Towser: euphoria'ing/TBD
24 19: Hartman: running, presumably

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #406 on: <09-13-16/2041:50> »
Man, I'm having a hard time figuring out what Towser would do. On one hand, he is tripping the light fantastic. On the other hand, he is a highly-trained operative and the negative modifier does not exceed his Willpower, so per the rules he is able to act.

Towser
Free: Comm for backup
Simple: Iaijutsu stun baton
Simple: Stick James with the stun baton

Step one, quick draw: Reaction + Clubs - Tripping Balls: ?d6t5 1 hit

Hahaha, poor Towser can't even get his stun baton out. Instead of shocking James, he'll spend his second Simple action to properly draw the stun baton. His hands are shaky though.

Hartman
Free: Shout "Fall back!"
Complex: run for his life

Given his training, I should probably have him roll to resist the spell again, but since James is in his face with a cyberspur it actually sounds like damn good advice right now. That takes us to the next IP.

CT1 IP2
23: Illeana
20: James
14: Towser
9: Hartman

Illeana will summon a fire spirit, because that's the responsible thing to do in a crowded theater, right? She actually wants it on the astral for cover as she anticipates reinforcements will be on their way shortly. She needs a good one so she'll go F6.

Summoning: Magic 11 + Summoning 4: 15d6t5 5 hits
Spirit resist: Force: 6d6t5 2 hits
Soaking 4S drain: Willpower 7 + Intuition 10: 17d6t5 8 hits, yay overkill

Illeana has an F6 spirit with 3 services. Optional powers are Fear and Guard.

James is up!

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #407 on: <09-14-16/1149:34> »
Good Ghost Hartman's got some defense dice!  I think James is going to be a little hesitant about that.  And challenged.  He'll take the -5 to his Initiative and do an Intercepting attack.  No Called Shots on this one.  I have: AGI (11) + Unarmed (7) + Cyber Weapon Spec (2) = 20 dice.  Frag I forgot the Cyber Weapon Spec on the last attack :/
Stick Hartman: 20d6t5 3
Nope, but it might make Illeana's directions a little more clear as to her intended audience.  Hartman's at least at -1 for Previous Attack; we'll see about Blocking.

Now I think it's time we start running, and toward an exit near the opposite direction of Hartman's path of egress.  James will comm directions with additional instructions to initially take off in different headings.

I probably need a Navigation test in addition to the Running test.  Luckily for James, Navigation is based on INT and not LOG, so maybe if he can't reason his way out, he can feel his way out.  For Navigation I have: INT (9) + Navigation (4) = 13 dice.
Navigation: 13d6t5 4
Ideally, James is looking for the nearest subway or equivalent.  Kind of weird to think of Detroit offering anything that would compete with the all might automobile, but if there's no driving allowed down here, there's bound to be some sort of longer-distance travel options. 

For Sprinting I have: STR (8) + Running (6) + Hydraulic Jacks (6) = 20 dice.
Sprinting: 20d6t5 5
An extra 10 meters for a total of 32 meters per turn.

CT1 IP2
Free: Comm Illeana
Complex: Sprint

James would also like to sheath his Cyber Spur, but I'm not sure if the mental commands for that and sending the comm overlap.  Assuming they do.

James is at 4/5 Edge.  Adjusted Initiative is 15.

ETA: what kind of options do we have for paths of egress? 
« Last Edit: <09-14-16/1605:50> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #408 on: <09-14-16/1714:36> »
Your IC post mentions Hartman fumbling for his stun baton but that was Towser. Hartman is retreating.

I'm going to say that Hartman's retreat, which triggers James' Intercept attack, is enough of an action that he isn't subject to the -1 for Previous Attack. He would be if James continued the assault in IP2.

Hartman is going to block/parry again. James definitely notes that Hartman is fighting professionally and efficiently and isn't some nameless grunt. It's strange; it's almost like Ares knows what James is capable of.

Hartman defense: Reaction + Intuition + Unarmed + Combat Sense + Reach: ?d6t5 10 hits, and, given his absurd Physical Limit, he gets to keep them all

I think we can safely say that James misses.

James runs at 22 meters per CT. We're halving the sprint rate too, so James 5 hits buy an extra 5 meters per CT. That makes it 27 meters for this CT, although James can increase that by sprinting again in IP3. This is mostly academic since we'll probably be abstracting a lot of this, but we'll go through the exercise to put some hard numbers on how quickly you open up the distance between you and the Seraphim. So, 27 meters per turn, round up to 28 for convenience. 4 IPs, so 7 meters per IP.

You'll have to sheathe your cyberspur next IP.

Is James going to tell Illeana to run in a different direction? Is that what you meant by taking off in different headings?

There are plenty of exits, mostly emergency exits so that the crowd can disperse in case of emergency. Which is what we have now. You're at a mid-afternoon show so it's not crazy busy but let's say there are 100 people either exiting the theater (same as you) or milling about in the lobby, buying concessions, etc. Most of these are bolting for the exits, which will clog your path somewhat.

The Interception rules say that you can roll Agility + Gymnastics to dodge people. While this will slow you down, it will also slow down your pursuers and potentially provide cover.

We'll call the front doors 25 meters away from your starting position, so 18 meters away after IP2. There are currently 50 people racing toward them, but luckily there are 5 different front doors so we'll say 10 a piece. You need to dodge 10 people (via AGI+Gymnastics) on your way to the front door, should you go that way. You will be slowed to Walking movement rates while dodging. Once you get that far, you'll be out in the open plaza. It's still pouring rain outside, which means fewer people to blend in with but might provide environmental cover.

If you take emergency exit #2, you only have to go 20 meters (minus 7 equals 13 after IP2) but you still have to dodge 10 people since it's only a single door. You don't know where you'll end up but your gut instinct says an alleyway or whatever runs alongside the theater.

If you take emergency exit #3, you only have to go 15 meters (minus 7 equals 8 after IP2) but it's clogged with 15 people since it's the closest to your theater. This might also dump you in an alleyway.

You could also bowl people over with a Charging Attack if you didn't want to go around them. Some Gymnastics/jumping shenanigans are potentially feasible as well.

The remainder of the people in the lobby are cowering, or taking cover, or paralyzed with indecision.

I don't know much about Detroit. Let's say that you're in the vicinity of the Fox Theater (which is a performance hall) and The Fillmore (similar). You're not in either of those two but in a trid theater they built in the vicinity. They've turned the parking/street space outside into a nice plaza with shopping and cafés and whatnot.

See if this works for a map.

There are stairs and elevators that take you to the aforementioned underground parking. There is also the People Mover (which you will see on the map) but that's above ground. Some sports stadiums are a couple blocks to the E-NE. (The plaza extends in that direction.) The underground parking helps serve the stadiums. James thinks that there might be some shuttles or trolleys moving people around the underground parking, but doesn't know if that is limited to heavy traffic days like game days.

Aside: it occurs to me that yesterday was the same day as it is in-game (9/13). End aside.

On that note, let's check to see if there was a game last night. Well, well, well, there [urlhttp://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=360913106]was[/url]. So it's game night tonight. Current day Comerica Park doesn't have a roof but future stadium does because no self-respecting Detroiter, pride of the UCAS, is going to be put off by a little rain that was probably conjured by vengeful Sioux shamen intent on ruining good, clean, American fun. That said, the game won't start for a couple hours so there might not be a thick, rich crowd to get lost in yet. Maybe some pre-game traffic coming to the plaza for an early dinner though.

The freeway is a couple blocks north of you. The river is 1300 meters to the S-SE.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #409 on: <09-14-16/1810:56> »
We're halving the sprint rate too,

Is that a recent change?  First post in the OOC says 2 meters per hit.

Is James going to tell Illeana to run in a different direction? Is that what you meant by taking off in different headings?

Yes.  Basic gist is that they'll head to the same exit, but take different approaches to get there.  Say Illeana takes the far right door of the main exit, and James takes the far left. 

I'd like to get Physical Masks on us before heading out into the sites of the VTOL, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.  I plan on taking the first stairwell down into the underground promenade, so hopefully we don't have our hoops hanging out in the rain for long.  Given James' knowledge of security design, how likely does he think it will be for him to jump through the glass over the main entrance/exit?  That may be an avenue for avoiding the crowd.  If not he'll do his best Cal Iverson (Detroit Lions rookie of the year, 2072) impersonation and bowl through them via a Charge Attack
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #410 on: <09-14-16/1843:30> »
You're right, I did say that the sprinting remains at the published rate. So you are correct that James is at 32 meter per CT right now, or 8 meters per IP.

Is the question about the glass whether James can jump high enough or whether he can break through the structure rating?

Security design: James is pretty good at this. This is a soft target on the doorsteps of the headquarters of a AAA corp, so it would be reasonable to conclude that it's not just glass. It's probably not armored glass, because that stuff is unsightly and this is a pleasant plaza. Ballistics glass is most likely. If so, it would have 10 dice to soak. James would have to do 4 or more boxes of damage to break it.

If you want Physical Mask, you'll have to ask for it and then you'll have to be close enough for Illeana to touch you.

The staircases outside are within 35 meters, so your hoop wouldn't be hanging out too long before getting underground.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #411 on: <09-14-16/1926:58> »
I was fairly certain that James could make that kind of height.  I'd guess that doors are about 3 meters tall to accommodate troll clientele easily, but that means 6 hits on a Jumping test, since by RAW getting a running start doesn't affect vertical jumps at their half-meter per hit gain.  Now there's the math of whether James can physically jump that high.  He's 1.8 meters tall, so he's capped at 2.7 meters for Vertical jump tests,but his Hydraulic Jacks up that by 20% bringing him to 3.24 meters.  Wow, so it's at least possible.

Let's give it a shot.  I have: AGI (11) + Athletics Group (6) + Hydraulic Jacks (6) = 23 dice. 
Vertical Jump Test: 23d6t5 4
Man, that's a lot of 3s and 4s.  Well, let's Edge that puppy, as I'd rather not end up prone right now.
Edge Re-roll: 19d6t5 3
That'll do it.

Next, James needs to do 4 boxes of damage to the ballistic glass.  Not sure the best way to proceed here, but I'm guessing we'll treat it as a Charging Attack?  I could also see a simple BOD + STR to do it.  I'm also of a couple different minds on whether or not James should lead with his Cyber Spur.  It has the best damage at 11P -2AP, but it also doesn't feel entirely realistic, as James will probably be protecting his core on the way out.  Maybe 8P + hits is the best way to go.  I'm going to roll BOD + STR because I think it's more realistic. 

I have: BOD (5) + STR (8) = 13 dice.
Break Through Glass: 13d6t5 5
If we're going base STR that's 13P to be soaked with 10 dice.  Not looking good for the old ballistic glass.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #412 on: <09-14-16/1954:30> »
Vertical jumping distance is more for someone leaping straight up in the air, but I'll allow it here because it's cool and because James is a freakish superhuman and it seems plausible.

However, he still needs at least 1 more IP of running to get close enough to the doors to do this. I read an article (well, some of it) to get a sense of how far people jump and how high they go after liftoff. If the peak of James' jump is 3m, then he needs to be taking off from 10-11 meters away, which would be during IP4.

James technically doesn't get an IP4. This might be a good time to test out your Attribute Boost power, courtesy of CFD, to raise your Reaction 1 point to get IP4. Or you could just wait until CT2 IP1.

Using your cyberspur would make the attack on the glass a formality. Using your Body is less certain but still likely.

Glass soak: Structure 4 + Armor 6: 10d6t5 3 hits

Given Newton's Third Law of Motion, James needs to soak 4P, which will be reduced to 4S by his armor. Roll at your convenience.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #413 on: <09-15-16/0007:56> »
James corrected Initiative was 15 after using Interception, so he won't be able to get another pass.  Can you remind me what freakish powers I have for CFD?

I'm confused on the IPs.  James is currently running at 32 mpct, and the front door is 25 meters from his starting position.  Why would he wait until CT2 IP1 for the jump?  if it's not going to happen this CT I need to figure out my last pass. Further Sprinting tests aren't going to get me any further with James coming up on top of the crowd, so I think I'll go for:

CT1 IP3
Simple: Turn Wireless Off
Simple: Sheath Cyber Spur
Free: Comm Illeana

James is going to go dark for his new link which has been broadcasting SIN, etc.  When James spotted the VTOL earlier, was it Running Silent?

For Soaking I have: BOD (5) + Rapid Transit (9) + Cyber Armor (4) = 18 dice.
Soak: 18d6t5 7
« Last Edit: <09-15-16/0017:14> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #414 on: <09-15-16/1303:14> »
Movement is goofy, especially when you have a variable number of IPs. Then, of course, it gets thrown off by things like Sprinting tests and Interrupt actions that may change the number of IPs a character has or how far they can go in those IPs.

I did the math in my head last night and I can write it out if you want. The long and the short of it is that to most realistic outcome is for James to jump during CT1 IP3 but not to land until CT2 IP1. Not doing so would effectively make his jumping speed much faster than his sprinting speed, which is unrealistic. (This is also something I wish I had done in Tabula Rasa. When the RV lost its wheel and tipped over, I wish I would have extended the tipping and falling over multiple IPs instead of having it all happen within one second.)

The Dalmatian was running silent when James spotted it earlier, yes.

No problems on the soak, obviously.

I'll try to get Illeana's actions up today, plus those of Towser and Hartman.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #415 on: <09-16-16/0117:40> »
Illeana CT1 IP2 @ 23
Free: Run
Simple: Remove Victorinox Memory Blade: Dagger (which is disguised as a bracelet)
Simple: Ready Weapon

Her dagger won't harden into a dagger until the end of CT1 IP3. With her celerity and vampiric speed power, she can make it about 6 meters per IP, assuming 4 IPs per CT.

Towser CT1 IP2 @ 14
Free: Drop stun baton
Simple: Ready weapon
Simple: Short burst at Illeana

Towser shooting: Agility + Automatics + Smartlink - Euphoria: ?d6t5 4 hits

Illeana has Combat Sense and may dodge even though her back is turned.

Illeana dodging: Intuition 10 + Reaction 4 + Combat Sense 4 + Running 2 - Burst 2: 18d6t5 4 hits

A glancing blow. The stick-n-shock round connects and discharges. Damage is 5S(e) -5AP. Luckily, Illeana is wearing her non-conductive form-fitting body armor. I know armor is abstracted and all but I'm going to leave off her mask because it doesn't make any sense to include it while getting shot in the back.

Soak roll: Body 5 + Armor 8 + Non-Conductivity 3 - AP 5: 11d6t5 2 hits

Bzzt! Illeana takes 2S, loses 5 off her Initiative, and will be a -1 for all actions until CT2 IP2.

Now to roll to see if she manages to sustain her spell. Willpower 6 + Spellcasting 7: 13d6t5 3 hits, yes, spell stays active, but that's at least her sixth below-average roll in a row

Hartman CT1 IP2 @ 9
Free: Run
Complex: Sprint toward the nearest emergency exit (#3)

Forgot fire spirit's initiative: Initiative: 3d6+12 24, which we'll dock 20 off for IP3

CT1 IP3
8: Illeana
5: James
4: Towser
4: Fire Spirit (materializing)

Illeana CT1 IP3 @ 8
Free: Run, now 12 meters from Towser
Simple: Command Fire Spirit
Simple: Command Fire Spirit

The fire spirit will need to materialize before is able to act.

The Ares Executioner comes with a sound suppressor. James can roll Audio Perception (-2 distracted, -2 interfering sounds) against a Threshold of 2 to see if he hears the gunfire. If so, you may revise his CT1 IP3 actions, although you won't know that Illeana's been hit without an Observe in Detail. Per my earlier post, if you want to begin your jump on IP3 and end it on IP1, you may.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #416 on: <09-19-16/1151:09> »
For Perception James has: INT (9) + Perception (6) - Distracted (2) - Interfering Sounds (2) = 11 dice.
Perception: 11d6t5 3
Noticed.

So, firing automatic weapons in a crowded theatre huh?  This should be fun.  Firing from the suitcase makes the Recoil Penalty 6 for a Short Burst correct?

I will opt for taking the jump this IP and land during CT2 IP1. 

What are my CFD related powers?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #417 on: <09-19-16/1918:12> »
James doesn't know that the ammo is SnS yet. When he does, he can start to compute the value he (or Illeana) must represent if the company is willing to taze its own people in order to get to him (or her).

James is unaware of what modifications the suitcase might have that may assist with recoil. Alternatively, Towser could just Aim between short bursts to reset the penalty, which would make sense given the crowded conditions.

CFD Powers
1) Attribute boost: Simple Action. Roll 6 dice. Each hit allows you to raise one Physical attribute by 1 point. The effect lasts for [Hits] Combat Turns. After than, you soak [Hits] drain. The soak test isn't in the rules but I don't see why this should be worse than what an adept goes through, so we'll say BOD+WIL to resist. That's 12 dice, which should result in mostly drain-free boosting. James' Agility is maxed out but he has some room for gains on his other physical attributes.

2) Toxin Resistance: James gets bonus dice to resist toxins, should he encounter them.

3) Adrenal Control: James can continue operating for a short while if his Stun or Physical condition monitors are filled.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #418 on: <09-20-16/0132:13> »
Let's finish off CT1.

IP3
8: Illeana - commanding spirit
5: James - jumping
4: fire spirit - materializing
4: Towser - shooting!

Towser
Towser is very excited to see James leaping over the crowd. That means Towser can shoot you while you have minimal ability to dodge while in midair. Let's see how this goes.

Shooting James: Agility + Automatics + Smartlink + Take Aim - Euphoria: ?d6t5 5 hits

To dodge, you get to use Combat Sense 4 + Running 2 - Short Burst 3 = 3 dice. You can use Edge too if you choose. Damage is 5S(e) -5AP + net hits.

Then it's time to roll initiative again!

Illeana: Initiative + Vampiric Speed - Tazed: 4d6+23 35
Fire spirit: Initiative: 3d6+12 18
Seraphim: Towser, Hartman: ? 20 Towser ? 19 Hartman

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #419 on: <09-20-16/1143:47> »
No Defense test while Jumping?  That's unexpected.  Doesn't appear as though Sixth Sense would apply, as James isn't Unaware, so I think I'll forgo any Edge tests.  Not like he's not going to get hit.
Defense: 3d6t5 1

Soaking 9S(e) -5AP.  James has: BOD (5) + Rapid Transit (9) + Cyber Armor (4) - SnS (5) = 13 dice.
Soak: 13d6t5 4
An average Edge roll would keep him out of any negative mods.  Let's give it a shot, and spend Edge to re-roll failures
Edge Re-roll: 9d6t5 2
Nope.  James takes 3S, is at -1 to all actions until CT2 IP3, and as per the earlier rule about Initiative subtracting at the time a char acts, James will take -5 to CT2's Initiative.

Initiative: Initiaive: 10+4d6 23

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal