Pantherine Corporate Predator - first time shapeshifter

• 23 Replies

Ravensong

• Newb
  • Maxim 13 - Do unto others.
« on: <01-13-16/1908:18> »
Code Name: Lola
Race: Pantherine Shapeshifter - Nocturna

Up until recently, Lola was a prized corporate espionage agent for a branch executive of EVO Corp. She has been raised, from a cub, to be an ideal, and most loyal servant. Her talents were discovered early on, and harnessed in every way to produce a true social predator in the grand battle between AAA's. Her so called master took possession of Lola when his predecessor was suddenly, and quite violently, extracted by a rival corporation. While not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, Lola none the less possesses a primordal cunning, and truly stunning proportions. Her exotic beauty has the tendency of making her stand out in a crowd, a dark, luxurious fur covered female elf. She uses what ever tools at her disposal to assist her rising to ever greater heights of power and freedom. After 23 years, Lola is ready to strike out on her own, and explore the world beyond the confines of EVO's gilded cage.

[Still working on the back story on how/why Lola runs the shadows.]

Attributes:  Panther | Nocturna
Body 5 | 4
Agility 7 | 8
Reaction 5 | 4
Strength 3 | 4
Will 3 | 4
Logic 2 | 2
Intuition 5 | 3
Charisma 7 | 6
Edge 4 | 4

Positive Qualities:
Agile Defender
Friends in high places
Trust fund
Revels in Murder

Negative Qualities:
SINner (Corp Limited - EVO)
Distinct style
Prejudiced: (Biased - Wage Slaves)

a stats                                   
b race - Panthera (3 points)   
c skills           
d resources               
e mundane

Not sure of the skills yet.
Definitely want to be solid in:

Active Skills:
Stealth
Con (Seduction)
Unarmed (Bite)
Gymnastics
Palming
Automatics/Pistols

Knowledge Skills:
Corporate Culture
Toxicology (Non lethal)
Karma Sutra
« Last Edit: <01-14-16/0056:28> by Ravensong »
Brad: We're gonna be bodyguards for teen rock-stars.
Schlock: Wouldn't the cause of freedom be better served if we killed them instead?

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-14-16/0011:28> »
Seems pretty solid. I like how she is more charismatic as a panther than in elf form.

If she is AWOL, can she still collect the trust fund on her Corporate SIN?

Ravensong

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-14-16/0052:01> »
Cheers. One of her friends in high places set it up. But good point. May want to clean that up. Although...

Gives me the idea that perhaps Lola still works for EVO... Will check with GM, he tends to enjoy twists like this.

I love this game.
Schlock: Wouldn't the cause of freedom be better served if we killed them instead?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-14-16/0058:01> »
Karma Sutra
Is there an in-joke here? It's usually 'Kama Sutra'.

Ravensong

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-14-16/0146:42> »
Yes, our GM is ruthless about players abusing all tease and no tickle on NPC's.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-14-16/0918:23> »
Don't you automatically have a MAG rating as a shapeshifter? I forget how that works.

I would maybe try to be an adept because shifters can't really do ware, so ally our stat boosting stuff will need to be magic or drugs. I like the build overall but you could definitely benefit from some stat boosting stuff especially initiative.

If you're actively working with and good standing with EVO I wouldn't consider that a negative. Why are you running if you have such a sweet setup?
Playability > verisimilitude.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-14-16/0941:20> »
Ah. Shapeshifters do start with a magic rating, though I forget if that matters so much when doing priority character generation vs. karma buy. Whiskey's right - Magic/Resources/skills are you lowest priorities, so it's going to be tough to get boosted pools where you want them, even if you Edge them. I did just check - I think Panthers at B priority only get 2 special points not 3.

How about an priority, though I'm not 100% about it:

A Attributes
B Adept (Magic 6, 4 skills)
C Meta (no points)
D Skills
E: Resources

This will start you off with less Edge/Resources, though those are easier to raise in game, but give you a lot of adept powers points to work with. While Skills D is my least favorite priority allocation, with adept B you are getting 26 skill points vs the 28 and 2 group at priority C.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-14-16/0943:17> »
Mets C is painful here and probably why people often say shifters are borked.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-14-16/1011:03> »
Meta/Magic can switch for increased edge. Also, they probably should switch because checking again, Shifter Magic rating is capped at 5.

I would allow shifters to add magic rating to their initial rating: so a B/C Meta/Adept would have and Edge of 3 and Magic of 5.
« Last Edit: <01-14-16/1110:32> by FST_Gemstar »

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-14-16/1025:47> »
Oh that's fair!

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #10 on: <01-14-16/1043:45> »
I gotta say, there are things that I like about Priority (fairly intuitive, straightforward, simple) and then there are things that I hate about Priority. The biggest thing that I hate about priority is how it ranks "being something other than a human/elf" as as big of a jump in power as getting 4 more attribute points or tens to hundreds of thousands more in nuyen.

The differentiation between human, elf, dwarf, troll, ork, shifter, SURGEling is not as stark as Priority would have you believe. Heck, I don't think it's even as stark as KarmaGen would have you believe. If anything, if human is free, dwarf should be +10 karma (not +50), ork should be (+10), elf should be +20 and Troll should be +30. That's about as big of a swing as I actually think there is. Centaurs would then be like 25, Cyclops would be 35, shapeshifters would be from 35 to 60ish.

SURGElings ... are weird. All classes should be player choice. Random rolling is not really the Shadowrun way. Class I, II, III should all be about how powerful they are. I would probably go with Class I costs 5 karma and you get a perfect balance (+/- 1 karma). Class II costs 10 karma, and you get a +5 karma balance (+/- 1). Class III costs 15 karma and you get a +10 karma balance (+/-1). All require at least one negative SURGE quality.

* All number subject to intense playtesting and character creation burns.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-14-16/1136:16> »
shapeshifters would be from 35 to 60ish.

Unless they're adding regen back to shifters they're pretty much a break even prospect.  Uneducated is brutal, Magic cap of 5 is rough for someone that can't have bioware/cyberware.  Mechanically a shifter is a human with a lower Edge, Magic, Uneducated, a couple enhanced senses and the ability to cast a single spell (shapechange) without drain, and have very conditional access to bioware/cyberware.

Seriously, build a regular adept.  Then tack on "Shifter" for free.  Tell me it was an improvement.  Just sayin'.   

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #12 on: <01-14-16/1227:17> »
Honestly, I was just going from the costs in charGen. I'm not really experienced in making characters outside of the basic five metatypes. I am most likely wrong. :)

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <01-14-16/1343:14> »
Shapeshifter table is off one column.  The 4 and 5 rating caps are for Edge (although the writeup says all of them top at 4) and the 1 that all of them have is for starting Magic if not Awakened.  I'm pretty sure it can go to 6+ Initiate Grade.

As an aside, I don't think there are separate mental attributes either.  Only mentions you do the Physical ones separate (by building it off the shifter side, use that many points for the metahuman, and track separately after play).

As to augmentations...  It was mentioned by Patrick (HMHVV guru) that because they had it in previous editions, Infected could still get augmentations.  Going with this logic, in previous editions it said shifters could accept delta (because Regeneration) but they were suppressed in animal form.  I would assume that if shifters are no longer the werecreatures (no silver Allergy, no Regeneration, just magical animals) of legend, that rule would extend to all implants.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-14-16/1400:39> »
+1 to PJ for the  clarification. That makes that table make more sense.