NEWS

Drone Questions

• 151 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <12-21-15/1020:19> »
So, I've decided to put genuine questions that aren't necessarily Errata here, instead of the Rigger 5 Errata Thread.
This means I won't clutter up the Errata thread with questions that, as experience shows, won't necessarily be answered anyways.

So, here goes:

• Can we assume that anthropomorphic drones have the equivalent of cyberlimbs with regular upgrade capacity, or do they have sort of primitive arms?
    Aka, can we put upgrades in them.
  • If I exchange the drones piloting program, does it suddenly make the arms more agile, given that their Agility is based on Pilot?
    In case it does, what if I boost the arms agility and then upgrade the Pilot?
  • If Anthro-Drones can go where a human can, I assume they are at least partially waterproof? As far as I can see, other drones normally aren't.
  • Is Smartsoft limited per drone or weapon?
  • Are the weapon mounts of Ares Duelists in Addition to their blades, or are those the blades? Do they have actual hands?
  • If using the swarm autosoft, do drones inherit the base stats of the best/worst in the swarm, or do outside influences factor in? Say, magic or resonance.
  • Can Drones mount a drone Rack?
  • If swarm uses the worst mobility of all partaking drones, I assume that means flying drones stay close to the ground if there's ground-moving drones present?
  • Can Drones mount additional Armour like a human can? I assume they aren't allowed to wear actual armour, though I dare ask "Why not?", but what I'm really getting at here is things like Riot shields. For their own good, not others.
  • Can drones use hardware modules from Datatrails (wired in)?
  • Does the Grade of Cyberlimbs make a difference when attached to a drone? Or is there only the "Attached to a drone" grade for drone limbs?
  • if I directly pilot a drone with cyberarms with integrated weapons, do the arms stats matter at all? What do I roll?
    Related: What rolls are made while using Gunnery jumped into a drone ? Gunnery + Logic ? Or + Agility ?
  • If a drone Swarm has multiple different weapon systems, which one is used? Players choice?[/i]
« Last Edit: <12-23-15/0749:29> by UnLimiTeD »
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-21-15/1036:57> »
- Since other drones can have them, I don't see why Anthros should not - but armor has no effect.
- I'd say Pilot is the natural customization limit everything above can't be used by the limited processing power, additional enhancement up to 3 on the other hand should be possible, since that presumably comes with its own processors to make use of the additional abilities.
- I don't think they are made to be submerged. Normal rain should be no problem
- Doesn't say, so you probably could get both or even say it affects only the smartlink itself and thus can be shared universally
- I'm pretty sure those are the special mounts for the swords and the drones don't have hands
- It says stats not base stats. Having a modified or pumped up drone should be legitimate if you want to improve the swarm.
- Probably, but why would you want to? Vehicles are so much better suited for this task
- Anthro drones can. It explicitly says they can wear clothing, so there is no real reason for them not to be armored (there is this awesome image on the last pages of Rigger 5 showing exactly that. Riot shields are also possible since there are two drones who have them as standard equipment
- They are devices - so yes. That 5th Ini dice or Virtual Machine module are a great addition. Likewise the self destruct module attached to one of that cheap, fragile drones...
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #2 on: <12-21-15/1055:12> »
  • Can we assume that anthropomorphic drones have the equivalent of cyberlimbs with regular upgrade capacity, or do they have sort of primitive arms?
    Aka, can we put upgrades in them.
I'm assuming so, but it's unclear.

• If I exchange the drones piloting program, does it suddenly make the arms more agile, given that their Agility is based on Pilot?
    In case it does, what if I boost the arms agility and then upgrade the Pilot?
I would rule No. You would need to get your arms and legs upgraded, although I'm not sure what it should cost because, if you just replaced the arms, they would be the same new price. I'd probably go with just 2500 nuyen per increased Agility. The second question wouldn't really change.

• Is Smartsoft limited per drone or weapon?
I'd go with by Drone, because it's "integrated into the sensors of a vehicle or drone" rather than into the implanted gun. This does mean that you have to get an almighty load of Smartsofts or specialize in a certain drone model.

• Are the weapon mounts of Ares Duelists in Addition to their blades, or are those the blades? Do they have actual hands?
I'm pretty sure that Ares Duelists have a sword mount instead of hands. And the integrated weapon mounts are that blade. If you want them to have guns or hands, you need to remove the integrated mounts.

• Can Drones mount additional Armour like a human can? I assume they aren't allowed to wear actual armour, though I dare ask "Why not?", but what I'm really getting at here is things like Riot shields. For their own good, not others.
Huh. I'd actually allow a Riot Shield definitely. Now that I think about it, drone armor is more analogous to dermal plating, so I could see an Anthroform droid wearing a Sleeping Tiger suit and getting the armor. But that does not count for the "it bounces off" check, only for the Damage Resistance check.

• Can drones use hardware modules from Datatrails (wired in)?
Drones are devices, so I'd say yes.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-15/1152:20> »
there is this awesome image on the last pages of Rigger 5 showing exactly that.
I thought that were just duelists which are stylized to look like samurai?
Huh. I'd actually allow a Riot Shield definitely. Now that I think about it, drone armor is more analogous to dermal plating, so I could see an Anthroform droid wearing a Sleeping Tiger suit and getting the armor. But that does not count for the "it bounces off" check, only for the Damage Resistance check.
Oh, right, Drones have "sort of" hardened armour. I forgot about that. That would explain not being able to benefit from armoured clothing, if there is such a rule.
With Granite skin, it gives just the bonus hits, but drones don't have that. Still, a shield should work. Well, it might.

Also added an extra question.
Thanks for the discussion so far!
« Last Edit: <12-21-15/1557:19> by UnLimiTeD »

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-15/1442:08> »
  • Does the Grade of Cyberlimbs make a difference when attached to a drone? Or is there only the "Attached to a drone" grade for drone limbs?
It does not. The only Drone Limbs are standard Drone Limbs. It does weird things with math if not.

Although, I have to admit, after seeing the line that "Mod Points are like Essence," I was really surprised not to see fractional MP costs. I could see allowing people to use all grades on all modifications as a house rule and you just get fractional MP. So an Alpha-grade Standard Weapon Mount would be 3 * 0.8 = 2.4 MP and cost 1.2 * <EOF NUMBER UNKNOWN> nuyen and have 10F + 2 availability (12F).

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-15/1557:24> »
Since the limbs only cost half the normal amount I'd think they are already "drone grade" ware.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-15/1558:57> »
Well, I just wonder why the addons on those limbs then cost more then on, say, used limbs?
It's not like you have to watch holistic health.
Ok, I don't wonder, it's probably for gameplay and simplicity. But hey, never hurts to ask. (also one more question).
« Last Edit: <12-21-15/1605:38> by UnLimiTeD »

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-21-15/1840:34> »
Good answers from the previous posters. However, I could argue that those questions can have different answers, so you should expect table variation or GM approval.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-15/1849:47> »
Well, I'd prefer a definitive answer by Wakshaani, but we all have better things to do, especially around these days.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <12-21-15/2255:36> »
well its like the Modified Renraku Manservant-3 in stolen souls it has modified arms to carry people

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <12-22-15/0243:56> »
I'd really like this question answered:

"What rolls are made while using Gunnery jumped into a drone ? Gunnery + Logic ? Or + Agility ?"

I've seen many arguments for both. Was it ever officially answered?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-22-15/0315:32> »
Wakshaani wondered about that himself, given when controling an anthroform with arms you might not even use Gunnery, or use agility, but not your own.
In the basic case, I'd go strongly for logic, given it's not your own body; unless of course you use the drones AGI. *shrugs*
So yeah, sign me up.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-22-15/0641:07> »
in 4th edition it gunnery was always rolled with agility and reaction was always rolled with pilot regardless if you were jumped in or driving remotely

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <12-23-15/2244:16> »

heres a pic of some Ares Duelist to give context

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <12-24-15/0649:22> »
Maybe make that a little smaller. I did see that in the book, though.
That raised a followup queston I put into the Errata thread, namely if those arms can take Cyberware and give hitpoints, as we can more or less factor antrhoforms arms into their increased resilience, and that wouldn't be the case here.