NEWS

spirit as guard

• 52 Replies

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <01-12-18/1259:10> »
SunRunner, there is an important flaw in your example of me typing a single line 10,000 times so let me correct it for you.

I type your line 10,000 times. Then, without seeing my list you have to choose a line, from 1 to 10,000. We will go to that line and if that line contains an error, then I die, otherwise you do. Where are you getting your house now?

SunRunner

• Chummer
« Reply #46 on: <01-12-18/1347:16> »
You have shown me nothing, your being deliberately obtuse. You continually use how repetition of a task guarantees accuracy because they do it for a living, I showed you a simple example of how it does not to disprove your point. What you did in no way refuted my point, repeatedly conducting a task does not mean you have a zero error rate. You obviously dont want to consider any viewpoint but you own and everyone else who does not agree with you is wrong. We will have to settle for an agreeing to disagree on the topic.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <01-12-18/1418:57> »
I accept that even the simplest of task can be bungled on rare occassions. I also put forward that risking one's life that an opponent is having that occassion on any given specific day is stupid and that telling them to do it is bad advice. Furthermore it is bad storytelling.

Eta: I can't help but wonder if we took magic out of the equation how many people would argue for incompetence. If it was guarded by a human guard with gun drawn at all time would you all argue the guard is holding his gun pointed at himself? If it was watched by a spider, would you argue that he would forget where the alarm was?
« Last Edit: <01-12-18/1427:32> by ShadowcatX »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #48 on: <01-12-18/1437:08> »
No, we would argue that a seperate set of tricks could be used to distract the guard or spider from his job.

Fake an alert from their child's school, forge a clearance badge, disable the Spider's sensors, etc.

What we are saying, which you arguing AGAINST, is that no system or guard is fool proof.
« Last Edit: <01-12-18/1442:02> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <01-12-18/1600:49> »
No, we would argue that a seperate set of tricks could be used to distract the guard or spider from his job.

So it is only mages you think are utterly incompetent at their job. I suspected as much.

What we are saying, which you arguing AGAINST, is that no system or guard is fool proof.

Except I have never said that. I have argued against depending on the incompetence of others as a way to get through, specifically con and negotiation in this case, since the spirit is 1) astral, 2) bound to follow orders without a loop holes because it's summoner isn't an idiot.

Restraining the spirit, for example, would work fine.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #50 on: <01-12-18/1720:35> »
Wow. Just Wow.

I think I have a new entry for my "Moron" list....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <01-12-18/1917:43> »
let say i put a lvl 3 spirit in front of my door to guard it and give me a headsup if anyone opens the door or is otherwise intruding.

does any possibility exist that anyone is bypassing him without me noticing? if he get killed, i feel it. he is dual so he sees invisible enemys and looks trough camo, he only looks at one door, so sneaking should be impossible (at least open the door).

I'm gonna reiterate the wisdom of the advice that lots of things that could work against a metahuman doing the same job could also work against a spirit.

Concealment/Stealth (spirits are exactly as fallible at being sneaked by as a metahuman)
Fast Talking/Conning ("Hey I'm authorized!  No need to report my presence as an intrusion/of course your master "meant" for allowing ME through.."/Hey go back to master to doublecheck that he really did mean for you to keep ME out)
Being backdoor'd (Going into the room by way other than the guarded door.  You can almost always CUT your way thru a wall to force another way in, if it comes to that.  If there really is literally only the one way possible to get into the room, then you hardly need the expense of a spirit to make it hell to infiltrate)
Being evacuated (Granted, there are more environmental options to force a metahuman guard to vacate the guard station, but there are still ways for an inventive and well equipped shadowrunner to force a spirit to abandon its post)

That all being said, I have a problem with the premise in the OP.  That being a spirit makes a mandatory chokepoint pure hell to get through:

When it comes to Runners being forced to go thru a chokepoint and it being impossible to bypass said chokepoint, then it doesn't matter what kind of security is on the chokepoint.  Computerized sensors, Metahuman guards, or drones would all be equally effective as a spirit.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #52 on: <02-01-18/0955:48> »
I'm mostly with ShadowcatX.  I work for a big company.  There are "communities of practice" and "Center's of Excellence" and "Learning Organizations" and don't forget "Checklists"!.  I believe the spirit will follow the intent, if only because the letter has been refined to near-impervious.  If there is that kind of robust standard, the players can find a copy of the 'procedure'...maybe at sun-up and sun-down (or other times for bound spirits) when there is a 5 minute gap in coverage as the 2 page instructions are recited. 

STAINLESS STEEL DEVIL RAT.  Best name!  Those books were so much fun!  Thank you for the rush of nostalgia.  :)