NEWS

Does Sleeping Tiger Stack with Synergist Business Line Longcoat?

• 41 Replies

Rooks

• Omae
« on: <06-09-15/0252:33> »
as title 16 armor?

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #1 on: <06-09-15/0437:02> »
Crunch-wise yes, as they are both Vashon Island brands.  Fluff-wise it would be an... interesting fashion choice, since the Synergist longcoat is daytime business wear and the Sleeping Tiger is an evening fashion line.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <06-09-15/0508:12> »
Does the +3 mean you need a str of at least 2 or do custom fit negate that?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-09-15/0521:42> »
Yes, it stacks. Armor-wise anyway - I'm not the person to ask when it comes to style.

Rooks, the +3 counts as far as encumbrance is concerned (at least, last I read - there was some debate on this when it came out). You don't need STR3 to wear it though - it just triggers the armor encumbrance rules.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-09-15/0544:19> »
the Sleeping Tiger is an evening fashion line
That's a remarkably polite euphemism for such a crass twist on alternative fashion scenes, orxploitation and corporate wear.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-09-15/0610:05> »
Sleeping Tiger has Ruthenium Polymers. It can look like whatever you want, even and especially like the wall behind you.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-09-15/0616:58> »
You can colour it to whatever you want it to look like. It's still going to be definably Sleeping Tiger as long as you can be seen wearing it.

There's an important difference when the style, cut, materials, weave, etc -everything but the colour- are the relevant sticking point over whether or not a non-goblinoid wearing ST in the Ork Underground is likely to get beaten up. ;)

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-09-15/0628:22> »
over whether or not a non-goblinoid wearing ST in the Ork Underground is likely to get beaten up. ;)
Wait, this is a thing?

... Remind me not to buy ST.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-09-15/0643:30> »

Seeing as TPTB decided to not include anything in R&G on what it looks like, this is the most recent description we have. Some orks and trolls like it, but you're more likely to meet them inside a corporate enclave, arcology, or gated neighbourhood.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #9 on: <06-09-15/1318:44> »
the Sleeping Tiger is an evening fashion line
That's a remarkably polite euphemism for such a crass twist on alternative fashion scenes, orxploitation and corporate wear.

I'm British.  I'm a remarkably polite person.  ;)

Also, the description back in Cannon Companion was so difficult to take in I couldn't come up with a more descriptive term short of doing as you did and cut/pasting the original text.  It's no wonder that Sleeping Tiger has such a high armour value, just wearing it in public would be an invitation to get beaten up in the 2070s (and not just by Orks and Trolls).
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-09-15/2247:15> »
Sleeping Tiger has Ruthenium Polymers. It can look like whatever you want, even and especially like the wall behind you.
how is that different from Electrochromic clothing?

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-11-15/0101:51> »
how is that different from Electrochromic clothing?

Ruthenium Polymers is an active chameleon effect (Predator) where it gives a -Rating  (+0 Full, +1 Almost Full, +2 Half) to opponents Perception check. So the Rating 3 in a Sleeping Tiger suit gives a -2 to Opposed Perception Tests vs your Sneaking Tests. Electrochemical clothing makes your shirt Red or Blue. Not nearly the same thing... hence why one is readily available and dirt cheap while the other is 16F and super expensive!!!!

Prætus

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <06-21-15/1428:46> »
Yes, they can stack.  You have to deal with Armor Encumbrance if you lack sufficient strength for the +3 armor.  You can also stack the Synergist Long Coat with the Steampunk armor as well, if you were to go that route.

What kills me, though, is how Sleeping Tiger suddenly has Ruthenium Polymers.  Up until Run & Gun it was always just elctrochromic modification (simple color change, not active camouflage).  I don't know that it will ever be errata'd, but I house rule it more in line with the earlier edition descriptions, and, as such, drop the cost by ¥9,000 to compensate for the difference.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <06-22-15/0252:54> »
well to be fair
electrochromic modification

Electrochromic threads
can change color with voltage, letting you alter the color
of your clothing or display text, images, or patterns. This
is good for fashion, but great for vanishing into a crowd
if you need a quick costume change.

Ruthenium Polymers

The ruthenium polymers are
controlled by a sensor suite incorporated into the armor or clothing that
scans the surroundings and replicates images of the area at the proper
perspectives, helping the wearer blend in. The effectiveness is based
on the Rating of the sensor suite and the extent of the suit’s coverage

One just changes color the other scans surroundings

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-22-15/0431:13> »
That's the point. Sleeping Tiger - a (legal!) suit known for being able to change colors, costing less then Ruthenium PC R3, has the (forbidden!) camouflaging Ruthenium PC at R3 builtin. It makes no sense.

Even without RPC it's one of the best armors you can buy - more armor than an armor jacket  while appearing like an ordinary suit? Yes please! With the legal RPC on top, it's overpowered to the point where I don't get it because I feel it's too cheesy.