NEWS

Needing help with a character name

• 28 Replies

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #15 on: <04-10-15/0249:30> »
"Balisong" might fit, whether she carries one or not.

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <04-10-15/1156:44> »
I use the "Arrested Development" approach to street names. You take a well known quality about the character (like White Power Bill) or an embarrassing thing that happened to the character (like Dirty Ears Bill).

This approach has happened in real life, since I decided to briefly research this. Tony Accardo was known as "Joe Batter" for beating three guys with a baseball bat, and "The Big Tuna" for catching a huge tuna. He actually preferred the latter.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #17 on: <04-11-15/0706:35> »
Have their main fixer name them.

Ms. White.
Mr. Orange.
Ms. Blonde.
Mr. Pink.
Ms. Blue.
Mr. Brown.
No, you can't be Ms. Purple; she's on another job.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #18 on: <04-16-15/2105:56> »
I'm surprised no one suggested this, but here's where I usually go to either get names for NPCs or get inspiration for my own PCs real name and street name.
http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/name/#cyberpunk

Edit: Lookin' at Chaotic Shiny, I'd never seen this resource before but it's great, added to my toolbox.
« Last Edit: <04-16-15/2110:39> by Aryeonos »
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-17-15/1226:05> »
I'm the type that isn't content with my character unless I come up with a name that 'feels right' and/or has meaning to the background of the character. So, I with you on names can be tough!  :) I've also been around players that just rattle off a name and that works too.

Confession: I am terrible at character names. How terrible am I? I’ve had numerous Player Characters who are variations of my RL first name simply because the GM/other players got used to calling the character that because they didn’t have a name

You actually may be on to something with the variation of your RL first name if you play with the same people all the time. It's one of those quirks about your characters that the other players may enjoy. It makes you and your character unique - so if you can't come up with what you consider a good name - I'd say roll with what you always do!   ;D

Since your looking for suggestions, though, I'll toss out a few -- with corporate background, IMO having a real name from your past (even if you don't use it) would be good for backstory and character dev --- always nerve wracking when Johnson refers to you by your real name instead of your handle - as long as the GM doesn't over do it.

* Natasha King  - Handle -- Queen
* Jules Thomason - Handle -- Jewel
* Ariana Roxborough - Handle -- Celeritas/Celerity
* Ellie Cross - Handle -- Ms. X
* Dahlia Sato - Handle -- Blossom
* Persephone Allister - Handle -- Cora
* Astrid Eriksson - Handle -- Freyja or Valkyrie
* Suzuki Li - Handle -- Kuai or Jie

Deadborder

• Chummer
  • For love and free Thuds
« Reply #20 on: <04-18-15/0233:40> »
No name yet. Does have a character portrait though!

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <04-20-15/1543:14> »
I like the portrait!

Name - Scarlet - ( I'd go with Red, but you really don't want to be confused with someone else...)

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-20-15/2100:12> »
Leggo

PittsburghRPGA

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Catalyst Demo Team Field Agent #524
« Reply #23 on: <04-21-15/1308:48> »
If you want some interesting inspiration, I suggest googling Roller Derby Names.

Eric

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #24 on: <04-27-15/2349:03> »
I like blitz, personally.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #25 on: <05-15-15/2321:42> »
I'm of the opinion that you don't ever get to choose your street name.  The Street does, meaning your friends, your employers and even your enemies.  You might decide you want to have "Skullcrusher" as your handle, but after a few bad moves running from the 'Star, you get to be known as 'Trippy'.  You might like the name "Whisper".  But after some great one-skill shots with your sniper rifle, now the Street is calling you 'Reaper'.

Technically how it would work is that you'd start with a version of whatever name you presented to the team -- or just a title based on what you do (like "Sam" ,"Spells", "Rigs", et cetera -- always one syllable, easy to say), then when you get your first point of Street Cred, you get a Street Name to go with it.  If it's something you don't like?  Then it's on you to change it, and that means doing things to make people think differently of you.  So instead of using that sniper rifle, you get to sneak around and maybe pull off a few garrotings, and Trippy better start hoping his dice roll better.

This takes a number of runs to do -- I'd say double your current Street Cred -- and when you're done, you lose half your Street Cred, rounded up, minimum of one.  After all, you're not 'Trippy' anymore...
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

AtomicDog

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <05-17-15/1206:52> »
I am of the "Let the Streets Name You" mindset, like how often does one really get to choose their own nickname...

But you can start simple, and see where it goes from there.
So, you're a sam... but are you more shooty? of more hand to hand?
Shooty:
-Trigger (with a one syllable name) Mike, Dan, Tom, Liz, Stace, Sue
-Scatter (for a shotgun user) (with a short name)
-Longshot
-Boomboom (grenade launcher or rocket launcher user)

Hand to Hand:
-Blade
-Clubber (with a short name)

I had an Ork Sam named Buster Chopps; he was supposed to be a hand to hand guy, with a couple of pistols for back up. He ended up double wielding those pistols into to every bad situation we hit. "The Streets" (aka, the gaming group) changed his name to Busta Capp.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #27 on: <05-17-15/2318:18> »
It's a good idea, and it DOES evolve, but like here, when you hit the street you can present yourself 'as otherwise'.  I don't give my real name; I'm the Wyrm Ouroboros, aka the Wyrm, aka 'TWO', and that's where most of my reputation is.  If the street renames you, though, I would disagree strongly that your street credit and notoriety won't follow you through the change; it isn't you that's presenting yourself as someone new, after all, but the street.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Deadborder

• Chummer
  • For love and free Thuds
« Reply #28 on: <05-19-15/1959:53> »
I find it amusing that the thread is ongoing well after the character is named And has been live in a couple of sessions. Thanks for the help though!