NEWS

In Debt Question

• 24 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <03-05-15/0043:43> »
The language on this is super murky. Does this mean that if I take In Debt I can no longer use 1 karma for 2,000 nuyen? For instance, I take 3 points of in debt, but cant buy more because I'm maxed out on negative qualities. Can I then buy 2,000 nuyen for 1 karma, or does this negative quality prevent me from doing that?

IN DEBT
BONUS: 1 TO 15 KARMA
Whether it came betting the ponies or buying that new
pony, the character owes money to an unsavory third
party. The player and gamemaster must work out the
details, but the happy thing is, for every point of Karma
(up to 15) spent to be In Debt, the character gets 5,000
nuyen to spend during character creation. These points
are spent in place of the normal Karma for extra cash

and extend the possible additional funds to 75,000¥.
Now it’s time for the bad news. The character now
owes some nasty people the amount they borrowed,
plus another fifty percent, and the amount increases
by ten percent every month until it’s paid off. If the
character misses a monthly payment, which has to be
at least the interest for the month, they take 1 box of
Physical damage for every 20,000 nuyen they owe. This
can’t be resisted and can’t be healed until they pay their
minimum as their friendly neighborhood lender sent the
appropriate message and then leans on them until they
get their money. They can also expect to be asked to do
some discount work and maybe even a few favors while
they have the debt hanging over their head.
The quality can be bought off if the character has both
enough Karma and cash to pay the debt. If they only have
the cash but not the Karma, they can trade for another
negative quality of equal Karma. If they don’t want to do
that, then the lenders suddenly become scarce, and the
character is unable to make the payment until interest
compounds again, leaving them deeper in debt.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-15/0046:51> »
Seems pretty clear to me. 

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-05-15/0055:34> »
Yet this thread exists.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <03-05-15/0101:10> »
The negative quality prevents you from doing it. Yes, you read the text correctly. Unless your GM rules it differently, that is most certainly RAW. Seems like it would be RAI to me too, so that you cannot have 95,000 additional funds (not that it would matter, you couldn't pay the thing off if you tried).

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-15/0123:50> »
Yet this thread exists.

The existence of a thing does not implicitly give the thing merit.

I'm not saying your question isn't valid, I'm just pointing out that your statement means almost nothing.  Anyway, yes you are reading the quality correctly.  Once you take the quality, you no longer buy nuyen at a rate of 1 karma to 2,000¥.  Instead, you purchase nuyen at a rate of 1 karma per 5,000¥.  Each point of karma spent in this way goes toward the overall loan that you get as part of the quality.  So while a character without the quality has to spend 5 karma to get 10,000¥ at character generation, someone taking that money as part of a debt only has to spend 2 karma.

The tradeoff is, naturally, repaying the debt.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-15/0136:01> »
Seems as if I read it differently or my mind somehow can't follow you.

He wants to have In Debt 3, which gives him 3 karma and already adds 15,000 ¥ to his resources, because the quality talks about extending the possible additional funds to 75,000¥. He must be able to normally spend karma at the 1:2,000 ¥ ration, because otherwise those funds couldn't be in addition, since Point Buy or Life Modules doesn't have any base money to start with.

So taking In Debt X does the following:
You gain X karma
You gain X*5,000 ¥
You need to pay the money back +interest and then trade the quality for another or pay karma to get rid of it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-05-15/0139:45> »
"Additional Funds" in this case are funds that you are buying with karma, which aren't added by default with the Resource priority choice made.

Normally you buy additional funds at a rate of 1 karma : 2,000¥, and you have a cap of spending 15 karma (30,000¥).  With the In Debt quality, you change your ratio from 1:2,000 to 1:5,000.  This means you cap out at 75,000¥ for 15 karma spent.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-05-15/0155:49> »
Yet this thread exists.

The existence of a thing does not implicitly give the thing merit.

Kinda like one person knowing a thing doesn't mean others will?

Thanks for the answers! ;D

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-05-15/0225:29> »
So how does that work with karma buy and life modules where the only way to get funds is to spend karma at 1 for 2,000?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-05-15/0300:54> »

LOL yeah pretty much.  :)

So how does that work with karma buy and life modules where the only way to get funds is to spend karma at 1 for 2,000?

I would probably remove the limit and call it a day.  I've never really delved into those two systems too much (I find life modules interesting, but not the karma buy) - is there a limit on karma spent on nuyen in those two systems?  I don't think there is, so I'd just remove the limit on In Debt.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/0302:53> by Namikaze »

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-05-15/0320:27> »

LOL yeah pretty much.  :)

There's a 200 karma (400000nuyen) limit in both Karma and Life Modules.

I would probably remove the limit and call it a day.  I've never really delved into those two systems too much (I find life modules interesting, but not the karma buy) - is there a limit on karma spent on nuyen in those two systems?  I don't think there is, so I'd just remove the limit on In Debt.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-05-15/0336:43> »
As gradivus said you can spend up to 200 karma for 400,000 yen so 5k for the karma penalty isn't so good an addition but if you use it that would seem to cut out the whole 200k spending limt and droping you to just what you took out as your loan.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-05-15/0413:56> »
You could look at it this way...
Let's say you take In Debt (14) which gives you 70k
Buying it with Karma would have been 36 Karma...
so that's 21 extra karma now...
I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

On the other hand, in the Priority system or Sum to !0 with E resources, this might be useful.
Though I wouldn't go bonkers with it myself.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-05-15/0439:46> »
Those show us that the OP is right in asserting the bad quality of the rules text of the quality.

for every point of Karma (up to 15) spent to be In Debt, the character gets 5,000 nuyen to spend during character creation.
You don't spend points to be In Debt, you gain them, because that's what negative qualities do, you get karma for choosing them.

If those up to 15 points of karma where meant to be spent to gain the promised 5,000 ¥ per point they could have put depending on the level of the quality in those brackets or even put a clarifying sentence behind telling you that in addition to choosing the quality you also have to buy resources at the given ratio.
The point at which this interpretation clearly falls apart is the following:
You could have the quality at a certain level X, but unless you also buy resources for those 5,000 ¥ per karma you'd have a quasi-free negative quality. Because then you wouldn't owe any money, meaning no interest to pay and no bruisers to beat you down.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-05-15/0507:21> »
SR5 p. 95 Starting Nuyen
No more than 5,000 nuyen (or less) of any unspent money from the founds available for character creation carries over to game play.