NEWS

BTL questions

• 20 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« on: <02-27-15/1526:24> »
Does one HAVE to have a hot sim modded commlink to view one?
Or can you JUST watch and listen to it with a regular commlink, just not feel the emotions and sensations and all?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-27-15/1614:12> »
The Hot-Sim of a BTL is actually built into the chip itself.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-27-15/1616:54> »
Can it be turned off?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-27-15/1640:57> »
Hmmm, OK easiest thing will be to post the section on BTL chips.

Quote from: SR5CRB P413
BTL Chips
Better-Than-Life chips are still enormously popular in spite of omnipresent wireless technology. Some dealers prefer a hands-on approach with their customers, and many BTL users are poor or just set in their ways. There are two playback formats. Dreamdeck chips require an old-fashioned simsense deck or module that has been modified with hot-sim to accommodate the higher-intensity BTL signal. The other format is the direct-input chip, which contains all the needed electronics to play it back when slotted into a skilljack or datajack. Both formats are designed to auto-erase themselves after a single use, so that the customer has to keep coming back for more. This one-shot, self-erasing feature can be bypassed with a Hardware + Logic (10, 1 hour) Extended Test.

Could it be possible to tone down a BTL? Maybe... but then it would cease to be a BTL and be just a basic simsense recording.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <02-27-15/1648:40> »
Clarification.

Yes, you need to have a hot-sim-enabled commlink in order to experience the hot-sim-level programming of a BTL chip.  You can indeed run the chip on cold sim, and experience the sensations and emotions on the safe, 'bland' levels; those controls are on the commlink.  While it is possible to have optional programming on the chip enabling hot/cold sim selection, since it's always going to be on the commlink, that optional programming isn't generally going to be found on the chip itself; programmers are simply going to turn it up to 11 and leave it there.  In regards to the commlink, since hot sim is technically illegal, you can't buy it ... but it's generally been considered a relatively cheap and easy mod, and one that's always set up with an on/off switch.

Now, since BTLs are hot-sim, and BTL dealers want you to buy again, most BTL chips have a 'counter' that gradually turns down the level of sensation, enticing you to buy a new chip to get that great better-than-life 'high'.  Running the chip on cold sim is still going to run the counter down, so you're blowing money (as it were) on sim sensations you aren't getting.  But you can indeed run the chip on cold sim.  As a note, you will experience the emotions and sensations encoded on the chip - it's a simsense chip, after all - but you won't experience it at the ultra-high, addictive BTL-experience levels that the chip is instructing your (hot-sim) machine to channel into your brain.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-15/2149:04> »
Clarification.

Yes, you need to have a hot-sim-enabled commlink in order to experience the hot-sim-level programming of a BTL chip.  You can indeed run the chip on cold sim, and experience the sensations and emotions on the safe, 'bland' levels; those controls are on the commlink.  While it is possible to have optional programming on the chip enabling hot/cold sim selection, since it's always going to be on the commlink, that optional programming isn't generally going to be found on the chip itself; programmers are simply going to turn it up to 11 and leave it there.  In regards to the commlink, since hot sim is technically illegal, you can't buy it ... but it's generally been considered a relatively cheap and easy mod, and one that's always set up with an on/off switch.

Now, since BTLs are hot-sim, and BTL dealers want you to buy again, most BTL chips have a 'counter' that gradually turns down the level of sensation, enticing you to buy a new chip to get that great better-than-life 'high'.  Running the chip on cold sim is still going to run the counter down, so you're blowing money (as it were) on sim sensations you aren't getting.  But you can indeed run the chip on cold sim.  As a note, you will experience the emotions and sensations encoded on the chip - it's a simsense chip, after all - but you won't experience it at the ultra-high, addictive BTL-experience levels that the chip is instructing your (hot-sim) machine to channel into your brain.

Thank you. This is what I was hoping.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <02-28-15/0042:36> »
Just as a note, since I assume this is for Tabula Rasa, the simchip was homemade. I doubt it has one of those counters that Wyrm mentioned. Although, that doesn't really matter if you run cold-sim anyway.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-28-15/0149:45> »
Just as a note, since I assume this is for Tabula Rasa, the simchip was homemade. I doubt it has one of those counters that Wyrm mentioned. Although, that doesn't really matter if you run cold-sim anyway.

It is indeed Tabula Rasalated in nature, and since Sam sun even HAVE a hot sim mod on his commlink...
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-02-15/0131:26> »
Wyrm, what do you mean by "counter"? BTL-chips erase themselves after use, so where would they store the necessary data? They are already built to encourage new purchases by being consumed on usage.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-02-15/0200:09> »
You're going by the (very) limited information given in the 5e book.  I'm going by information in prior editions, including stuff that can still be used with minimal complications.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-02-15/0418:11> »
SR4A has the same text for self-erasing BTL-chips and one-time-use BTL-downloads that SR5 Core uses along with the same Hardware test (identical threshold and time interval) to bypass the erasing for chips. But bypassing that feature doesn't claim to put your "counter" into play.
So care to indulge a N00b that doesn't play Shadowrun since First Edition?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-02-15/0914:02> »
Interesting; you're going only by the main texts.  In any case.  I might indulge, if you actually asked a question.  Since you don't, I'll direct you to Sim Dreams & Nightmares (4E) and ... I think the 3e version is in the cybernetics book, but I don't remember exactly.  I'm sure Crimsondude will know for certain.  Or is it CanRay?  I can never track right ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-03-15/1454:53> »
Bit off topic but still related to BTL
Watch Strange Days http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114558/

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-03-15/1705:18> »
Interesting; you're going only by the main texts.  In any case.  I might indulge, if you actually asked a question.  Since you don't, I'll direct you to Sim Dreams & Nightmares (4E) and ... I think the 3e version is in the cybernetics book, but I don't remember exactly.  I'm sure Crimsondude will know for certain.  Or is it CanRay?  I can never track right ...

No need to get snarky mate, some of us here are only coming in from 5th Edition and have never read any of the previous material.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-11-15/0900:42> »
Lucean clearly was not, and he's the one I was responding immediately and directly to.
Pananagutan & End/Line