NEWS

VITAS

• 23 Replies

Ogrebear

• Newb
« on: <02-05-15/1855:13> »
Looking into VITAS, I was struck by the odd way it was handled- an epidemic virus strikes the world in 2010, causing govt collapse, panic etc- in short a Zombie Apocalypse style event with over 2 Billion dead, but it seems to vanish again quite quickly in 2011. Where did the cures come from? Did the UN just sweep in somehow?

How did the Western Powers survive? Given the panic we have seen over Ebola and the tiny number of dead that has caused I would imagine that something like VITAS which killed so many so quickly would almost cripple the US, UK etc as people panicked. I don't recall martial law or other such emergency powers being used?

Also VITAS seems downplayed in the history- almost a footnote, but I can see it being 'the event' that really drives home Extraterritoriality, and the realty of the 'Megas as countries' as employees turn to their Corp for shelter, and the fact they can kill anyone trying to get in.

Thoughts please?

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-15/1920:40> »
Apparently VITAS wasn't particularly difficult to heal as they already had vaccines in 2011, not even one year after the initial infection.
That would be the reason why I'd guess it didn't cause a panic. You can control the media to downplay such a situation.

"Another local outbreak of VITAS claimed at least 2 million victims this morning in Africa and South America and yet there is still not enough money to supply the needy people in these regions
with the necessary medications. Experts say there is no risk for the US, though if you experience one of the symptoms you should go to a doctor soon: ... . This was Ms. Blah and now Mr. Bloh with the weather."

It's only danger is that it spreads extremely fast and thus hit areas with bad medical supplies / hygiene really bad.

It's also said that vaccines were deliberately held back to weaken tactical valuable targets.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-15/1925:26> »
While I can't remember for sure, I'd assume the first wave of VITAS wasn't cured just by, you know, a cure.  It killed off a sizable fraction of the world's human population in a very short amount of time, while leaving the people who were resistant.  Basically, it probably would have killed itself off by slaughtering viable hosts faster than it could infect them.  This is one of the biggest issues with biological warfare, actually; you have to balance mortality, contagiousness and a number of other factors (incubation time, symptoms, etc.). 

They probably survived by implementing martial law and other methods of control while the chaos was all around them, and then put the pieces back together after.  As the reconstruction efforts moved on, I bet the megacorporations and their predecessors were snapping up every opportunity to get money and concessions out of the world's governments.  Keep in mind, a lot of nations still fell apart later on, and I would bet my britches that VITAS was a factor, even decades after.  Would the NAN have been so successful if such a disaster hadn't weakened the States?  Would Japan have had the motivation to go back to their Imperialistic roots without such a disaster bringing a need for the past back?  A lot of factors come to mind. 

I wouldn't say VITAS is played down all that much, at least in comparison to other epidemics and pandemics that took place in the past.  I mean, folks barely remember typhoid epidemics, the Spanish Flu, polio, smallpox and even the Black Death is generally a paragraph or two unless you're researching more thoroughly.  People tend to forget that kind of thing, excepting the ones who lived through it. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-15/1927:26> »
While I can't remember for sure, I'd assume the first wave of VITAS wasn't cured just by, you know, a cure.  It killed off a sizable fraction of the world's human population in a very short amount of time, while leaving the people who were resistant.  Basically, it probably would have killed itself off by slaughtering viable hosts faster than it could infect them.  This is one of the biggest issues with biological warfare, actually; you have to balance mortality, contagiousness and a number of other factors (incubation time, symptoms, etc.). 

Play Plague Inc. and you'll learn about that ;)

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-15/1946:25> »
Another reason VITAS could be downplayed a bit is well... the Awakening Happened and everything that entails.

2010-2011: VITAS!!! 
2012: OMFGDRAGONS.
2015: Exploding Volcanoes!
2021: WAAAAAUUUGH!!
2022: Waaugh brings vitas 2?  OMG

And so on. 

Even so the death toll *WAS* horrific ( some 20% world population mortality discounting Africa).  Mexico City burned down as did Calcutta in riotous response.  That said I'd imagine a signicant number wiped out people in more Rural areas where disease control and the medical facilities are lacking especially given few people are expected to survive past 24 hours without expert assistance.

And honestly, not all Western governments survived.  Mexico dissolved in the wake of VITAS and the Awakening.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/2010  Shadowrun wiki does have a decent overview of events though if you're interested.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-15/2225:51> »
Here's the thing: the CDC went apeshit over VITAS, ten or a hundred times more psychotic than over the bird flu from a few years ago.  (My wife was on the emergency internet site team for that, so I got a thirdhand-inside-look, so to speak.)  Did they go after a cure?  Well, viruses can't be cured, but they can be immunized against, boosters to the body can be applied, etc. etc.  Anyhow, the kicker here is that the immunization shots went out, worldwide - but they went out to governments and people in positions of power.  In the places where VITAS hit hardest, it wasn't that the immunization shots weren't shipped there - it's that the people who got them either a) hoarded them for their own people, letting their rivals die, or b) sold them to the highest bidder(s) and made as much money off them as they could before they skipped town.

In short, except maybe for India where it started, human nature (greed and hate) killed millions of people - it's just that VITAS was the weapon of choice instead of guns.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-06-15/0401:15> »
In the same wiki in the year 2023 (http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/2023) they talk about VITAS2 serum.  So probably the 'cure' for VITAS is simply to take blood from those who survived the disease, isolate the serum with the antibodies and inject that into other patients.  They did the same with some of the ebola patients last year.  It's a very effective method, although it doesn't grant immunity to the disease (your body doesn't make memory B-cells) and you can't make the serum in large quantities, as it has to be extracted from survivors and not everybody is suited as a donor.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-06-15/0523:05> »
Where did the cures come from?
Depending on how canon you consider Chrom & Dioxin, the Swiss GENOM Corp allegedly played a major role.

Otherwise, from the same place the replacement population came from, FASAnomics ;)

LordGrizzle

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-06-15/0637:34> »
Where did the cures come from?
Depending on how canon you consider Chrom & Dioxin, the Swiss GENOM Corp allegedly played a major role.

Otherwise, from the same place the replacement population came from, FASAnomics ;)

I don't exactlz where I read that but I once read that modern cures like magic and yeta/interferon are very effective against VITAS (It's used against the local outbreaks that still occur in 2070)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-15/1031:40> »
Magic does work on VITAS, which is pretty much the only reason Africa survived as it did; places like Lagos had a near to complete 100% mortality rate, but others had their tribal healers discover effective healing magic and start using it to cure their people. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-06-15/2221:47> »
Only for VITAS II.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Ogrebear

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-25-15/0921:57> »
I was wondering how they cured it so quickly, globally in under a year - pre-warning? Was it manufactured in the first place so XX corp had the cure waiting and it just needed distribution?

If VITAS had been longer would we have been looking at a zombie apocalypse type scenario? Major WWZ type Great Panic? Could that have been the catalyst for the Indian roundup, Balkanisation, Corp Extraterritoriality and the 'we love the Corp' mentality in SR?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-15/1055:26> »
I was wondering how they cured it so quickly, globally in under a year - pre-warning? Was it manufactured in the first place so XX corp had the cure waiting and it just needed distribution?

If VITAS had been longer would we have been looking at a zombie apocalypse type scenario? Major WWZ type Great Panic? Could that have been the catalyst for the Indian roundup, Balkanisation, Corp Extraterritoriality and the 'we love the Corp' mentality in SR?

I'm still pretty sure the disease wiped out the people who were most susceptible and slowed down in time for the 'cure', and if I remember right the cure was a pre-existing drug (that had to be mass-produced). 

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-27-15/1637:13> »
If you have a disease that's killing 90% of the people who contract it, and it's spreading like, well, the plague, and your cure - which isn't literally a cure, but an inoculation, because we still after all cannot actually cure any viral infection - triggers the disease in 5% of the people who receive it, you can either go with losing 4.5% of your population or 90%.  All the places that are most likely to have it spread like wildfire (highly mobile, requiring highly industrialized, societies) are the ones who are most likely to be able to generate the inoculation.  Generating an inoculation is really a relatively easy thing; you start with someone who's survived the disease to acquire antibodies, and go from there.  They do this with multiple flu variants every year, with lead times of 3-6 months or less.

Functionally, VITAS I wasn't cured; it burned out.  Effectively, the same thing happened with VITAS II.  At the level at which industrial societies are, however, inoculation production can swing into effect pretty damn fast, which means you can form 'firebreaks' of inoculated people against an outbreak pretty quickly.  But the idea that industrialized nations can't generate these things without knowing ahead of time is excellent conspiracy fodder, which means there's plenty of people out there who mutter in corners about corporations planning the whole thing.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-28-15/0106:52> »
There are also other methods to treat a viral infection after the person is infected. They are generally termed Anti-viral Agents/drugs. So the impact of VITAS 1 & 2 may have been stymied into burning themselves out, giving the doctors and scientists time to develop inoculations.