NEWS

Initiation and free metamagic

• 64 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #30 on: <02-01-15/1132:11> »
Giabraltar is the one who wrote the section, and he can probably shed more light on this than anyone else.  But in speaking with him, it seemed like he never intended any adept to have access to the Arts.  I mean, why bother creating a Magician's Way if an adept could get access to the Arts anyway?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #31 on: <02-01-15/1259:25> »
This thread only reminds me how badly S.G. needs a full errata. There is a reason I don't use much out of it. And trying to read the Art and spirit stuff drove me nuts. Plus, is there not examples of adepts doing high arts, like summoning greater spirits and similar stuff via rituals?

Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #32 on: <02-01-15/2200:47> »
Because there are a large number of Arts that an adept cannot access as standard - and that includes mystic adepts.  Q.E.D.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <02-01-15/2253:42> »
Plus, is there not examples of adepts doing high arts, like summoning greater spirits and similar stuff via rituals?

You'd have to provide examples of this, because I can't recall any.

Because there are a large number of Arts that an adept cannot access as standard - and that includes mystic adepts.  Q.E.D.

Regular adepts aren't able to use most of the Arts because they don't have access to the necessary skills and abilities.  But mystic adepts have access to spellcasting, summoning, enchanting, and all the abilities that go with it.  So what Arts can a mystic adept not normally access without the Magician's Way?

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <02-02-15/0049:10> »
I've had the discussion with Namikaze and a few others on this subject and have been working on an index that I missed writing earlier.  I also noted that I missed Sensing and Diving as available to Adepts (in previous books). These have the * at the end for Metamagics (MM) and Rituals under the Undecided Way as they weren't in Street Grimoire. Attached is a word document that has the Metamagic, Rituals, and Enhancements listed along with the Skill needed or Adept power enhanced for both the Arts and Ways.
Magician's  Way I originally interpreted as Old School magic pre-awakening; that people had real physical talents to give the illusion of magic. This would give Adepts and Mystic Adepts benefit for this Way. With the Quality as written, I think it's best to be interpreted below as such (Allowing Mystic Adepts access to Art Metamagics when initiating).

WAYS
UNDECIDED WAY

MM Adept Centering (*)
MM Efficient Ritual (*)
MM Flexible Signature (*)
MM Flux(*)
MM Infusion Requires Adept Centering
MM Improved Extended Masking (*)
MM Masking (*)
MM Qi Sculpt (*) Requires Adept Centering
MM Power Point
MM Danger Sense (Perception)*
MM Sensing (Perception)*

Attune [Animal] (Animal Handling)
Attune [Item] (Specific Technical Skill)
Calling [Spirit Type] (Arcana)
Empower (Animal Handling)
Group Bond (Artisan)
Imbue (specific technical skill)
Augury (Arcana)*
Astral Doppleganger (Assensing)*
Kything (Arcana)*
Spirit Pact (Arcana)* - Any Free Spirit can perform Spirit pact with any Metahuman (SG p.137)

ATHLETE’S WAY
MM Supernatural Prowess(*)
Air Walking (Light Body)

ARTIST’S WAY
Pied Piper (Performance)
Skin Artist (Melanin Control)

THE BEAST’S WAY
MM Apex Predator(*)
Claws (Keratin Control)
Totem Form (Arcana) Requires Attune Animal

THE BURN OUT WAY
Hot Qi (Living Focus)

THE INVISIBLE WAY
MM Stillness in the void(*)
Shadow Touch (Traceless Walk)

THE MAGICIAN’S WAY
*Note Allows Mystic Adepts access to Art Metamagics not listed in Ways when initiating
Digital Celerity (Nimble Fingers)
Master of the Nine Chakras (Nerve Strike)

THE SPIRITUAL WAY
MM Exorcism (*)
MM Domain of the Spiritual (Background Count)
MM Psychometry (Assensing)

THE SPEAKER’S WAY
MM Fae Touched (*)
MM Presence (1 Social Skill)
Silver-Tongue Devil (Commanding Voice)

THE WARRIOR’S WAY
MM Domain of the Warrior (Background Count)
Barrage (Missile Mastery)
Master Of Taijiquan (Counter Strike)
« Last Edit: <02-02-15/0933:07> by Giabralter »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <02-02-15/0100:32> »
+10000000000000 internet points!

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #36 on: <02-02-15/0107:45> »
Plus, is there not examples of adepts doing high arts, like summoning greater spirits and similar stuff via rituals?

You'd have to provide examples of this, because I can't recall any.

I can look, most likely Calling actually. I will hunt it up this coming after noon.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <02-02-15/0157:28> »
Thanks for the list, much appreciated.
But I do have to ask, why Imbue Item is a Metamagic for adepts while being listed as a ritual and why you further deviated from the example in the book, linking Imbue Item to aspecific technical skill and requiring now Arcana?

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <02-02-15/0936:02> »
You're right. I'll correct the word doc. 

Max Mustermann

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <03-10-15/1112:07> »
Hi to all,

where can i find the "word doc"?

best regards Max
Please remeber, i'm not a native, due to this my english will be ... not really good ;-)

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <03-10-15/1402:55> »
I would also like to know what metamagics a mystic adept doesn't have access to, and why they don't have access to them. (Other than those from ways they do not possess, of course.)

Wait, do mystic adepts have to join the magician's way to avoid being limited to just adept metamagics? Ie. If I wanted MM Danger Sense for my mystic adept does he have to take the magician's way first?

Hi to all,

where can i find the "word doc"?

best regards Max

The word doc is an attachment to Giabralter's post. It is a small link at the bottom of the post.
« Last Edit: <03-10-15/1407:26> by ShadowcatX »

Max Mustermann

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <03-11-15/1605:14> »
Hi to all,

thx for quick answer.

Best regard Max
Please remeber, i'm not a native, due to this my english will be ... not really good ;-)

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #42 on: <03-13-15/1729:51> »
I'm feeling a bit confused here.
Is this saying that Mystic Adepts can't use the basic Meta Magics from CRB that Mages get? 
  (IE. Centering, Fixation, Quickening, Spell Shaping, & Shielding?)
I thought those were available to a Mystic regardless of any Way/Art that they do or do not choose.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <03-13-15/1736:38> »
I'm feeling a bit confused here.
Is this saying that Mystic Adepts can't use the basic Meta Magics from CRB that Mages get? 
  (IE. Centering, Fixation, Quickening, Spell Shaping, & Shielding?)
I thought those were available to a Mystic regardless of any Way/Art that they do or do not choose.

A mystic adept with no Way can only take metamagics an adept with no Way can take.
A mystic adept with a Way other than Magicians can in addition take the metamagics of that Way.
A mystic adept with the Magician's Way can take metamagics restricted to magicians.

The last sentence is why mystic adepts almost always take the Magician's Way eventually.
« Last Edit: <03-13-15/1738:12> by gradivus »
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <03-13-15/1737:35> »

Yes.  A mystic adept is still an adept, and is never a mage.  To take mage-specific metamagics, they need to be following the Magician's Way.