NEWS

Old fashioned smartlink's capacity?

• 9 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <12-30-14/0241:18> »
Hoi chummers!
Went through "2050" book, but couldn't find the answer. An old fashioned smartlink, the kind that houses the computer in your body and uses an induction pad implanted it the hand. Now, my question is - how much cyberlimb capacity would it take to put something like that in a cyberarm?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <12-30-14/1157:55> »
Oh jeez.  I'd probably just say 1 point of capacity.  It's not that invasive with a cyberarm.  If it helps, there's a character in Patrick Goodman's series of stories (A Dark and Rainy Night and Sail Away, Sweet Sister) named Lydia Bowden that has just this kind of augmentation.  You'd have to go back and retroactively figure out the Essence and Capacity as they're not stated separately.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-30-14/1315:36> »
Personally, I was leaning towards 1, maybe two points myself, but wanted to run it by someone else. Thanks.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-30-14/1347:12> »
I'd run it higher than [1] or [2]. Take a look at the Bodywear and the Cyberweapons in 2050. For every 0.1 points of Essence (round up) you get [1] point of capacity. That Smartlink clocks in a 0.5 Essence, with that trend capacity would be [5].
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-14/1351:57> »
  I would rate it at [2]
(1 for the subdermal Inductionpad in the Palm and 1 for the cable that runs inside the cyberarm )

HougH!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-14/1615:18> »
I'd run it higher than [1] or [2]. Take a look at the Bodywear and the Cyberweapons in 2050. For every 0.1 points of Essence (round up) you get [1] point of capacity. That Smartlink clocks in a 0.5 Essence, with that trend capacity would be [5].

I don't know, smartlink sounds like an invasive piece of chrome (thus 0.5 of essence), but I think that size-wise it would be pretty small - implanted cell phone has the same essence cost, but if installed in cyberears it only takes 1 point of capacity (BTW, "point of capacity" is a little too long - isn't there any other name? Slots, maybe?).

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <12-30-14/1620:41> »

I don't know, smartlink sounds like an invasive piece of chrome (thus 0.5 of essence), but I think that size-wise it would be pretty small - implanted cell phone has the same essence cost, but if installed in cyberears it only takes 1 point of capacity (BTW, "point of capacity" is a little too long - isn't there any other name? Slots, maybe?).

Usually people just say it takes 1 Capacity (or whatever number it takes).

I would take it as the same as a Shock Hand (palm replacement/change) with a micro-computer in the arm (1 Capacity). So, 5 Capacity total.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-30-14/1654:19> »
Oh jeez.  I'd probably just say 1 point of capacity.  It's not that invasive with a cyberarm.  If it helps, there's a character in Patrick Goodman's series of stories (A Dark and Rainy Night and Sail Away, Sweet Sister) named Lydia Bowden that has just this kind of augmentation. You'd have to go back and retroactively figure out the Essence and Capacity as they're not stated separately.
I'm not sure if these are the same "vintage" tech systems. If I remember correctly, then this character's cyberware is from the 2060 era (Ares Predator III) and thus might be diffrent (e.g. smaller) than a 2050 smart system. The German "2050" edition - which is for SR5 - does not give stats for capacity used, however. It might be that the induction pad simply uses no space, as it is not spacious enough and on the surface, and the chips themselves are not positioned in the arm, but next to the brain.

Still leaves the cables though, which I would rate at capacity 1.
Liber et infractus

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-30-14/1706:48> »
I don't know, smartlink sounds like an invasive piece of chrome (thus 0.5 of essence), but I think that size-wise it would be pretty small - implanted cell phone has the same essence cost, but if installed in cyberears it only takes 1 point of capacity...

I saw the Eyeware and the Earware tables, and if you accounted for them they would throw the 0.1 = [1] ratio off. So I disregarded them. Mainly because of how much overlap you have within the cybereyes/eyeware and cyberears/earware table. The telephone and radio implants both need to pipe audio through the aural pathways into the brain, all of that gear can get ripped out of the Capacity version as the cyberear duplicates that need. Same with the mics for both implants, as the cyberear will have its own set of mics.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <01-02-15/2049:09> »
The smartlink consists of items in multiple locations; 3rd edition had a great breakdown, which is essentially this: the palm induction pad (0.1 Essence), the eye display (0.1 essence, which can be piped through a display link if you have one), a limited simsense rig (0.1 essence, so the system knows where the gun is and is pointed in relation to your eye), and the smartgun processor (0.2 essence).  Added together, this costs 0.5 essence.  When part of a cyberlimb, the total is reduced to 0.25 essence - as with eye/earware, sometimes the implant alone is going to cost a lot of essence, while as part of a replacement it's not going to have much impact.  In this case, the palm induction pad is part of the hand (-0.1 essence), the limited simsense rig is partially reduced (-0.05 essence) because it's being piggybacked on the 'where is my hand in relation to the rest of me' software required as part of the limb, and you also get a partial reduction in the smartgun processor (-0.1 essence), because some of that chipset is going to be part of the palm feed.

However, the 'space' required is pretty negligible; 0.5 ECU (equipment capacity units) for the thing, and if you want to get a second induction pad in your other hand (even though you can't by the rules use both at the same time) an induction pad takes up 0.25 ECU.

For reference:
ReplacementObviousSynthetic
Hand/Foot21
Full Arm105
Full Leg2010
Upper Arm63
Lower Arm42
Upper Leg126
Lower Leg84
Skull21
Torso73
Pananagutan & End/Line