NEWS

New Character Creation Systems and the "Freebies"

• 9 Replies

MisterNix

• Newb
« on: <12-20-14/1858:04> »
(dumb question)
So I was reading through the new system and I was starting to wonder: Do you still get the free Knowledge Skills & Contact points in all thee systems? It'd make sense that the answer is yes to both on Sum to 10, and the Life Pods explicitly says that it grants the free Contact points.  The Karma buy I'm kind of either way on though.

What say you chummers?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <12-20-14/1942:24> »
Its a Freebie, so to me that means Free in whatever method you choose.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <12-20-14/2309:23> »
I think you don't get the free Language/Knowledge points in Point Buy or Life Modules. I also don't think you get free Karma points for Contacts in Point Buy.

Don't know though.

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-14/0608:51> »
My big question is.. with Point Buy and Life Modules, what are the alterations to the points available and money for Street Scum and Prime Runner level builds

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-14/0629:09> »
You mean Street Level and Prime Runner. I did a search and they don't seem to be represented. Not that I mind, since the two are inherently flawed. As for Street Scum and High Life, those I wonder about... Not sure what would be good karmic levels to represent them. You can use Sum to 6/15 for them of course.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-14/2046:51> »
With Karma, you can always say 600 or 1000 base Karma, with a multiplier for Nuyen/Karma.
I'd say no on free knowledge skills, as the Life modules grant those in abundance. I mean, seriously. some give the equivalent of 18 points, and that's just a quarter of the "life".
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-22-14/0034:15> »
I'd say no on free knowledge skills, as the Life modules grant those in abundance. I mean, seriously. some give the equivalent of 18 points, and that's just a quarter of the "life".

In the Karma Generation, though, you'll stand a good chance of ending up with characters like I'm sure some would see before where there were no Knowledge Skills if one doesn't give the free Knowledge/Language points.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-08-15/1940:23> »
Well with Karma dontacts for karma Buy it directs you to P98 of the core book, and the first thing that mentions is getting Charisma x3 points for free.

Honestly something like this is would be SO much better to spend a sentence or two being explicit then just referencing.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

JTCMidas

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-08-15/2229:38> »
I just default to what the sample character does in the Life Modules section for that. No free knowledge skills and no free contacts.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-08-15/2250:17> »
I just default to what the sample character does in the Life Modules section for that. No free knowledge skills and no free contacts.

Life Modules give a lot of Knowledge skills throughout the process, so no big deal there. The problem comes in with the Karma Generation. Without the free pool of points for Knowledge Skills, there's a good probability of seeing characters that take none in favor of more immediately useful skills.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen