NEWS

So Run Faster is finally out...

• 103 Replies

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #30 on: <12-21-14/1844:54> »
It is listed as a  core rulebook so unless they make an exception it will be missions legal eventually.

Like Kincaid speculated, there's probably a whole host of things that will be marked as disallowed in Missions.  (See the Season 4 FAQ for a start, because a whole bunch of qualities were disallowed in Seasons 3 and 4 of Missions, and I speculate that most of that may stay the same.)  I have no idea how Bull will rule things, but I agree with Kincaid that probably a few other qualities will be disallowed because of the stated intention of having a low-power campaign (though at this point we probably have some 250-Karma characters roaming about).

Also remember we haven't seen the dead tree release, and none of it is Missions-legal until a month after that.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <12-21-14/1846:59> »
There's a Quality that lets you go first in Run Faster, I think, so high Initiative isn't super critical with most fights decided in the first two IPs.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #32 on: <12-21-14/1852:26> »
Yep, Adrenaline Surge is back.  I'm thinking of picking it up for my street sam, because she frequently has to choose between spending Edge to go first or not getting an action because the mages go first and kill everything before her first pass.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #33 on: <12-21-14/1857:07> »
I may get it, since I never did think of a thing to do with my Missions character. His skills are decent enough so the only things I had in mind were raising some high attributes, bringing up Edge from 5 to 7 (despite that technically being a karma-waste for not going 50k Edge 7 in chargen instead of 140k Edge 5) and Longarms from 6 to 8. Now if only I could convince a backup GM to take my place and let me play once, but they find the 1k~2k extra payment from loot AND 1k~3k extra from Negotiations too tempting compared to my measly GM Reward pay.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <12-22-14/0536:57> »
Now if only I could convince a backup GM to take my place and let me play once, but they find the 1k~2k extra payment from loot AND 1k~3k extra from Negotiations too tempting compared to my measly GM Reward pay.
Didn't I offer to do that last time?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <12-22-14/0715:59> »
Last times Eve was the backup gm, and Connie called dibs on the one in March. Maybe for one of London Falling in Spring.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

grid_tapper

« Reply #36 on: <12-22-14/1300:49> »
Damn I got to re do all my characters....*LOL*

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #37 on: <12-23-14/2217:01> »
I'm curious.

Is there a "standard" amount of karma used in the Karma Buy method?

Is Build Point still 100 like it was in SR2/3 IIRC ?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #38 on: <12-23-14/2247:17> »
Looking at the core archetypes, it looks like they are really pushing non-or lightly augmented characters as a viable option, so I don't see anything wrong with encouraging skill monkeys with high Attributes.  Plus, depending on the cash flow of the game, starting out without augmentations and picking (better) ones up later can be a viable tactic in some games.  Still, until then, you are playing Rick Deckard in a world where everyone else is Roy Batty.

Hmm...are they setting it up for the eventual cyberware book?

Mundanes do make sense in a Black Trench kind of way. No 'ware or magic to detect.

Not really. No agenda or "pushing" anything. I just wanted to make some new and (hopefully) interesting 'a-types' for players to play as-is or take inspiration from. I considered what classics people may want to see again, what new ideas I could toss out there, and what the new a-type could bring to a team that perhaps other a-types couldn't or didn't. And that brings me to another point: as for being a "Rick" in a world of "Roys", that's why runners are part of a team; a sum whole of their parts rather than lone wolves.

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <12-23-14/2337:54> »
I'm curious.

Is there a "standard" amount of karma used in the Karma Buy method?

Is Build Point still 100 like it was in SR2/3 IIRC ?

Point buy is actually karma buy.  BP went the way of the dodo unfortunately.  You get 800 karma for point buy and 750 to do the life module. 

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-25-14/2054:37> »
BP went the way of the dodo unfortunately. 
Ah, okay.  Thanks.
Not too sad, BP for 5th near as I can tell would have been just as Min/Max-y as Priority build only more so.
Karma, IMHO, is much more balanced & takes away from the dump stat trends.
But will likely leave you with smaller dice pools.

8-bit

« Reply #41 on: <12-25-14/2313:09> »
BP went the way of the dodo unfortunately. 
Ah, okay.  Thanks.
Not too sad, BP for 5th near as I can tell would have been just as Min/Max-y as Priority build only more so.
But will likely leave you with smaller dice pools.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Personally, I would have loved having 900-1000 Karma instead of 800, but it's still doable.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <12-25-14/2350:05> »

On the first point: Negative. All systems have the exact same potential on that end, as those who do so will do it no matter what system is used for generation.

On the second: Also untrue for the same reason. No only that, but Build Point was simply better for making a Troll to his strengths (which is obviously what is intended with what was done to Critical Strike in the current edition), and it is bar-none the easiest math system for creating a character without any sort of electronic aid (the old fashioned way, if you will, with just paper and pencil).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <12-26-14/2152:23> »
On the first point: Negative. All systems have the exact same potential on that end, as those who do so will do it no matter what system is used for generation.
Negative.
Priority & Old BP are more "Karma Efficient" by maxing stats at highest points (Attr or Skill) as each point costs the same.
Under the Karma system you pay for them all at "post" chargen costs & as such have to actually pay more for top end stats.

it is bar-none the easiest math system for creating a character without any sort of electronic aid (the old fashioned way, if you will, with just paper and pencil).
Negative.  Priority (or even Sum to 10) is easier math than Buy Point based as it removes that step.

SquirrelDude

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <12-26-14/2233:48> »
While certainly priority and build points make min-maxing easier than buying everything at character advancement prices, the need for min-maxing is determined far more by the expectations of the game system. If the game expects you to have a dice pool of at least 12 in your primary skills, then your attribute and skill will need to be 6 and 6 at character generation, regardless of building method.
"normal speech"
"under your breath"
thought
Astral
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
" translated foreign language" (Foreign Language)