NEWS

Switching Adept Ways

• 6 Replies

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-27-14/0950:31> »
Is it at all possible to go into one way, lets say invisible way, pick up the metamagics and then switch to another way keeping the previous metamagics?
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-27-14/0954:41> »
I don't see anything saying you can't, but it would be crazy pants to pay 20 karma at character generation, then 40 after generation, plus the costs of the initiations, just to pick up a few meta magics.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-27-14/0959:56> »
It's always 20 karma, the cost of ways is not doubled after character creation.
But I see it the same way, there seems nothing to prohibit it rules-wise. So it would be up for your GM to decide.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <11-27-14/1003:05> »
I find it very hard to believe that you can follow one Way, completely change you Way, and still be able to access the stuff you had before. About the only Way I know you can lose, is the Burnout Way, but there are specific rules for that one. Plus, you would have to lose powers and switch around discounts; that's a huge hassle and seems unfeasible. "I used to follow the Invisible Way, so I knew these powers, but now I follow the Speaker's Way, so I completely forgot how to use those powers and picked up whole new ones."

I don't know, I suppose it might be possible, but I really don't think so.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-27-14/1003:57> »
It's always 20 karma, the cost of ways is not doubled after character creation.
But I see it the same way, there seems nothing to prohibit it rules-wise. So it would be up for your GM to decide.

Yes it is doubled they are a positive quality and those cost double after generation. You could always house rule otherwise but RAW it costs double

SG P176
NEW ADEPT
QUALITIES: WAYS
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-27-14/1025:06> »
One of the Freelancers who worked on Street Grimoire has answered a bunch of questions about it, including this one:
Are Ways supposed to cost double after character creation?
They should be treated the same way as martial arts. Yes they are qualities, but the cost is the same after or during character creation. An adept is allowed to find his Way during the campaign.

As for switching: except for The Burnout's Way, I don't think there's any rules about losing a Way, so RAW it doesn't seem possible (except for Hot Qi).

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <11-28-14/1111:10> »
An adept should not be switching Ways at all - but if they do switch, understand that they are completely changing how they view their magic.  Follow the rules for the Way change if there are any, but they're going to lose their Way discount for their power purchases at the very least, and have to come up with those PP immediately, or lose some (or all) of those powers.

In regards to the enhancements and metamagics learned from that Way?  Yes, absolutely they should lose them.  An Athlete learns to Air Walk, learns Supernatural Prowess, because that is how they view their magic.  Changing their Way means removing the mindset from the adept, a mindset which is specifically required for the understanding and execution of those enhancements and metamagics.

Changing your Way means losing all that knowledge and experience.  You might recall enough to teach it to someone who still possesses that mindset, or at least give a direction, but you're not going to be able to use it yourself any more.  You changed your magic.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.