NEWS

Blast Shield Rules

• 23 Replies

8-bit

« on: <11-25-14/1811:38> »
What are the actual rules for the Blast Shield on page 104 of Run & Gun? Does it act as a Riot Shield for Armor purposes? When shield bashing, what DV does it use? It seems like a cool idea, to have a shield that you can carry around and detonate if need be (like blowing up the chasing vehicle...), but the rules seem kind of vague.

Any ideas?

Edit: This might have been better for the Gear section, but oh well.
« Last Edit: <11-25-14/1820:49> by 8-bit »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <11-25-14/1931:23> »
I'd treat it like a riot shield for melee attacks and defensive purposes.  This should be clarified though, certainly.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-14/0057:04> »
Not sure how I would feel about letting someone use a shaped charge as a defensive object let alone a melee weapon.  I'm sure the compound would be stable but there would have to be potential for...mishap.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <11-26-14/0139:49> »
The only potential for mishap would be in the event that someone hit you with an electrical attack.  Then you're holding a shaped charge when it goes off.  You won't get the full blast, but you're gonna feel it in the morning (if you survive to morning).
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Adamo1618

« Reply #4 on: <02-26-15/1644:16> »
I find it way too expensive, considering it inflicts as much damage as a rating 20 explosive at ten times the price. It has lower availability but also lower AP. It needs to be rebalanced, imo.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-26-15/2044:49> »
Then you're holding a shaped charge when it goes off.  You won't get the full blast, but you're gonna feel it in the morning (if you survive to morning).

I had the exact opposite understanding from the text - that it's something you can hold onto and explode in someone's face. Where does it say what skill standard shield attacks use?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-26-15/2249:32> »
. . .

WHY are people talking about an item used to shield surrounding area from the back-blast of an explosive as if it where a ballistic shield type item?!

Just because it's called a 'shield' doesn't mean it's something you strap to your arm!

*facedesk*
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

8-bit

« Reply #7 on: <02-26-15/2317:26> »
Talk about some serious thread necro; that last post was from 3 months ago.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-27-15/0353:32> »
Just because it's called a 'shield' doesn't mean it's something you strap to your arm!
It has an exotic weapon attack skill. I couldn't find a mention of which skill shields use in the CRB, but I'm guessing that's not it - which would suggest it's an attack unique to the blast shield ... pretty straight forward from there.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-27-15/0427:36> »
Considering it shows up as neither an Exotic Weapon OR as Armor...

*sighs* It is a big ass hunk of metal you drop down to contain a blast IT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU STRAP TO YOUR ARM! I've notice no-one saying it has a skill can quote from where.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-27-15/0514:29> »
p. 104 Run&Gun:
Handle
straps in the center allow it to be carried and used like
a shield until it’s deployed.
To use as a melee
weapon, wielders must have Exotic Weapon (Blast
Shield) skill; the accuracy rating of the item is 4.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-27-15/0533:40> »
Ahhuh.... riiight... and people thinking that 20P -4AP is what they would get using it in combat?

"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-27-15/0841:25> »
As long as the thermite strips and blast charges are set, do you have an opinion that's open to discourse as to why it shouldn't be 20P -4AP?
« Last Edit: <02-27-15/0847:14> by Novocrane »

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-27-15/1557:01> »
As long as the thermite strips and blast charges are set, do you have an opinion that's open to discourse as to why it shouldn't be 20P -4AP?

Sure, as soon as you explain how in the hell you're going to actually do that to someone in combat.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <02-27-15/1603:04> »
It certainly reads to me as if it's a 'shield' that gives pretty much no defensive value, and can be detonated in two ways, either on a target surface using magnets or adhesive, or in combat against a target using Exotic Weapon (Blast Shield), accuracy 4.

In practice it's mainly effective as a way to breaking through a surface with minimum setup time, as it's hideously expensive for a one shot combat device.

It's a walk up, push onto wall, move back, detonate, walk through new door, device.