NEWS

[5e IC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II

• 321 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #75 on: <12-02-14/1804:12> »
While Sam and Doc go to give the Rover a hero's burial, Ace busies himself by scrounging anything useful for his booby-traps from the garage.  A couple rolls of tape, a few pin nails, and two spools of fishing line later, and Ace is back in the kitchen snatching bottles off the counter as Katsina washes them.  The doors are easy, all he needs is a little balance with the bottles, and should anyone turn the knob or push the door forward, and they'll come crashing down.  The windows are another matter.  He anchors the pin nails in the molding, two on each side near the bottom, and a third and forth on the top strip of molding, and then he runs the line around each nail and loops it around a beer bottle on a nearby table.  Anything comes through this window, and crash! he thinks, pleased with the work. 

Back in the kitchen, Ace empties out as many cans of energy drink as he can find, noting that Katsina is nearly done with her work.  With the tape, Ace wraps up the aluminum cans to the tune of a half roll a piece, and then uses his hand razors to cut off the top.  Should Ace decide to fill these with his explosive of choice, the barrier won't hold, but at least it should direct a lot more of the energy outward.  Thinking back to his design, Ace uses the rest of the tape facing outward on each can so that Sam can stick them wherever he'd like.  He's not completely sold on the idea of using explosives in this neighborhood, or at least at this time, but he's not sure it's wise to be contrary at the moment either.  A middling plan with a united team is certainly better than even a great plan and a divided front.  And his bottle rigging is a far sight from a "great plan,"  to begin with. 

Ace checks his comm, frowns, and looks to Katsina before sending off his own message.  <<@Katsina [Ace] Well, our stay here may be short lived.  We really need to compare notes.>>
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #76 on: <12-02-14/1814:04> »
Katsina stops carving for a second when the message from Ace comes through.

<<@Ace [Katsina] Let's talk now while we have some privacy. Sam and Chino are out. Doc is in VR and Ohanzee's asleep.>>

She stands up and leaves Doc in the VRing in the office and Ohanzee sleeping in the sleeping loft. She goes downstairs and waits for Ace in the dining room next to the kitchen, where they'll have a view of the back entrance and out the front-facing windows of the living room. She then whispers something to herself and takes off her mask, setting it on the table in front of her.
« Last Edit: <12-02-14/1818:32> by Tecumseh »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #77 on: <12-02-14/2147:42> »
Katsina  whispers something to herself and takes off her mask, setting it on the table in front of her.

It's strange, but for whatever reason Ace's eyes followed the mask down to its resting place before ticking up sharply to look Katsina straight in the face.  And he was disarmed.  The dark hair against her pale light skin, the high cheekbones, and the small angular eyes graying under the lack of sleep, she looked almost elven.  She could probably pass for a teenager, but Ace pegged her for 22.  And Hungarian.  And he'd seen her before, like without the mask, he was sure of that.

"Alright Kat," he says, racking his hands across his eyes, then pauses.  "Wait, you hate being called that, don't you?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <12-03-14/0110:31> »
Katsina opens her mouth to say something, but the pauses at Ace's comment. She thinks on the question for a second, before shaking her head slightly. She speaks more slowly than she did at dinner. Despite her assurances, she's looking and acting much more tired than when she was cleaning the kitchen.

"No, I don't think I hate it. I don't have any recollection of using it before. As best I can tell, I thought of it an hour ago. I'm not even quite sure what my name is. I have a SIN with a name but I don't know if it is fake or not."

As Ace sits across from her, she holds something up. It's the piece of wood that she's been carving, which has taken the form of a small figurine. It looks like a peasant woman wearing a cloak and hood. The robe is decorated with geometric angles. The woman herself is simple and doesn't have a face. She holds it out to Ace.

"I want you to have this. Don't touch it yet. Let me put it in your jacket, or somewhere you can reach it. If you get into trouble, or a situation where there's danger - more danger than now, I mean - grab it. A spell will go off, a strong one. It will help you sense what's happening around you, even what you can't see. It will help keep you safe."

She gets up to put the figurine where Ace wants it. She then sees that Ace wants to text instead of talk, so she uses her other hand to put her mask back on so she can use DNI. She whispers to herself again. There's a small *click* from the mask, and then it's back in place.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #79 on: <12-03-14/0201:36> »
Sam and Chino easily send the flaming Rover over the cliff. It's their second Viking funeral in as many hours if you count APB's send-off.

They are cold and tired. Business complete, they turn back to the Patrol Snowski. The prospect of a freezing drive back to house is not pleasant. It's already windy and being exposed on the moving vehicle is just going to make it that much worse as it speeds along. Chino takes the front position and Sam envelops him from behind.

They are only a few moments into their drive when their vision is interrupted by an exploding fireball about a hundred meters in front of them and thirty meters off the ground. Seconds later a transmission comes through from Doc:

<<<@Chino,Sam [Doc] We had a visitor looking for us, he's gone now.  They probably know we are somewhere near Aspen, but I don't think they know exactly where.  Be careful on your way back to the house and keep an eye out for a crashed Cyberspace Designs Dalmatian.  It could have some useful information in it.  Don't go out of your way for it, but if you see it, let's bring it back.>>>

Chino drives the Snowski forward. The drone appears to have crashed on a tall Aspen tree just to the side of the highway. The drone wreckage falls to the ground upside down in a burning heap. The desire to investigate it is offset by the knowledge that someone might come looking for it, or maybe for the survivors of the chopper you downed not long ago. Also, the fact that it is on fire is a deterrent.

8-bit

« Reply #80 on: <12-03-14/0235:46> »
<<<@Chino,Sam [Doc] We had a visitor looking for us, he's gone now.  They probably know we are somewhere near Aspen, but I don't think they know exactly where.  Be careful on your way back to the house and keep an eye out for a crashed Cyberspace Designs Dalmatian.  It could have some useful information in it.  Don't go out of your way for it, but if you see it, lets bring it back.>>>

<<@Doc, Sam [Chino] Yeah, we see it. It's right fragging next to us. And on fire. I don't think it's possible to bring it back.>>

Chino looks around to make sure nobody is watching. The position they are in is dangerously open and unconcealed. "Well, Sam, what do you think? I don't really think carrying back a flaming drone is a good idea. I don't know about just leaving it though."

He looks behind him and sees tracks. That's not going to help us.

He takes a closer look at the drone. "Actually, I'm not sure we have to worry about it. I don't think this thing is going to be functioning any time soon."

He turns back to Uncle Sam, and looks past him. "They must be pretty close, we better start covering our tracks. Any ideas?"
« Last Edit: <12-03-14/1953:18> by 8-bit »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #81 on: <12-03-14/1910:34> »

Ohanzee dreams...

The colors are amazing. Gold and blue and green, a sunset like you never see in the city where the smog leaves the sky a drab brown instead of the scintillating rainbow he was observing on the tropical beach as the greenish blue waves roared and crashed upon the shore. Salty air filled his lungs as he breathed in, and in seeming seconds the sky darkened into deep reds, then purples, and finally the deep blue of evening. In thermo, the world was alive wit color though - the water still a warm 27 degrees. The sand, cooling rapidly, was just over 25. The trees were cooler still. The humid air was around 22 though it felt cooler because of the breeze off of the ocean.  Shifting to the astral, the rainforest the edged up to the beach was positively vibrant as nocturnal creatures stirred and went about their lives.

"The wireless here is crap" said a voice, and a man Ohanzee had sworn was not there a moment before, kicked at the sand on the beach. Ohanzee recognized him as Doc, née Crumpled.

Broken out of his reverie, Ohanzee began to panic as he could not recall where he was or what he was supposed to be doing. Which was just as well, as a dragon appeared overhead, thundering displeasure at the intrusion of mere mortals into its domain.

"Who disturbs my slumber?" roared the beast, its astral aura nearly blinding to the dwarf.

AROs lit up around the flying creature like the lights of Old Vegas. Or New Vegas, for that matter, though now it was all AROs rather than extravagant physical lights.

"We've got to move before that chopper comes round again! Can you distract them with an illusion?" Sam this time, and Ohanzee turned to see him crouched behind a burnt out car. Blood dripped from his leg onto the pavement. When Ohanzee looked, Doc was gone, along with the tropical beach. This was an inner city, probably Denver, and Ohanzee judged the temperature to be closer to 15 degrees. The dragon had been replaced by a helicopter, shockingly similar to the one used by the strike team mere hours ago. He looked back to Sam to ask if he had a plan only to find the burning wreckage of the chopper laying in the snow and trees off of the road to Aspen.

"Whatever you think you can do to me will pale in comparison to what they'll do to you when they find you." the prisoner from the strike team was at Ohanzee's feet, broken and battered but still defiant. Ohanzee was aiming his Warhawk at the man's head. The gun fired even though he had not pulled the trigger or willed it through his trodes. Time slowed as the back of the man's head exploded out onto the snow, brain and blood covering the pure white powder. The man's eyes were open, staring at Ohanzee. A soft breath - the last - escaped the man's lips as he fell, painfully slowly, to the ground. The stench of feces and urine wafted up from the body where the man had soiled himself as his muscles relaxed completely in death. Ohanzee recoiled from the horrific sight, distraught over the slaughter.

<<<@Team [Doc] Looks like they were looking for us in Aspen.

Doc was again next to him, this time fiddling with the remains of some sort of flying drone. It was still burning brightly, but it did not burn Doc. Ohanzee thought to caution him about the fire, but the flames suddenly died down, revealing the prone form of Ace. "They've been tracking us the whole time. It was in his body!" But instead of blood and gore, the mangled body was metal and wires.

"I didn't know" Ace said softly, his face a mix of revenge and apology.

We're tearing ourselves apart. Ohanzee looked up from Ace to see Katsina's astral form floating above him. Look at them!

Ohanzee looked ahead of him and found himself sitting at a table in the dining room of the house with the entire team gathered around it. "What do we do?" they all asked at once, the sort of disturbing effect that one gets when dealing with insect spirits. They stared, demanding he respond.

"I don't know." was all he could manage before waking up to the dark loft. He'd forgotten to turn off his trodes, and he checked the time finding that he'd dozed for only a couple hours. He caught up on the messages from his commlink and considered responding, but reflecting on the dream he paused.

Was his dream telling him that he was stressed out from having the team look to him for guidance? Maybe he should just go back to sleep, leave the team to their own devices for a little longer, not alert them to the fact that he was conscious. Procrastinate.

But he was a leader. He had extensive knowledge of the psychology of leadership, group dynamics, team management. He had an innate understanding of the social aspects of group hierarchy and encouraging people to build loyalty and follow orders. And if his earlier dream was to be believed, he had no qualms with taking the lead. The truth was, LEADING was not the problem. Or rather, it wasn't what scared him. In a flash he realized that what was eating at him was that he hadn't been leading, he had been directing.

The distinction was small, but integral to what makes a good leader. A leader's job isn't to make all of the decisions, or even the majority of them, it was to encourage those under you to reach their potential. It was to garner a cooperative atmosphere. It was to help them reach their own conclusions in their areas of expertise. Provide ideas, ask questions. But leave the decisions to those that have the most appropriate skill, and support them in what they decide. When faced with a problem, the best leaders won't start by handing down orders, they'll start by asking "what do you guys think?"

And so now he approached the decision of whether to respond to the messages he had read with a different perspective. Instead of fear of having to be the crutch, he had to decide whether the team even needed his input - from what he could see, they were handling things quite competently. Maybe a "good job, team?"

But he kept coming back to Doc's text. They are looking for us in Aspen. So the ruse failed. Not that he expected it would work, but he had hoped. We need a plan B to shake our pursuers - when they find the burned out rover, they'll concentrate their efforts here.

"Can you distract them with an illusion?" Sam's question from his dream surfaced. He hadn't known he could create illusions, but both of his dreams seemed to indicate that he could. The spell appeared in his mind - he DID know how to create them! But how could that throw them off our trail?

A good leader would start by asking the question.

>>@Team [Ohanzee]: I forgot to turn my trodes off. If anybody asks, I'm still sleeping, but I wanted to get your input on how to misdirect our pursuers - they're a little close and taking out the drone and burning the rover pretty much alerts them to us being in the vicinity. We need to throw them off our scent. Best I got is stealing another car and sending it on autopilot to another town. It gets reported stolen and found abandoned, maybe they put two and two together and think we switched vehicles. What do you guys think?

Ohanzee lays there and "listens" to the team discuss their options. His eyes are still heavy and before long he is drifting back to sleep. Just before he loses consciousness again, he wills the trodes offline so they will no longer disrupt his sleep.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #82 on: <12-04-14/2034:24> »
<<<@Chino,Sam [Doc] We had a visitor looking for us, he's gone now.  They probably know we are somewhere near Aspen, but I don't think they know exactly where.  Be careful on your way back to the house and keep an eye out for a crashed Cyberspace Designs Dalmatian.  It could have some useful information in it.  Don't go out of your way for it, but if you see it, lets bring it back.>>>

<<@Doc/Chino [Sam] Got eyes on it right now. It's fragged and burning.>>

"Well, Sam, what do you think? I don't really think carrying back a flaming drone is a good idea. I don't know about just leaving it though."
"Actually, I'm not sure we have to worry about it. I don't think this thing is going to be functioning any time soon."

Sam frowns as he looks at the flames licking at the wreckage of the drone before him. Damn. These bastards are close to us. I'd hoped we'd have a bit more time at the safehouse.

"It's functioning perfectly as a blazing beacon in the night. We should make haste away from here as quickly as possible,"

"They must be pretty close, we better start covering our tracks. Any ideas?"

Sam scrunches his brow up and thinks, looking around at the trees all around them. "I suppose we could drag a tree branch behind us as we go? To be honest, I'm not sure it matters. If they're this close to us already... I'm not sure it even matters." Sam wears an expression of grim purpose on his massive knotted face as uncomfortable thoughts go through his head. I swear to the great ghost, I will blow that obelisk into tiny little bits before I let anyone take it from me.

As they ride back, he gets the group message from Ohanzee.

>>@Team [Ohanzee]: I forgot to turn my trodes off. If anybody asks, I'm still sleeping, but I wanted to get your input on how to misdirect our pursuers - they're a little close and taking out the drone and burning the rover pretty much alerts them to us being in the vicinity. We need to throw them off our scent. Best I got is stealing another car and sending it on autopilot to another town. It gets reported stolen and found abandoned, maybe they put two and two together and think we switched vehicles. What do you guys think?

<<@Team [Uncle Sam] Sounds like a good plan.>>
« Last Edit: <12-05-14/0127:30> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <12-04-14/2259:56> »
With his meat sitting numbly in the warm office in the house, Doc continues to keep an eye on things in the Matrix.  He's got audio and video feeds running from all of the available inputs.

Hearing the conversation on the snowmobile, he chimes in:
<<<@Team [Doc] A reminder about the Drone: They aren't necesarrily that close.  They could have been anywhere in the world controlling that drone, and the rigger ditched early to hide where he was.  Likewise they only know that we *found* their drone, not where we are.  Theyv'e probably got a pretty good idea, but they've not found where we are.  From observing the behavior of the drone before I tripped on my dick I'm fairly sure they didn't find any trace of us, and we've got the spirit to thank for that.  I don't know much (read: anything) about Astral security so I'll leave that to Katsina and Ohnazee, but I'm pretty sure we are good for at least a few more hours.  Lets get a good nights sleep and regroup in the morning.>>>

He's really looking forward to repairing his newly obtained deck and getting to sleep.
« Last Edit: <12-04-14/2310:55> by Zweiblumen »
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #84 on: <12-05-14/0332:46> »
Katsina finishes her conversation with Ace. She puts her mask back on and finds some messages waiting for her from Ohanzee, Sam, and Doc. She sighs and thinks for a moment, her thinking slowed by the late hour combined with accumulating drain from her alchemical preparations.

<<@Team [Katsina] No hits on the spell. We're clear at the house. Checking the astral.>>

Ace walks into the living room and crashes on a couch. Katsina sits at the foot of the couch and slips into the astral for a minute. She reemerges to find Ace already asleep.

<<@Team [Katsina] Astral looks clear. Sam, Chino, you should bug-out. If they're patrolling with drones then the odds are good they're patrolling with spirits too. White Raven should keep you concealed but we shouldn't put that to the test. Let's get you home and warm before their backup arrives.>>

She leaves the car-stealing proposal to those who know how to steal cars and how to drive them. It sounds overly complicated to her, plus she's not in a position to get up to speed on the specifics at the moment.

8-bit

« Reply #85 on: <12-05-14/0346:27> »
"I suppose we could drag a tree branch behind us as we go? To be honest, I'm not sure it matters. If they're this close to us already... I'm not sure it even matters."

Chino frowns but shakes his head. "All right, let's do that. Anything helps."

<<@Team [Uncle Sam] Sounds like a good plan.>>

<<@Team [Chino] Agreed. It will have to wait for tomorrow, I mean, later today. I don't think we can do anymore tonight.>>

<<@Team [Katsina] Astral looks clear. Sam, Chino, you should bug-out. If they're patrolling with drones then the odds are good they're patrolling with spirits too. White Raven should keep you concealed but we shouldn't put that to the test. Let's get you home and warm before their backup arrives.>>

<<@Team [Chino] All right, on our way.>>

Chino and Sam quietly resume their drive. Chino says, "I've been thinking about what you said earlier. What do you mean by we were trying to destroy the obelisk?" His tone is inquisitive, but it's also laced with a hint of terror, as if Chino is expecting to hear something he doesn't want to hear, but he needs to ask anyway. His mind flashes back to that strange entity he had detected living inside of the team. He was starting to put two and two together.

Without warning, Chino's vision is blacked out as he sees crumpled and blood spattered humans laying around him, dying. A word echoes in his mind, 'Destroy, destroy, destroy, destroy ...' As it gets softer, his vision returns. Getting his bearings again, Chino realized the vision must have taken place in the space of a second, perhaps less. He quickly readjusted their course to compensate for the small amount he had drifted. I need to get back to the house before that happens again. I have the feeling this is only going to get worse ...

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #86 on: <12-05-14/0413:12> »
It had taken less than a minute to break off a few branches and fasten them to the back of the snowmobile, and it wasn't much of a disguise, but at least the tracks behind them now looked like there was a CHANCE they'd be gone by morning. A good man on the ground could still find them. I could still find them. But a drone probably wont be able to. The ride back, save for the intensely loud buzzing of the motor between both their legs, is quiet, tense almost. Like they both have something on their minds they don't really want to talk about. For a brief moment, his mind flashes back to another snowmobile ride, another mountain, another man. Another abrupt confession and another silent awkward ride home. But just as quick as the half memory had come, it's gone. With his arms wrapped around Chino's chest as they are, he can feel him inhale to speak. He stops daydreaming to listen.

"I've been thinking about what you said earlier. What do you mean by we were trying to destroy the obelisk?"

Sam hesitates for a moment, then remembers an old saying. In for a penny, in for a pound. He has no idea what pennies or pounds are, but he understands the meaning of the phrase. He sets his micro-transceiver to broadcast only to Chino. "I have in my possession a bomb that is too powerful and too specific in nature to have any purpose other than the destruction of that object. It is also too complicated in construction for me to have built it without the knowledge of the rest of the team. Despite it's complexity, I get the distinct impression I built it on the fly. All these things considered lead me to believe that, despite its seeming importance, our plan was to destroy it." While Chino is letting all of that process, another message comes in over the comm.

<<@Team [Uncle Sam] Roger that, Katsina. Bugging out.>>

Then, back to Chino once more, "Also, sooner or later we're not going to be able to lug that massive thing around with us anymore."
« Last Edit: <12-06-14/0125:43> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #87 on: <12-05-14/1840:03> »
"I have in my possession a bomb that is too powerful and too specific in nature to have any purpose other than the destruction of that object. It is also too complicated in construction for me to have built it without the knowledge of the rest of the team. Despite it's complexity, I get the distinct impression I built it on the fly. All these things considered lead me to believe that, despite its seeming importance, our plan was to destroy it."

Chino is quiet for a few moments as he thinks about what Sam just said.

"Also, sooner or later we're not going to be able to lug that massive thing around with us anymore."

As they start to pull into the neighborhood where the team is stationed, Chino says subvocally, making sure he is only broadcasting to Uncle Sam, "I think you're right. And I think the obelisk might have known that. I checked out a few of us earlier, astrally. What I saw was ... unsettling." Chino shakes his head. "I didn't want to mention it to anyone yet, but I think that the obelisk did something to us, something that is still inside of us and affecting us. I can't be sure, of course, but ..." Chino lets his voice trail off as he gets lost in his own thoughts. After another minute, he says, "I think it would be best not to tell this to the others." Chino goes quiet as he waits for Uncle Sam's response, or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: <12-05-14/1845:57> by 8-bit »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <12-05-14/2049:40> »
"I think you're right. And I think the obelisk might have known that. I checked out a few of us earlier, astrally. What I saw was ... unsettling."
"I didn't want to mention it to anyone yet, but I think that the obelisk did something to us, something that is still inside of us and affecting us. I can't be sure, of course, but ..." "I think it would be best not to tell this to the others."

"You're losing me, Chino. What do you mean, "The obelisk might have known that?" That we were planning on destroying it? Are you saying this thing is sentient? Also, what's different about us? Why do you think we're different? I put all my cards on the table with you, now come clean. What do you know?"

The thought that maybe it WASN'T just a serious car wreck that messed our memories up is starting to bother Sam.
« Last Edit: <12-06-14/0125:59> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #89 on: <12-05-14/2203:22> »
"You're losing me, Chino. What do you mean, "The obelisk might have known that?" That we were planning on destroying it? Are you saying this thing is sentient? Also, what's different about us? Why do you think we're different? I put all my cards on the table with you, now come clean. What do you know?"

"I'm coming clean with you, Sam. We all ended up with amnesia, with this obelisk thing, and you just told me you think we were trying to destroy it. We know this thing has some weird mojo going on with it. I noticed a strange entity, something I've never seen before in you, me, Doc, and Ohanzee. I don't know about Ace and Katsina. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I can't help but notice that when we planned to destroy this obelisk, we ended up with amnesia and something weird when I astrally looked at us. The only thing that I can think could cause this would be the obelisk." Chino stops for a few seconds to catch his breath. "I mean, really, what are the chances that all of us ended up with amnesia from that car crash? It doesn't matter how bad of a crash it was, the fact we all lived and all had the exact same side effect is conspicuous to me. Something had to happen, and I don't know what, but my thoughts are on that obelisk. I don't know if it's sentient, or can sense thoughts and is programmed to defend itself, but I think it did something, and I'm not sure what."

Chino turns a corner before saying, "I don't know how we're different, or if what I saw is affecting us at all. What I do know is that something that is not supposed to be there is there, and I have no idea what it is."
« Last Edit: <12-05-14/2204:58> by 8-bit »