NEWS

Char Gen Question

• 5 Replies

gfrobbin84

• Newb
« on: <10-31-14/1444:13> »
In missions what is the ruling if I take Magic D for Adept Magic 2 then buy ware that brings me down to 2 Essence and 0 magic can I spend the 15 karma at chargen to go back to 2 magic?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <10-31-14/2034:49> »
RAW legal per your other thread.
I know its been done by plenty of people on these boards so far.
Myself, I like the feel of loosing & gaining back magic via karma & initiation.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-14/0703:58> »
Just be careful if you're using Hero Lab--it wants you to use your original attribute, as if the Essence loss were a sort of "negative augmentation" for your Magic stat.  I think they have it wrong (because there's no way to remove that "augmentation") and you have it right, but that's the interpretation they went with.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-14/1644:55> »
You can add permanent adjustments to compensate for it.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <11-16-14/1242:05> »
Interesting, so Hero Lab is basically treating essence as an "adjustment" to your existing rating ?

So it starts you/leaves you at 2, you pay karma from 2 to raise it, then whatever your at the Essence then reduces it ?

If it worked that way, you'd basically have the ability to initiate even after going below 1 essence which isn't an option right now AFAIK.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #5 on: <12-02-14/1643:09> »
The only current way to initiate after going < 1 essence is Improved Attribute (Magic), which still gives you a minimum of 1 possible magic point, so you can still initiate.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal