NEWS

The Continental in John Wick

• 9 Replies

Rafkin

• Newb
« on: <10-28-14/1138:18> »
I just watched the movie John Wick and I thought the hotel, The Continental, would fit in nicely with the Shadowrun world. In the movie it's a hotel that caters to hitmen and others "in the life".

Its got 24/7 medical staff, underground club/bar, and it's neutral ground. No killing each other. That's about all it shows in the movie but I'm thinking more could be added for a Shadowrun game.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-14/1141:49> »
Sounds like a good safehouse, which we already have a bunch of rules for in SR4 that one could take a look at.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-14/1825:25> »
Oh John Wick is extremely Shadowrun!  I loved Charlie the Cleaner, and I'm going to put him into my games as a contact without a doubt.  "Reservation for 12 please."

I'm definitely going to put the Continental into my game as well, as a place for the upper echelon of the shadow community to rest, relax, and not be afraid of getting ganked by their rivals.  And of course, there's only one punishment for someone who violates the hotel's rules: death.  At first I was thinking that I'd put some shadowy organization behind the hotel, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that maybe all the criminal syndicates need something like this.  There are going to be times when the Yakuza and the Vory need to meet up, and to have a pre-arranged place that is neutral and protected makes perfect sense.  The corps would know about it and use it for meets as well, but it could just be an ultra-discrete hotel otherwise.  They certainly cater to the shadows, but they don't have to be exclusive.

The fact that the Continental exists, and the criminals all have their own economy that can't be tracked or traced just feels like Shadowrun.  And, if my understanding is correct, each of those gold coins represents a favor or job.  Which means John Wick did a LOT of favors and jobs.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

gyrobot

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-04-14/2357:50> »
So a Jackpoint for meatspace? Only one rule. No broadcasting anything at the continental. And commlink that is caught leaking info out is death.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <11-05-14/0743:22> »
I imagine they also dislike recording then, such as with Cybereyes.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: <12-03-14/1845:13> »
I'm gonna have to go see John Wick....
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-14/2041:26> »
It's either a great case for or a great case against the old initiative rules, depending on your perspective.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Trencher Johnny

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-18-14/1755:30> »
What are the old initiative rules?
It rains on the wicked and the just alike.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-18-14/1939:43> »
What are the old initiative rules?
Character A rolls initiative, gets 26
Character B rolls initiative, gets 13
Character C rolls initiative, gets 2

A goes at 26
A goes again at 16
B goes at 13
A goes one last time at 6
B goes again at 3
C finally goes last at 2

If A was trying to kill C, A just murderized the fuck out of them by shooting C 6 times (SA) before C can do jack shit.

This is what made Cyberzombies terrifying because they could roll into the 40s. If you used these rules in SR3, they could hit 50+. And they had the weapons to just destroy everyone before even the street sams could act. There is an example of this in the novel Stranger Souls when the cyberzombie destroys a Secret Service detail before any of them even see him.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <12-18-14/2035:36> »
The current record-holders for 5th Edition are the Infected, as a number of them get an extra initiative die as well as increased Reaction caps. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?