NEWS

Beginner Box Set and Toolkit: Alphaware

• 46 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <10-27-14/2047:00> »
Now available to order:

Order The Shadowrun Beginner Box & Runner’s Toolkit: Alphaware Now!

And some great art from these posted on Tumblr:

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-14/0126:20> »
*looks through updated sheets*

...aaaand there's a lot errors still unfixed.

Like, no Rigger rules in QSR, tradition still Hermetic when it should be Shamanic, and Cards still have that ugly yellow color all kind of bad.

Ugh.
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-14/0346:56> »
Where did you see the updated sheets?  I couldn't find them with a cursory search.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-28-14/0913:30> »
You should have received (or be receiving) update notices from either CGL or DTRPG indicating that the files have been updated. When I extracted the ZIP archive, both folders had been amended with "Updated". Again, not sure as to exact changes...lots of files in there.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-28-14/1248:49> »

Like, no Rigger rules in QSR, tradition still Hermetic when it should be Shamanic, and Cards still have that ugly yellow color all kind of bad.

So one actual error.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-28-14/1941:27> »

So one actual error.

Should I have differentiated between "errors" and "missing stuff"? because last I checked, having stuff missing, that's an error.
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <10-28-14/2006:58> »
Then two errors, and a disagreement of opinion?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-29-14/0532:35> »
Deliberately leaving out Rigger rules sounds like a decision made from their side, so also a disagreement of opinion.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

lordmalachdrim

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-31-14/0939:54> »
Anyone else unable to get the discount coupon to work?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-31-14/1444:37> »
Sorry, haven't tried. Even with the coupon, still cheaper through Amazon... :-\

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #10 on: <11-21-14/2316:43> »
I recently picked up the Beginner Box (the only one that has shipped to my local stores so far). The results were...unimpressive. Review below:

The physical version of the Beginner Box has begun trickling into my local game stores, so I decided to check it out. I already own the core rulebook, but I thought hey, perhaps I can make good use of some of the materials for new players, and get some cool custom Shadowrun dice while I'm at it.

Photos can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/gVEgW

Let's start with the dice. Not only are they not in any way personalized as "Shadowrun dice" (they're plain, super-cheap blue dice with white pips), but they were visibly chipped and poorly painted. I've gotten higher quality dice from various CCGs and board games. But the shoddiness doesn't end there. Literally everything in this box can be had for free, or for a better value elsewhere (or both):

- The Quick-Start Rulebook is identical to the QSR that was released for free during Free RPG Day, and is still free from the Shadowrun website.
- The "Edge of Now" book is basically just a few pages from the early chapters of the Core rulebook copy and pasted into a booklet with some new fiction.
- The starter characters are different from the ones in the Core rulebook, but there are fewer of them.

Essentially, you're paying 33% of the cost of the Core rulebook for about 3% of the content. This isn't a good value for anyone already playing Shadowrun, and when compared to other "Starter Boxes" (Pathfinder's "Beginner Box", D&D5e's Starter Set, etc.) this isn't a good value for new players either. This is a shoddy, poorly-conceived ripoff that embarrasses the IP.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-22-14/0227:25> »
The Ms. Myth booklet is entirely original content.

At least give Critias credit where credit is due for that.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #12 on: <11-22-14/0255:47> »
That box is for people who have never tried SR but would like a taste of it. It's meant to be less covering than the CRB. I bought the PDFs and thought that for its purpose it was a pretty good product. The characters are interesting, their stories good and the missions quite good.

Sucks about the quality of the dice however.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-22-14/0855:48> »
Thanks for the review...nothing new on the content, but really disappointed re the dice.

Edit: Another point, price is ~$19 on Amazon...this has a lot of impact on the value proposition, for me at least.
« Last Edit: <11-22-14/1015:07> by AJCarrington »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <11-22-14/1017:45> »
I really wish we could have gotten that private Shadowrun 5 dice thing off the ground, because the example versions of those really looked nice. It's a shame the dice in the box aren't similar to that design.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!